Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought vance and hines cruzers for my 07 vtx 1300c. is there anything special i need to do or do i just bolt them on?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Make sure you buy new gaskets, other than that, just follow the instructions

·
Registered
12,047 Posts
Removing the old gasket is interesting. Many people think it missing. It is there. It is a soft composite metal outside gasket that fits nicely in the exhaust port. A dental pick, paint can top remover, a screw screwed into it, a nail all have been used to move/distort/remove the old. Put some towels on the pipes to keep from scratching them. Another pair of hands advisable. Depending on how thick the flange plates are you may need a washer on each stud/nut to prevent bottoming out the acorn nut. Don't get crazy, don't over tighten, many have broken studs.

Install new gaskets, install all bolts before tightening. Leave the bolts on the rear bracket loose until the front engine nuts have been all tightened. Alternate tightening of nuts so the flange goes down even. I probably used some anti-sieze. Only ever lost one acorn nut. After a ride check/tighten again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Removing the old gasket is interesting. Many people think it missing. It is there. It is a soft composite metal outside gasket that fits nicely in the exhaust port. A dental pick, paint can top remover, a screw screwed into it, a nail all have been used to move/distort/remove the old. Put some towels on the pipes to keep from scratching them. Another pair of hands advisable. Depending on how thick the flange plates are you may need a washer on each stud/nut to prevent bottoming out the acorn nut. Don't get crazy, don't over tighten, many have broken studs.

Install new gaskets, install all bolts before tightening. Leave the bolts on the rear bracket loose until the front engine nuts have been all tightened. Alternate tightening of nuts so the flange goes down even. I probably used some anti-sieze. Only ever lost one acorn nut. After a ride check/tighten again.
This is excellent advice. I replaced OEM with V&H Big Shots and found everything he just wrote to very accurate and thorough.

·
Super Moderator
6,734 Posts
thanks alot, i didnt even think about new gaskets. and thanks for the little things to make it easier.
Use a torque wrench to tighten the acorn nuts. You may need an extra washer to make up for any difference in the thickness of the flange/collar of the header pipe, assuming the cruzers are not slipons. I'm assuming they're not since you're talking about header gaskets. And I would agree with the anti-seize.

Do not overtighten the nuts, you do not want to break off one of the studs!!! And don't forget to retorque them after riding for a few miles.

For BigShots it is helpful to have an extra set of hands, as they can be tricky to put on, and again, you don't want to break off one of the studs during installation. If the cruzers are a complete set of pipes you may have to be forceful (with finesse), in getting them to fit and that extra set of hands comes in handy to prevent turning them into a big prybar that snaps off a stud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts