Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2005-honda-vtx-1300-retro_4 don.jpg

This is my first bike in almost 40 years, having ridden Honda, Yamaha, Trumphy, BSA and Harley's in the distant past. It's great to feel the wind again. I picked this one up after much searching and looking (took my time over several months) and it finally came down to availability of service, dependability and price when I picked this VTX 1300. It has 4200 miles and has been serviced every thousand prior to my ownership. After riding this one for a couple of weeks I have only one complaint. It uses too DAMN much gas. And, I see on this forum that lots of VTX owners have this complaint. I only went 107 miles from fill-up to reserve this week. I'm a big guy (300 pounds) and it does have a windshield on it now but still disappointing. The price was right (below book) plus it already had a Mustang seat and saddle bags on it. I installed a Cobra Fat Freeway engine protection bar on it.

What do you other VTX 1300 guys have to say about this bike?

·
Registered
851 Posts
I have a 2007 1300C and get 42 to 50 miles to the gallon. I go a 170 miles before I stop for gas. That is not even thinking of using the reserve. Hope you enjoy your new ride. 2007 VTX 1300C

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
first off welcome to the board from way out in west TEXAS. i have an 06 1300c and after a bit of tweaking you should be able to get 40-50 mpg pretty easy. congrats on your new ride you got yourself a really nice bike

·
Registered
129 Posts
first off welcome to the board from way out in west TEXAS. i have an 06 1300c and after a bit of tweaking you should be able to get 40-50 mpg pretty easy. congrats on your new ride you got yourself a really nice bike
Welcome back! Same here with an 06 1300c getting close about 40 mpg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
View attachment 42597

This is my first bike in almost 40 years, having ridden Honda, Yamaha, Trumphy, BSA and Harley's in the distant past. It's great to feel the wind again. I picked this one up after much searching and looking (took my time over several months) and it finally came down to availability of service, dependability and price when I picked this VTX 1300. It has 4200 miles and has been serviced every thousand prior to my ownership. After riding this one for a couple of weeks I have only one complaint. It uses too DAMN much gas. And, I see on this forum that lots of VTX owners have this complaint. I only went 107 miles from fill-up to reserve this week. I'm a big guy (300 pounds) and it does have a windshield on it now but still disappointing. The price was right (below book) plus it already had a Mustang seat and saddle bags on it. I installed a Cobra Fat Freeway engine protection bar on it.

What do you other VTX 1300 guys have to say about this bike?
Welcome!
My bike is a 2008 1300c, I set my odometer for fill-up at 170 miles, only needed reserve a couple times.
You might need tune or valve adjustment.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome from Georgia! There is great knowledge on this board. Previous threads for your mileage issues may help if not then someone here will be able to point you in the right direction. Don't give up! You have just bought one of the best cruisers ever made... it's only second to an orange 1800.:mrgreen: Congrats!

·
Registered
343 Posts
If you're goin thru that much gas, ya might wanna check and make sure the choke isnt pulled out. You oughta be able to smell that gas or see it runnin out.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Welcome! I remember when my ride was that color. Kind of miss it, looks good!
I blame the ethanol for the lousy mileage. See if you can buy straight gas locally.

·
Registered
12,092 Posts
Welcome to the addiction! :mrgreen: You're getting crappy gas mileage, even for your size. You may have to dig in to the carb and figure out if the previous owner messed with it at all. I consistently hit reserve at 150-160 miles, even with all the stuff I've added to the bike. The 1300 comes lean from the factory to help with EPA regulations, so I'd venture to guess that either the carb has been messed with or it may be gunked up with that small amount of miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
welcome nice ride. you should be getting better. with a built engine and riding 2 up i still get 40 mpg. i would say carb needs cleaned or someone had there hands in it

·
Registered
96 Posts
I suggest using a couple of ounces of Seafoam for a few tanks of gas and just riding it......the mileage should be better than what you are getting..Welcome to the Honda world..

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Congrat's on the new bike.

You didn't really say what the mileage was. Perhaps the reserve light is early?
I know someone with an 1800C. His light comes on and he still has half a tank left.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I hit reserve typically between 140 and 155. It is very dependent on riding style. If I have been slabbing it, or goosing it a lot (having fun) then reserve comes sooner. Back roads, 45 mph, for a long haul will get me much farther on a gallon.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I hit reserve typically between 140 and 155. It is very dependent on riding style. If I have been slabbing it, or goosing it a lot (having fun) then reserve comes sooner. Back roads, 45 mph, for a long haul will get me much farther on a gallon.
I get the same as WhiteHat.

Also, every four or so tanks. We run some seafoam threw the tanks. Also, we run ONLY NON=ETHONAL FUEL !!!!

First two is my first suggestion !!!! They will be closer to you !!!!
In Vidalia, Jerry's Store sell only non-ethonal fuel
In Ferriday, Delta Fuel
In Natchez, Jack Mart (Dee's Oil ) on Lower Woodville Road
Zipy Foods Old Washington Rd.
Lula's One Stop, Fayette MS
Kurts Leland Grocery in Leland, LA (Hwy 8, 25 miles away)
Delta Fuel in St. Joeseph, LA
Coranville in Gloster, MS
Nicks One Stop in Port Gibson
Beth's in Newellton,LA
B-Quick in Centreville, MS
Ronnies's Trak , Winnsboro LA & Delta Fuel in Winnsboro, LA
Liberty BP, Liberty MS

................. two guns

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've seen lots of posts on what people are getting for mileage. Mine is an '03 VTX 1300s and I swear, I get between 48 and 52 miles a gallon. I just did a 4 day trip with my brothers to northern Maine and averaged about 50 - 52 mpg.....and actually calculated 56 mpg on one fill up only...and I still don't know that I believe it. I can regularly fill up at 170 miles and not ever hit reserve. I aint lying! I have RoadHouse Slipons and have never done any kind of carb work...that's all stock. Anyone else getting 50 mpg on their 1300? I weigh about 170 for what it's worth.

·
Registered
131 Posts
VTX 65 mpg mod

six-scooters-01-0412-de.jpg
Here's how to mod your VTX to get 65+ miles per gallon.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I get the same as WhiteHat.

Also, every four or so tanks. We run some seafoam threw the tanks. Also, we run ONLY NON=ETHONAL FUEL !!!!
I think this is an excellent point. There are so many downfalls to ethanol. I won't get into all of them here, but the one relevant to this thread is that ethanol has 33% less energy than gasoline. That means you're getting less mileage from a tank regardless of how you ride.

There are several web sites listing where to find E0 gas. E0 = zero percent ethanol, sometimes called clear gas. My favorite is http://pure-gas.org/

·
Registered
12,247 Posts
It has 4200 miles and has been serviced every thousand prior to my ownership. After riding this one for a couple of weeks I have only one complaint. It uses too DAMN much gas. And, I see on this forum that lots of VTX owners have this complaint.
I don't think too many 1300 riders are complaining of fuel mileage..
Maybe 1800 riders.

Do you have 40 PSI in both tires..
Honda recommended pressure is too low.
Starter enrichment valve aka choke will close by itself if the friction nut under the rubber cap is loose.
If the friction nut is too tight YOU have to close the valve.
4200 miles = been sitting for long time, air bleeds in the emulsion tubes could be clogged.
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b84/mrvtx/VTX Maintenance/DSCN5072.jpg
Mr VTX has a a pictorial on his carb rebuild.:
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?216890-Carb-Cleaning-101

I run 10% ethanol gas and have no problems.
My worse mileage was slabbing it and that was at 125 miles--many years ago when new.
145 - 160 usually before reserve required.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I run 10% ethanol gas and have no problems.
Not being a rocket scientist I rely upon my google skills...
Due to ethanol's corrosive properties you should be aware of the following which I copied and pasted from: http://www.motorcycle-accessories-wiseguy.com/ethanol-motorcycle.html
There are a lot of sources out there with similar information and some of them go into more detail than I can try to understand with my rock and flint powered calculator. I still marvel at the genius of the wheel.
4 things you can do to reduce the damage of E10 ethanol

If your older motorcycle hasn't been rebuilt/restored in the last 10 to 15 years you should really think about: (A lot of VTXs, including mine, fall into this range.)

• Replacing all gaskets, seals and rubber fuel lines.
  • Replacing fuel filters and/or screens or at the very least clean them.
  • Pull the fuel tank, drain it and clean it out to remove dirt and sludge before the ethanol can loosen it up.
  • To combat corrosion you can use a gas tank sealer impervious to ethanol motorcycle fuel.
This should certainly be done before filling up and starting your motorcycle if it has been sitting for a long time whether it was prepared properly or not.

OR

you can simply not run ethanol...

Much better article:
Ethanol Blend Fuels and Their Use and Effect in Motorcycle Engines:
http://www.classiccarbsandmore.com/carbs/page13.html

Be sure to read the entire article as the author explains steps to take to safely use ethanolized fuel. (Yes, I made that word up.)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts