Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
VTX has been a little slower cranking than usual here lately. Went to crank it up this morning to ride it to work but it turned over too slow to start and the battery all but gave out. Put it on the charger on a slow charge and left it all day. Got home, put the battery back in and tried to crank it and it spun fast but quickly ran down again. Pulled it back out to see what kind of battery it was and saw the new date sticker on it, May 2007. Interstate motorcycle battery, well what do you know, 13½ years. Never put it on a maintainer in the winter and never had to charge it until now. I think Ill get another one.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
It’s lived a good life. Do the responsible thing and let it cross that copper bridge into the heavenly recycling center. I’m sure you will love the new one just as much.

Stay strong friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
Auto or Motorcycle Batteries can be tricky. A battery can die all at once or very slowly and sometimes fool you and leave you stranded. A load test on a battery tells you it's true condition. When I see the first sign of trouble with a battery I go ahead and replace it or I'll wait to ride until I get a new battery.

·
Registered
7,742 Posts
Before throwing good $$ away, do the simple things like fully charge, take to a Auto parts store for the free 100A auto load test. THEN if it's weak, you are already there so buy a new battery. Make sure terminals are cleaned, a dab of di-electric grease on them, and tighten with a socket or wrench, never a screwdriver. And why press your luck, invest $25-$30 into a Battery Tender Jr.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts