Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had replaced my Pet cock with a new one a few years ago but was having other Tank and Fueling issues So I think all of the off and on from pulling the tank and replacing fuel lines and filters wore it out pretty quickly. This past weekend I went to go for a Ride after letting the bike sit for like 3 weeks and when I turned the pet cock down I pulled my hand away with varnish on it. I decided it was time to order a new one. I also decided that I wanted to replace all of the bulk fuel hose with the Factory Preformed stuff so I ordered the lines that runs from the pet cock to the fuel pump and from the fuel pump to the carb. I kept having issues with the bulk hose wanting to kink or not sealing well on the components they were fitted to. I ordered these parts from Honda Directline so it will be some time before they arrive. I'm also hoping that these parts are still available and not on back order. I'm also hoping that this time around I get everything fixed and it stays fixed for a while.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Sorry about the issues, but keep us posted on how the replacements work out. I'm wondering where the 'varnish' came from, since gas shouldn't melt the tank varnish?

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the issues, but keep us posted on how the replacements work out. I'm wondering where the 'varnish' came from since gas shouldn't melt the tank varnish?
I don't think it was a very fast leak so as the fuel leaked it evaporated leaving a varnish-like residue.

This is the part that I hate about ordering from Honda direct line. I ordered these parts over the weekend and received their order confirmation. I accept that nobody picked it up until Monday but it's now been a week and I haven't received any tracking info. Now I don't need the parts in my hands right now so I'm not upset that they aren't on my doorstep but if I had ordered from the dealer on Saturday they would have had the parts in before the end of the coming weak. I feel like I should have a tracking # at this stage.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
This is the part that I hate about ordering from Honda direct line. I ordered these parts over the weekend and received their order confirmation. I accept that nobody picked it up until Monday but it's now been a week and I haven't received any tracking info. Now I don't need the parts in my hands right now so I'm not upset that they aren't on my doorstep but if I had ordered from the dealer on Saturday they would have had the parts in before the end of the coming weak. I feel like I should have a tracking # at this stage.
I was a purchasing agent for a big company for 5 years, and can say an order confirmation just means it's ordered, not in stock or shipped. The better on-line web sites offer you e-mail confirmation of the order and provide a shipping notification with tracking. When ordering parts made in Japan, there is a good chance non-stock items could be coming all the way from Japan (through customs) and could be significantly delayed.

Anytime you're in a hurry for parts I advice calling before ordering to see about stock on hand availability. If they have no on-hand stock try another place that does.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was a purchasing agent for a big company for 5 years, and can say an order confirmation just means it's ordered, not in stock or shipped. The better on-line web sites offer you e-mail confirmation of the order and provide a shipping notification with tracking. When ordering parts made in Japan, there is a good chance non-stock items could be coming all the way from Japan (through customs) and could be significantly delayed.

Anytime you're in a hurry for parts I advice calling before ordering to see about stock on hand availability. If they have no on-hand stock try another place that does.
Oh, I would guarantee that nothing that I ordered was in stock at Honda Direct line. I know that pretty much anything I order from them they have to special order from Honda. But My Local dealer would special order it and have it within a week's time. They should be able to do the same. I'm not saying that they should have it to me in a week's time even though that would be awesome. but I think I should have a tracking # generated at this point.

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Oh, I would guarantee that nothing that I ordered was in stock at Honda Direct line. I know that pretty much anything I order from them they have to special order from Honda. But My Local dealer would special order it and have it within a week's time. They should be able to do the same. I'm not saying that they should have it to me in a week's time even though that would be awesome. but I think I should have a tracking # generated at this point.
My 2 cents, if someone doesn't give you a tracking number when they take the order, someone dropped the ball with the order. Likely not even placed. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
My 2 cents, if someone doesn't give you a tracking number when they take the order, someone dropped the ball with the order. Likely not even placed. Good luck.
I've worked in warehouses and managed Shipping/Receiving departments, and stockrooms, and I can say that a tracking number is only generated when the order has been processed for shipping. Customer Service can't provide a tracking number when the order hasn't been processed for shipping. Your order needs to be relayed to the warehouse, the order pulled from inventory, and then boxed and processed with the carrier for shipping. After all that is done, a tracking number is generated from whatever database is being used for shipping (e.g. UPS, Fed Ex).

It's not uncommon for a tracking number to show up the following day, depending on what time of day the order was taken, and how late the warehouse stays open. If your order is taken in the morning, and their is stock, you might get a tracking number that day. Even Amazon Prime doesn't always provide a tracking number same day and they are the biggest shippers on the planet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't think it was a very fast leak so as the fuel leaked it evaporated leaving a varnish-like residue.

Why don’t you support your local dealer? Your post reads like you knew Honda Direct Line would be slower than the local dealer, but chose them anyway.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why don’t you support your local dealer? Your post reads like you knew Honda Direct Line would be slower than the local dealer, but chose them anyway.
Well, the only day that my local dealer and my schedules mesh is Saturday mornings. They won't order parts for me without coming in and swiping my card (ridiculous I know LOL). And Like I said before I'm not in a big rush I didn't and don't need to have the parts in my hand last weekend or today or even by this weekend (even though that would be nice). I'm just saying that based on expectations set by many other OEM Parts dealers in the distant & not too distant future It doesn't take this long to special order & receive parts. Unless something is back-ordered it usually takes less than a week. I know this from experience on both sides of the counter. It's been a week and a half now with no update. I also acknowledge the possibility that something could be back-ordered or not even available anymore. It's just frustrating the way they leave you in the dark is all that I'm saying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, the only day that my local dealer and my schedules mesh is Saturday mornings. They won't order parts for me without coming in and swiping my card (ridiculous I know LOL). And Like I said before I'm not in a big rush I didn't and don't need to have the parts in my hand last weekend or today or even by this weekend (even though that would be nice). I'm just saying that based on expectations set by many other OEM Parts dealers in the distant & not too distant future It doesn't take this long to special order & receive parts. Unless something is back-ordered it usually takes less than a week. I know this from experience on both sides of the counter. It's been a week and a half now with no update. I also acknowledge the possibility that something could be back-ordered or not even available anymore. It's just frustrating the way they leave you in the dark is all that I'm saying.
With over 80 container ships waiting to be unloaded at the Los Angeles port, I think we need to get used to waiting. If it isn’t already in the US it’s going to take awhile.

·
Registered
13,290 Posts
Varnish is probably from a fuel leak at the tank connector.
I had that once and noticed I could turn the petcock easily.
Snugged up the nut and all was well.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, thats a possibility even though I recently tightened it, but it also doesn't work. I can turn the petcock off and leave the bike on and it would Idle till the tank was empty.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I had that problem about 10 years back.
On a ride and smelled gas, stopped and looked at the pet-cock valve and sure enough - slow leak coming from the mounting bolt to the tank. Tightened it up, and... problem solved. I remember later when I got home, cleaning up the threads and with a bit of blue lock-tight, I have never had another issue with it.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So I finally broke down & called in on Friday. The 2 Fuel lines that I was really hoping to get my hands on are no longer available. I was supposed to receive an email informing me of this and also that someone was trying to find them through Means other than direct from Honda. But that email never got sent. The person I spoke to took my name and # and said the person trying to locate the missing parts would call me later that day to provide more detail. They never called.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Ordered a few small parts from partzilla on the 11th. All were showing in stock. Checked the order today. One is going to be available today! So, the parts could have been sent days ago if they were in stock like it said. If I had known this, I would have just went to my local dealer. Partzilla has gone downhill since years ago in my opinion

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Called in again today because I still haven't heard from anyone. The guy who picked up the phone this time actually did the dealer searches for the 2 discontinued parts with me on the phone. It took literally 1 minute. Sadly nobody had the parts. But he couldn't refund my money and get the parts shipped out. The guy who never called me last Friday has to do it. Now I have to wait for him to not call me again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts