Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my VTX1300C over the summer, and now that its winter, I've decided to take advantage of my time and do some work. I already did the hole-saw mod a couple weeks after I got the bike. I also just recently ordered an Arlen Ness Big Sucker air kit (because it was a heck of a deal) and it should be here soon.

My question is, is anyone running a set up like this one (air intake and hole-saw mod)?

If so, what do you recommend for jetting? I have heard a lot of people do the "scar" mod (i think its called) but I dont know much about that. Would that be something to look into?

I'm a newbie with the VTX, but im pretty handy so any ideas or advice would be great so i can get started.

Thanks!

·
Registered
347 Posts
Whatever type tuning you do you want to do it on a mild day around 70 degrees. If you do it in the winter it will run like you know what in the summer. If it were me I'd buy a tuning kit and follow the procedure to get it running like a scald cat. It only takes a little bit more to go first class.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
hole saw mod is nothing now since the new intake is going to replace it.

get a factory pro kit on the way and read the directions several times before you start.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
:agree: with above i did it with FP stage 3 and never regret good luck :mrgreen: . Plus I wish you Welcome to the VTXOA :popcorn:

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Welcome to the VTXOA from the southeast corner of NC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Whatever type tuning you do you want to do it on a mild day around 70 degrees. If you do it in the winter it will run like you know what in the summer. If it were me I'd buy a tuning kit and follow the procedure to get it running like a scald cat. It only takes a little bit more to go first class.
We got a shop thats climate controlled, so Im not too worried about the winter.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess my main drawback no the whole thing is someday, im gonna want an actual exhaust system. I really dont want to buy a whole jet kit just to have to buy another down the road.

But i guess there probably isnt much of a way around that!

Another question (if anyone has an answer) is how much of a difference, as far as flow goes, does the hole mod in the exhaust make? is it more similar to stock or an aftermarket system?

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
As was stated get the Factory Pro 3rd stage kit. What you don't use put up until you get the pipes you want then use what you need from the rest of the kit. It will cover everything from stock pipes to after market pipes and air box.

·
Registered
347 Posts
We got a shop thats climate controlled, so Im not too worried about the winter.
Creature comforts isn't what I'm referring to. To tune your bike properly you have to try a jet, ride the bike to see how it responds.Then go up or down in size,ride it ,see how it runs etc. Then move on to the next jet do the same thing, etc. etc. Adjust your slide etc. All of which can't be done in the your climate controlled shop. You have to go out and ride to tune. Your bike runs differently at different temps. If you tune your bike at 40 in the winter then ride at 90 in the summer it will run like dodo.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts