Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All .

My name is Mike, Im 25 and I just joined the forum, after purchasing a 2006 vtx1300r four days ago. I am interested in putting pipes on the bike as well as a new air induction system. The only problem I am running into, is installing the jetkit. I wrench on cars for a living, so i am mechanically inclined. The kit itself looks to be pretty straight forward and easy. My first question is, Im wondering if anyone has typed up a walkthrough with pictures to show how it is done? Also I heard that the fuel tank and seats have to be removed, and i did a search and cant turn up anything on how to remove those items, and i dont really want to force anything and break it, i like to have a straight forward guide to walk me through. If anyone could help and tell me how to remove the tank and seats or how to do the install that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for all the help in advance.
Ride safe and Ride smart

Mike

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
Hi mike,
My name's Jeffy and I like to eat apples.

Tank removal and airbox removal are here
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en
and here (part of the valve adjustment)
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en

Easiest to just remove the 3 bottom screws on the speedo surround, remove the gas cap, and lift off the whole speedo instead of disconnecting it. The wires may be clipped unde rthe right side of the tank so free those first.

Securing the forks is overkill...just don't let them swing.....prop the wheel straight with a cynderblock or bag of dirt . You don't need a lift either.

Seat,,,,front part is held on with an allen bolt through each of the chrome fender rails. There is a cap on the allen head that needs to get popped off. Use a 6MM allen socket and ratchet for those...they can be tight.
You dont need to remove the rear portion (I don't think...it's been a long time since I ditched the stocker)...but if you do...one bolt on the back and the two side bolts through the strap and bracket.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
welcome Mike,.....theres a lot fo info on here for you to use....

some of it comes with good natured humor so don't feel slighted....

its how it is...all in good fun

congrats on your X and happy modding , ride safe and often

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys for the quick response, nice to see people helping out. Now when the tank is off and the seat is out of the way, will i be able to get to everything i need on the carb? or no? Thank you again.

Mike

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
blackws6ta said:
Thanks guys for the quick response, nice to see people helping out. Now when the tank is off and the seat is out of the way, will i be able to get to everything i need on the carb? or no? Thank you again.

Mike
You'll need to remove the airbox as well.

Once all that is off....the carb is right there. You will need to tilt the carb out a little to remove the 4 float bowl screws. Loosen the plastic nut and remove the choke cable from its holder and lift it out a little. Then loosen the clamp that holds the carb to the intake manifold and pop the carb off the boot. Then you can tilt it to get the screws out (and also to get to the A/F screw a little easier. Don't forget to drain the float bowl first. I just carefully drop it down....stick your finger in there and hold the float up out of the way. Then you can work it down and swing it off to the right. It will pivot on the accelerator pump linkage.

It is really not to hard at all.

·
Registered
3,907 Posts
Welcome to the Board and the X family

1 - 7 of 7 Posts