Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is old news for many of you, but what the hey......

I added the stock ''C'' risers to my Retro and a set of Jett Ink Lowers.

The risers really add comfort and a more relaxed riding position. This was a great low cost helper. I'm 5', 9'' , this may not be good for you longer guys, but good for medium to shorter guys. it's nice.

The lowers helped more than what I anticipated. There is MUCH LESS wind blowing my head back and forth. if you only ride short distances it's not a big deal, although I do notice an improvement around town.
If you're out on the highway for hours at a time, it's the best money you'll spend after you buy a windshield.

Just a few thoughts for my X riding brothers........................

·
Registered
434 Posts
I just installed the Ultimate Big Boy 4-pc seat to my 1800 R and have decided that I need the C risers. If memory serves me correctly the C risers will move the handle bars back about an inch? Were they hard to install?

A question on the Jett Lower Deflectors. Do you know if they'll fit the Honda Retro light bar (part #HO-6983506)?

Thanks,

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
RBrown, the C risers are easy to install, it's nice to have a second set of hands to hold the bars. Cover your tank with a few towels to protect it.

I think you get more that an inch pull back because you can tip the bars back further without hitting the tank.

The Jett Ink deflecters WILL work with the Retro light bar, that's what I've got.

Ride safe, Glenn

·
Registered
434 Posts
Glenn,

Thanks for the tips. I think both recommendations will help a lot. How do you remove the bolt caps on the risers? Do they just slide out? I just got the manual and it says the bottom bolts should be torqued to 47 lbs and 20 lbs. for the upper bolts. So there is upper bolt holders and lower bolt holders that have to be removed or just the upper to install the C risers?

Thanks,

Richard

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Richard,
there are little chromed plastic caps on the four allen bolts that hold your bars to the stock riser. Use a tiny screwdriver to pop them off.

remove the four allen bolts and have someone hang onto the bars while you do this. COVER your tank with a towel!!!Then remove the two big nuts that hold the risers. Remove stock riser.

put the new risers in place and snug them up, but don't tighten yet. I had to remove the front brake line from the holder under the triple clamp
( right side) to get enough room to pull the bars high enough to get them on the C risers.
Put the Retro bar clamp on and tighten the four allen bolts,cross torque them so you get even tension on the clamp bolts, this will also center the risers, now you can tighten the two big nut on the risers.

DOUBLE CHECK EVERTHING before riding.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I agree, the risres and the lowers make a big difference. I also added the Chilowee engine gaurd chaps and it's even less wind and rain.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Thanks, Glenn. Your instructions are much easier to understand than the manual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts