Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
It has been a very, very, very long journey to go from concept to production on this incredible highly innovative piece known as the “dual intake manifold”. I am pleased to announce that the production work is finally done! The only piece remaining for a complete kit is the installation directions. For those more mechanically inclined, you won't need the directions. For those who aren't, they will be available shortly.

For those new to this board and haven't followed this journey this product is a full replacement of both your intake manifold and throttlebody. This new intake manifold flows better than your current stock heads can handle (under normal aspiration) and as much as a highly modified head can support. On the flow bench they are putting out over 180cfm @ 10” versus the stock unit at 135cfm @10”. The preproduction test model made 10 HP (SAE Corrected) to the rear wheel. As per normal, results will vary depending on your configuration, altitude and the tuning of your fuel management module.

There will be much debate over the pricing of this unit, however, unless you are a machinist by trade, a mechanical engineer by trade or a serious hobbyist, you won't always agree with the pricing. Even if you are you still might not but I personally don’t believe so. For those who do understand, and recognize the intense efforts, substantial upfront costs and so on, you will understand. The bottom line is not everyone will want one of these or will be able to justify the expense. This is perfectly okay!

There are several versions:
• Unpainted normal cast - $1195.00
• Gloss Black or Silver (color of cylinder head) powder coated - $1295.00
• Special requests – call for quote (my personal version will be painted closely to match my blurple color.

There is work involved to move the exiting stock items, such as TPS (must set correct ohms position on installation), fuel injectors and so on over to the new unit. For those who would prefer Kevin to do the work, he is offering to do it at $60.00 per unit.

The intake kit comes with everything except new air filters. These are on you. For those who saw my initial setup (http://www.innovativedesignconcepts.com ... hotos.html ) these babies were not cheap. There are less expensive options and yes you will need two filters. Kevin offers 2 styles of adapters 1) fits a standard Thunder bolt pattern (not the VTX one) and 2) the standard Harley type. These will sell for $50.00, however Kevin will include with the first 50 units at no cost. If you have another style filter, Kevin can custom build an adapter, please call him to discuss.

If you want to further customize the intake, such as having Kevin install some wet NOS nozzles, he can do so. Again, you’ll have to discuss with Kevin.

For those with the 2005 models and the coolant tank on the side, Kevin will be working a relocation solution so you can play too. If you’re mechanically inclined you can probably do this yourself.

WOT was the first to get his and states this is a piece of artwork (I’m jealous!). As soon as his injectors get back from RC Components, he’ll be installing.

We still haven’t named the intake; I kinda like X-Terminator (yeah I know it’s a spyware tool but I still like it).

Finally, I don’t own any part of this business, nor do I sell these units. I will try to answer those questions I can and will defer to Kevin on the remaining ones.

Kevin can be reached via his cell phone at 651-307-9926.
E-Mail is [email protected]

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Are their any dyno numbers on the final production model on a stock vtx...or one with pipes/intake?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Some one hurry up and get them on their bikes! I would love to see the numbers that they make and also the different looks that people will come up with to boot!!!

Way to go on the incredibly hard work and thanks for the update.

N8

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I can see one of these in my future :pepper1: :pepper1: :pepper1:

·
Registered
195 Posts
i hope you get a lapdance for that price!!!!!!!

wow thats alot of cake for that :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Okay everyone start complaining about the price on three... one... twoooo... Quit crying, its a custom piece, its gonna be expensive. I'm glad its so damn much, this way I don't have to be jealous of everyone and their brother that has enough money to go out and load their bikes with accessories. Its a serious investment, just like wheels or a fat tire kit. Go put on more tank trim and settle down.

H

·
0 Posts
Any official numbers for the production version installed on a bike? I think you are going to need that to get this item to sell.

G

·
0 Posts
I think if folks are willing to shell out several hudred dollars for an air cleaner they would be willing to buy this intake just for the look it will give their bike.

I dont think the price is out of line considering what after market parts cost for the VTX........

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Al...

this 10 hp at the wheel....was this on a stock X or on your modified motor? I still believe the throttlebody is limiting hp production but that setup COULD get me into the 120hp plus zone and maybe in the 140 tq range!

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
As one who has no connection to the project, I wish you all the best and a hearty congrats for this venture. It would have been so easy to do it for say, a H-D Road King instead. There would have been a zillion bikes out there for potential sales instead of just thousands.
Hopefully folks will think of your return on investment when they look at the price. What price should they be if only 100 or 1000 will be sold in the near future? Honda has come out with what, 4 different 1800's in 3 years? Makes it hard to gamble on an accessory fitting more than just a few bikes and that has a big affect on the aftermarket sales. Price and cost aren't as closely tied as sales volume and cost. Those that say "you'd sell twice as many at a lower price" can never explain to me why I should work twice as long to make the same or less $ than if I just made something else. Good luck and thanks for contributing to the X community :mcrider:

·
Registered
678 Posts
Hell just compare it to 6 degree triple trees at over $700. When you can get trees for a HD at half the price. This is a real piece of engineering - the price is set appropriately for the market. Good luck good selling

·
Registered
442 Posts
The price isn't that bad at all. If you're looking at dollar per horsepower it's very reasonable and that's what this part is all about. By the time you get the filters and everything setup your looking at 150-175 bucks per pony if the numbers are acurate for your application.

Brian

·
Registered
42 Posts
Price vs value

I have to chime in and admit the price looks forbidding but when you consider the engineering that went into this and the cost to produce the unit it is undeniably fair. People who shell out $500 or more for custom pipes shouldn't balk at paying for something that took this long to design, engineer and produce. I'm saving my nickels for this and hope to have one on before Summer gets here. I personally think this is a bargain to remove the biggest performance bottleneck this engine has. Every other performance mod should react more positively with this setup installed.

Just my humble opinion...

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
j1mmyj4m said:
Are their any dyno numbers on the final production model on a stock vtx...or one with pipes/intake?
I hope Kevin can get that done real soon and I'll post. There will also be those of us that are early adopters that will post our results as well when we get those done.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Re: Al...

Hermit said:
this 10 hp at the wheel....was this on a stock X or on your modified motor? I still believe the throttlebody is limiting hp production but that setup COULD get me into the 120hp plus zone and maybe in the 140 tq range!
That was on a stock motor with aftermarket pipes. I want to point out this was on a preproduction unit and a finely tunned PCIII. Like Hal says, we need to see some final production version results. Working Kevin to get those.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Glenn W said:
As one who has no connection to the project, I wish you all the best and a hearty congrats for this venture. It would have been so easy to do it for say, a H-D Road King instead. There would have been a zillion bikes out there for potential sales instead of just thousands.
Hopefully folks will think of your return on investment when they look at the price. What price should they be if only 100 or 1000 will be sold in the near future? Honda has come out with what, 4 different 1800's in 3 years? Makes it hard to gamble on an accessory fitting more than just a few bikes and that has a big affect on the aftermarket sales. Price and cost aren't as closely tied as sales volume and cost. Those that say "you'd sell twice as many at a lower price" can never explain to me why I should work twice as long to make the same or less $ than if I just made something else. Good luck and thanks for contributing to the X community :mcrider:
You're absolutely right. Kevin appreciates the support everyone has been giving him on this venture. There were so many times that the odds were just overwhelming and it would have been easy to walk away; he didn't and stayed the course. Now we all have something to add that will make even more unique and yes on a metric :)

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
That's impressive, txvtx! I can't afford one, but it's nice to see the innovation and dedication taken to produce a piece like that. Keep up the good work!

And may the cash heavy ones in the VTX family delight in supporting your efforts by opening up their wallets and showing off your hard work to the rest of the biking world. Take pride and have fun! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
841 Posts
That's a beautiful piece, Al...and I have no plans on buying one for my current bike. But this is one of the finest contributions I have seen to the X community. Congratulations and thanks for your perseverence.

BTW, Al, I originally found VTXOA in a link off of your web page two years ago. A VERY HEARTFELT THANK YOU FROM ME!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts