Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had read some earlier posts of folks adding the quick disconnect to their fuel line in order to remove the gas tank without having to drain it first. I finally made this modification to my 2006 VTX 1800R. I found the dual shut off valve on ebay from an outfit called: Coyote-Gear-estore. Their description was: Made USA: 5/16" Hose Barb Fuel Line Quick Disconnect Dual Shut Off Viton

I have removed the gas tank several times before adding this valve, and it always made a bit of a mess. I had heard that fuel can come out of both ends of the hose when disconnected. I always only had it come from the tank, until the last time I did it. Don't know what was different, but this time fuel poured out from both the tank and the fuel pump. That was the last straw for me, so I decided to install this modification. I know I will like this much better.

It went on pretty easilly and took me less than an hour. The only change I needed to make was to get 2 slightly smaller clamps (10 x 14mm) than came on the VTX gas line connection. The 5/16" hose barb on this valve is slightly smaller than the VTX tank spout. I cut a short section out of the fuel line out, to make it fit better and I also routed the fuel line coming from the fuel pump outside the frame so that it held the valve away from the hot motor. It laid right above the left side cover. See Pictures.
The seller indicated that this unit is made in USA and sold under the names: CDC, Motion Pro, and Colder. The one I got had the CDC marking. It only cost $11.00 with free shipping. I bought 2 sets, however, so that I can always keep one attached to a hose that I will use to drain all of the gas from the tank into a gas can. It turns out if you buy two, you get a discount. Mine shipped from Tucson, AZ and arrived in 4 or 5 days.

I hope this helps others with the same issue. I am very pleased with the way it turned out.
Fluid Gas Auto part Composite material Pipe
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive lighting
Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire

·
Super Moderator
64,346 Posts
What's the flow rating, or how many PSI can flow through that valve? If it can't flow enough fuel, you'll find out one day on the highway when you twist the grip at 70mph and the bike falls flat or the valve will break apart. After reading Motion Pro item description, it's for gravity feed lines only, not for EFI use

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Good point, Spike.
If this is on the pressure side, I also wonder how much one can trust those slip-on hose clamps. Not sure exactly at what pressure our fuel injection operates (I recall some 55psi range) and I myself would be very paranoid riding around with fuel lines with these slip-on hose clamps. At least they are not on the exhaust side (which could get ugly in a heartbeat).

·
Registered
10,441 Posts
Good point, Spike.
If this is on the pressure side, I also wonder how much one can trust those slip-on hose clamps. Not sure exactly at what pressure our fuel injection operates (I recall some 55psi range) and I myself would be very paranoid riding around with fuel lines with these slip-on hose clamps. At least they are not on the exhaust side (which could get ugly in a heartbeat).
Yes, mine is on the return fuel line, not the pressurized side. There are warnings about that. My 1800 C runs just great @ highway WOT.

Reactions: Maechyll
1 - 4 of 4 Posts