Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering how many guys plan on participating in the July 14 midnight run starting out in desplaines. A friend of mine told me it was a great time last year so I am going to participate this year.

Here is more info
Who's in...........?http://www.jerseypinecruisers.org/Midnighttour/tour.html

·
Registered
502 Posts
Don't know yet.........

........there is a ride that day and Sunday we want to do.

Not sure if we could make all 3 in 2 days.

(I'm getting old, ya know) :lol:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
dearsleigher said:
I'm going to have a booth there, come over and say hi.
Cool, I will look for you. What is your booth or station called and what will you be selling.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Take a suggestion from a former Jerseypine Cruiser (the club that puts on Midnight Tour), ride to Maryville Academy in Des Plaines but enter from the River Road entrance, pay the $10 per bike or car to park, then check out the vendors, enjoy talking with other riders and kicking tires, and then finally, watch as all the bikes empty out of the parking lots and when that is done, get back on your bike and ride the most direct route to the Sundance Saloon in Waukegan, IL. After you get there (hopefully before the lead bike group gets there) you can enjoy all the bikes pulling into that parking lot.

That is the only way I can guarantee you a good time with out the extreme risk that you face if you were to travel in the actual ride.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Travelin' Man said:
Take a suggestion from a former Jerseypine Cruiser (snip) watch as all the bikes empty out of the parking lots (snip)
That is the only way I can guarantee you a good time with out the extreme risk that you face if you were to travel in the actual ride.

You're not the first to 'hint' to me that there has been a problem or two in the past with this ride. (other than the obvious of riding in large groups IN THE DARK!)

Care to enlighten me/us any further???

I do like your idea which is probably what we will do as we have a ride Saturday and Sunday already.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
LetsRide said:
Travelin' Man said:
Take a suggestion from a former Jerseypine Cruiser (snip) watch as all the bikes empty out of the parking lots (snip)

You're not the first to 'hint' to me that there has been a problem or two in the past with this ride. (other than the obvious of riding in large groups IN THE DARK!)

Care to enlighten me/us any further???

I do like your idea which is probably what we will do as we have a ride Saturday and Sunday already.
I was a member of the Jerseypine Cruisers (JPC) from '95 until last year. I quit the club due simply to the "clique" that runs the club from behind the elected officers not wanting to take the necessary steps to make the ride at least a little safer. Although they work with the Des Plaines police, they really don't want to work with or perhaps more correctly can't get the departments of the jurisdictions that the ride goes thru to work with them. This is because while most police departments will try to help out a true charity cause such as the Ride for Kids, the Midnight Tour from the JPC is nothing more than a club fundraiser that provides money to the club so that they can have a holiday party or installation dinner (after election, in Febuary) and only have to pay $15 or $20 per person for a $50 per plate meal. Don't get me wrong, that is where all the money goes from the gate after expenses, the Cruisers do have 50/50 drawings all night long where half goes to the winner and half goes to Maryville, but this never amounts to anything like what they make from the gate after expenses.

Ok, that's the financial side of my problem with this ride, the other is truly a safety issue. The Cruisers have been relying on non police personnel to man intersections and turn points so as to stop other traffic while the ride goes thru, normally I would say fine, but at midnight on back country roads you can (and I have) run into situations where if the car drivers realize that you have no real authority to stop traffic they try to push past you and break into the group of bikes, which of course could cause a very large pile up of bikes. Who takes the liability in this situation? I know from being on the Chicagoland Ride for Kids Taskforce that the RFK event and all people working it are covered by the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation's $5,000,000 liability policy, the Cruisers only get AMA sanctioning and their rather small policy that only covers the club officers, not the individual club members from liability.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
DVS said:
Reggie, let me know when and were you guys are leaving from and we can ride out..
will do. Is the number you gave me before your cell phone?

·
Registered
194 Posts
rbx said:
DVS said:
Reggie, let me know when and were you guys are leaving from and we can ride out..
will do. Is the number you gave me before your cell phone?
YES, I got your message Thursday. I apologize but I was already riding and didn't want to call you back late.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I do not like the fact that they park you in. I got there around 7:30 walked around and saw all the vendors by 8:30 and was basicly held hostage until 12:00. when I asked to have a few bikes moved so I could leave I was told NO. I will not do it again.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
KIRKmfg said:
I do not like the fact that they park you in. I got there around 7:30 walked around and saw all the vendors by 8:30 and was basicly held hostage until 12:00. when I asked to have a few bikes moved so I could leave I was told NO. I will not do it again.
Rich, in that regard I have to defend the people that actually do the work at the Midnight Tour. While I was a member I ran staging as it is known many years and they have to park the bikes very tight as they never know how many bikes they are going to get. Once the bikes are parked it is EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to get a bike out of the middle of the pack. That is the reason for the River Road entrance, you have to make up your mind before you enter the grounds whether or not you wish to do the actual ride, if you choose not to do the ride then come in the River Road entrance, if you want to go on the ride then come in the main entrance off of Central.

You should consider yourself lucky, at least you were surrounded by people and things that you had in common, a couple of years ago we notified a small wedding party that they would need to move their cars or they would get block in in the back parking lot, most did except for this one woman who came out at 10 pm and demanded, in a hysterical fashion (she was a blonde), that we move the bikes so that she could get out! :roll: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
295 Posts
BRINGING A GROUP OF 8 MAYBE 10 BIKES ,GOING OUT TO DINNER AND THEN ON TO THE RIDE, SHOULD BE THERE ABOUT 9 OR 9;30 , BE WEARING A JADE DRAGON JACKET,RIDE SAFE AND SEE YOU THERE.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
top of page has some info. rbx

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DVS said:
Looks like Thunderstorms are in the forecast.. Looks like this maybe a game time decision
I agree. hopefully the weather holds up.

·
Registered
194 Posts
RBX, looks like we should be good rain isn't going to last more than 10 min they say and it should hit this afternoon.

Call my cell and let me know were you guys are meeting unless you wanna meet me up by the South Loop

1 - 20 of 21 Posts