Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man, very easy stuff to do, just take your time. The front shocks I switched to progressive and they were a piece of cake to get in. The front end already felt better on the quick test drive.

now on the the pair valve removal. I don't know if anyone already suggested this, but there's a way you can keep from having to plug any of the lines. I did have to plug the airbox, but that was super simple. I just got some rubber plugs from AutoZone and plugged them right up. Had to buy an assortment of them, but I got some that fit really tight and sealed great. Anyhow, so on to the lines. As you take the pair valve off, you have a long line that goes from the pair valve to a "T" going to the carb. The from one side of that "T" you have a line that's going to the carb and then another that's going to another "T". If you're still with me, cool! If not, sorry, just PM me and I'll talk to you about it...anyhow, so when you take the line off that goes from the Pair valve to the "T", just take the whole line off completely and set it aside. Now, the "T" where it was connected to, just take that completely off as well (just remove the "T" not any lines). Okay, so now you have a line running from the carb to nothing right now and then you have the other line hanging there going towards the left side of the bike. Okay, grab that short little hose going towards the left side of the bike and take it off. Note-it is connected to yet another"T". Leave that "T" there and just take the hose off completely. Okay, now go back to the carb and take off that hose that's going nowhere right now. Sweet, now go back and grab that longer hose you had from the pair valve and connect that to the carb and on the other end of it, connect that to the "T" that has one open teet! Now, you're all done and you didn't have to plug an extra line or worry about condensation. The hose coming from the pair valve is long enough to make up for the stuff you took off and no plugging anything else. So, someone may have already posted this and if I was smart enough I would have taken pics, but I hope this helps someone. I'm very appreciative of the help on this ste and I'm just trying to give back. If for some reason you aren't understanding what I'm saying, then hopefully someone else will chime in and help out. I can be confusing when I type sometimes, so forgive if this is the case! Good luck to those of you who are about to do the pair valve removal. It's really easy, just take your time and follow the directions on this site and you will be fine.
http://tech.vtxoa.com/index.php?action= ... artlang=en
If there are any questions, just PM me and I'll give you a number, just call me and I can walk you through it or just explain it to you over the phone.

Curtis

PS-, I forgot to mention, I used the block off plates from hondalinedirect and I think they are the GP (brand) plates or something like that. They are made by someone on this forum if I remember right. They look nice enough and are a good fix. I didn't want to plug the old lines or anything like that, so I just went with the block off plates. I think this is the link..
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/store ... D=47782127

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
well when your exh starts to gurgling then you can go back and finish the job

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should I remove the air valve as well? Is that what you are implying Charlie? If not, please tell me, I'm here to learn and to help when I can, not just get smart @ss answers that don't seem to help anyone. But, hey if they make you feel good about yourself, cool, I'll look like a fool! :p :lol:

·
Registered
653 Posts
Charlie D said:
Why would his exhaust start gurgling if he used the block off plates?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
bamaVTXcop said:
Charlie D said:
Why would his exhaust start gurgling if he used the block off plates?
I read he used rubber plugs, maybe he did remove the reeds if not then he will have the gurgling.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey Charlie,

yeah, sometimes I get a little sensitive cause I read more non answers than I do answers on this site at times.....anyhow, yeah, I used the metal block-off plates and I did remove the reeds. I drilled out the screws and then took the reeds out and put back in the holder. Looks like everything is good so far.

Curtis

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
sounds like you did a good job then.

I did the half ass thing at first then had to go back and do it right

·
Registered
151 Posts
i removed the reeds completely. and used an old computer case to make the block off plates, and used gasket paper to make gaskets, and they are working great ;)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was thinking they might need gaskets. They should be ok for now, but actually when I get back in the bike to do the scar mod (will be getting new pipes and then maybe new airbox) then I may see how the block off plates look and may make some gaskets for them. Good idea though, never hurts to be safe than sorry.

Curtis

·
Registered
885 Posts
pair valve

Correct me if i'm wrong, but when I changed to the brushed aluminum(sweet) plates, I pushed with a fingernail on the raised rib of the reed holder(to see if it was like an o ring seal) and unless I'm mistaken it was a seal ring, when tightening up the 2 screws on the blockoffs, they compressed these raised ribs to form a seal. Someone will verify or correct me if this is incorrect. I personally wouldn't use paper for a gasket in this location. (HEAT)IMHO
Someone please verify, as I may need to relook at mine if I'm wrong, I was pretty tired when I removed my crap valve.
MoeX

·
Registered
15,774 Posts
The reed holder has a gasket so there is no need to add another.
You do either have to drill out the screw holding the reed to allow the block off plate to sit flush (or you can drill a recess in the block off plate to allow for the screw).

Either way, you don't need a gasket if you used the reed holder.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Re: pair valve

markamoore said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but when I changed to the brushed aluminum(sweet) plates, I pushed with a fingernail on the raised rib of the reed holder(to see if it was like an o ring seal) and unless I'm mistaken it was a seal ring, when tightening up the 2 screws on the blockoffs, they compressed these raised ribs to form a seal. Someone will verify or correct me if this is incorrect. I personally wouldn't use paper for a gasket in this location. (HEAT)IMHO
Someone please verify, as I may need to relook at mine if I'm wrong, I was pretty tired when I removed my crap valve.
MoeX

Is paper to make gaskets for cars, (intake manifold, carburetor and other) I think it will work fine in a pair valve.

·
Registered
885 Posts
pair valve

I stand corrected on gasket material, but as I mentioned, I don't think a gasket is in order if you use the reed valve holder with the reed and reed retainer removed. Obviously, carbon (from exhaust) is present on the inside of the reed valve asssembly. I just said, I personally would not use this material at this location as a precaution that some exhaust would eventually escape and create who knows what kind of sound. Not good I assure you. Buy the way, when I removed my pair valve, there was what seemed to be a coffee cup of water entrapped in the larger hoses, which was making the open valve sucking piston noise. Just my HO.
Took out that little hesitation at the first roll of the throttle.
MoeX

·
Registered
328 Posts
2007VTX said:
Hey Charlie,

yeah, sometimes I get a little sensitive cause I read more non answers than I do answers on this site at times.....anyhow, yeah, I used the metal block-off plates and I did remove the reeds. I drilled out the screws and then took the reeds out and put back in the holder. Looks like everything is good so far.

Curtis
easer then drilling the screws........just use a small grinder OR a big grinder :? to the back of the screws, and then unscrew the small screw ..........a lot easer and (safer) than slipping and drilling your hand

·
Registered
885 Posts
pair valve

Talked to a fellow last night that said he just took a pair of pliers and broke the reed holders off.
Now thats what I call Gorilla mechanics!
I guess whatever works fastest, works best when your doing it for $$.
Hope he never takes up brain surgery! Ouch!!!
MoeX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.