Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there are more than one or two aspiring machinists and engineers on this list as well as a couple of real ones. I was wondering if anyone has plans for a jig for the frame for chopping the neck to rake out the bike.

Moreover, if so, are they willing to share it? We are looking at doing a couple of bikes down here in Southern Illinois and looking into what it will take to do it ourselves.

If there’s nothing out there, then our first step will be designing a general-purpose jig for the VTX frame and then extensions for raking out the neck and maybe conversion to a hard-tail.

If anyone has any comments or questions, we are all ears.

Thanks ahead for any feedback.

-James

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Be watching for Coyote's new method. He hooked up with a company called RoadRage, and they will be offering a rake and 6* trees combo I believe.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bareass172 said:
Sadly I doubt anyone would sell a jig like this, even if it was out there they'd likely be more interested in the $$ associated with doing the work themselves... :?

That's business though I suppose.
Well if we put together the CAD plans for it I see no 'good' reason to not share them. My money is made else where, this is just a good hobby.

If we do go through the trouble to do the plans instead of just building the jig, is there much community interest in them? (Depending of the quality of them of course).

In addtion to that, is there any interest the the jigs them self? I would assume anyone wanting a jig for work like this would be more than willing just to build it as well...

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
jmaes said:
In addtion to that, is there any interest the the jigs them self? I would assume anyone wanting a jig for work like this would be more than willing just to build it as well...
That's a lot of it, I bet people would be interested in the plans though, it would help them make one without the legwork of design and engineering time.
See if guys like Lamonster, T Rey or G Man step in on this one, they've actually done this kind of work whereas many of the guys on here haven't. :wink:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Give T Rey a hollar at T Rey customs in Louisville. I think that is about as close as you are going to get to S. Illy

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sailor77 said:
Give T Rey a hollar at T Rey customs in Louisville. I think that is about as close as you are going to get to S. Illy
Thanks for the info.

To start with, does any one of an exploded parts view of the frame or any thing looking like a spec drawings for it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Spike.

That’s a great start. We don't have the project bike down to the frame yet, so it's a little hard to get all the spec's.

I’m using AUTOcad, I assume anyone interested would be able to use this format. I know there are a couple of free applications to read DWG files.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Custom Bike builders offer this work themself! This is what keep them in business, beside, a jig would be very expensive!

Here is my raked frame by Highlander Custom Cycles

BTW, that is shawn Henderson, owner and builder customizing my VTX 1800.

RKip 8)

·
Registered
937 Posts
Your right, I considered this first as well, you get the trees and kit for one bike.

I didn't take this as a jig. I thought the question was can you obtain a jig for doing more than one bike. If you just want your bike raked, this may be a great option.

RKip

·
Registered
562 Posts
Frame

jmaes,

I just finished the frame on my first hardtail. The bike feels way lighter with the new frame, and the look..... 8) 8) 8) 8) Just have do a little more fab to the new tank and then tear it all down again for paint . Fun, fun, fun.....

If you can do the drawings why not find a local shop to build a jig for you. Thats what I would do.

Glenn (vtx-treme.com)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts