Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished up installing the HID Motorcycle kit for my bike. I went with the 8000K temp HID H4 Bulb, and love it !

Total time it took was about a hour and 20 min to install.

The difference is incredible. The light is extremely bright ,
but the " Cutoff " on the VTX headlight canister is perfect, because it dosn;t blind the on-coming cars. I drove around tonight for 2 hours checking out my new HID light, and not one car gave me their high-beams

I have to say, I was very surprised for a single light, how much light the canister produced.

I've had HID lights in my past bikes, VTX, Gold-wing, my current cars, which are a Honda CR-V, and Honda accord, and now that I just bought my VTX a month ago, I couldn't wait to get the HID headlight installed once again, and I love it!

I also wrote a article here on the forms on how I installed it :

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2117933#post2117933

Enjoy, and if your thinking about getting one, just do it, its a great safety feature to be able to see something coming down the road, and have time to get outta the way !

Here's a pic on the road, and also on my garage door, and notice how tight of a beam the HID light throws, the light isn't all over, its perfect !

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
That road shot looks amazing !! :bowdown:

Nice job :firstplace: :congrats:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Looks really good! Pricey little bugger though.
For safety sake it was worth it.Man it lights up some road!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
A strong headlight makes a difference for sure. I thought. Until I installed the Big Bikes lightbar I bought here and replaced the bulbs that burned out in 5 minutes with Sylvania Silverstars. With those on the road is totally illuminated and I can't even tell my headlight is on even switching to brights and back is barely noticeable. When we ride at night the guys have me lead the way because there is so much light. Truly worth it getting the lightbar to me.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Wow :shock: That new headlight is awsome! That night time shot on the road says it all.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars, as mentioned earlier, burn out quickly and they are not that great of a light compared to the HID. I paid 90.00 for the HID and the Sylvania Silverstars are about 40-45.00 but the HID is far better and use 1/3 the wattage for 2x light. I love my HID. I was not able to ride at night because of night blindness (or what ever it might be called) but now I ride at night just because I can. Just like being in my 20's again.

Once you make the switch you will never go back!:thumbup:

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
Sylvania Silverstars, as mentioned earlier, burn out quickly and they are not that great of a light compared to the HID. I paid 90.00 for the HID and the Sylvania Silverstars are about 40-45.00 but the HID is far better and use 1/3 the wattage for 2x light. I love my HID. I was not able to ride at night because of night blindness (or what ever it might be called) but now I ride at night just because I can. Just like being in my 20's again.

Once you make the switch you will never go back!:thumbup:

Cheers,
I paid $20 at AutoBarn.com for one and it's lasted two years. For $40, you usually get two. So if you paid $40 and got 4 years out of it, it would, for many riders, last the ownership of their bikes. Wattage for most of us is not an issue; the VTX has plenty of available wattage.

I'm not saying I don't like the HID, I just don't agree with most of your logic price-wise for buying the unit. :dontknow:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I just finished up installing the HID Motorcycle kit for my bike. I went with the 8000K temp HID H4 Bulb, and love it !

Total time it took was about a hour and 20 min to install.

The difference is incredible. The light is extremely bright ,
but the " Cutoff " on the VTX headlight canister is perfect, because it dosn;t blind the on-coming cars. I drove around tonight for 2 hours checking out my new HID light, and not one car gave me their high-beams

I have to say, I was very surprised for a single light, how much light the canister produced.

I've had HID lights in my past bikes, VTX, Gold-wing, my current cars, which are a Honda CR-V, and Honda accord, and now that I just bought my VTX a month ago, I couldn't wait to get the HID headlight installed once again, and I love it!

I also wrote a article here on the forms on how I installed it :

http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2117933#post2117933

Enjoy, and if your thinking about getting one, just do it, its a great safety feature to be able to see something coming down the road, and have time to get outta the way !

Here's a pic on the road, and also on my garage door, and notice how tight of a beam the HID light throws, the light isn't all over, its perfect !

Look at the disclaimer on the box for that light - "not DOT approved" - What's up with that? I too feel the need for more light but is that the correct one? What's the worst that can happen? Does it not have DOT approval because it doesn't meet some NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) rating? Will it just blow on a bump in a country road just before Bambi jumps out? Or is it just too bright for use with oncoming traffic? I would really like to know what gives.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, if HID's did not originally come from the factory in the vehicle, be it a car, bike, whatever, then all aftermarket HID's are not DOT approved.

Things may have changed, but that's the last I heard a while back.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Somone had asked the same question on another thread, here was my responce if HID lights are DOT approved:

Here In Florida, we don't have vehicle inspections like NY, NJ, and so on , where every year you have to have your vehicle inspected.

I can tell you, from what i read in the past, What we are doing to our bikes, cars, SUV's etc, is called a " Retrofit " and is not legal from what I heard.

Car manufactures that make specific housings designed for HID lamps, are legal, such as BMW, Audi etc.

The difference is those housings are " Projector " Style housings, as they shine the light In a specific area, and don't blind on coming traffic.

The housings that we are " retrofitting " are mostly " Reflector " style housings, where the light reflects off the back of the housing, then shines on the road.

The problem with retrofitting is sometimes the light shines all over, into the tress, oncoming cars, its not directed into a tight spot light, like the Projector style HID lights designed for HID's.

So to answerer your questions, I'm not sure if it would be legal where you live, or anywhere in US.

I would say to answerer your question, drive around at night, and see if their are allot of people driving around with HID lights installed , that aren't BMW's, and Audi, Lexus, and so on, that are retrofits, and if your comfortable with that, then install them, if not, then don't.

I'll give you an example, I just sold a 2005 Gold-wing , and put HID's on that as well, as well as LED lights. In my state , blue LED's are illegal, if you can see them from the front of the bike, Here's a picture of my bike lite up at night, and I drove around all the time with them on, and never got pulled over :

I think if I was out breaking the law by driving recklessly, or speeding, etc, the Leos would pull me over. But a bike driving down the road, not driving recklessly, all lite up for show, I would find it hard to believe they would actually stop me and give me a ticket.

I did receive a " Warning " at Oktoberfest in Daytona, but there they were pulling everyone over.

So I think you should do what you feel comfortable with.

FYI, I have V&H Big Shots exhaust on my bike, they are now measuring
noise DB's here in Florida in certain areas, so who knows what will be next.

FYI, I also have HID lights in my 2005 Honda CR-V, ( 10000K ) and just put them in my wifes 2005 Honda Accord for Christmas. She couldn't see driving down the road at night, and always drove my CR-V at night because I had the HID's in it, so I got a set of ( 6000K ) for Christmas, and she loves them

PS, I've had them in my last 4 bikes, and never got stopped, maybe it's just lucky , or maybe the Leo's just don;t waste their time writing a small ticket like that, don't know, but all auto manufactures should start installing them, they are wonderful.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also Ken C , to answer your question on the lights blinding other on-coming traffic, some HID kits do, and some cars and bikes have different style reflectors, that are terrible for a retrofit for a HID

Fortunately , I have allot of friends who have them in their bikes, and I had them in my last 3 bikes, including the Gold-wing above.

The Honda headlamp, and the quality of the HID kit, work extremely good together on both the Gold-wing , and the VTX.

The VTX and the HID lamp, have a very good " Cutoff : point, extremely well defined, meaning the light doesn't shine in the trees, other cars , etc.

As you can see by the pic on my garage door, how tight the circle of the light pattern is, the HID lamp is throwing out. Some cheaper kits I seen look really bad, and throw the light everywhere. This kit that I had bought, is probably the 4th kit I bought from the same place, because I love their quality of their HID kits.

To answer your point, I had HID lights on my last sport bike, VTX, then on the Gold-wing, and now back on my VTX which I just purchased a month ago. I never have anyone coming from oncoming traffic flashing my their high beams, which means I'm not blinding on coming traffic, which is a " GOOD THING " , especially being on a bike.

Hope this answers your questions

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I'm not mistaken, if HID's did not originally come from the factory in the vehicle, be it a car, bike, whatever, then all aftermarket HID's are not DOT approved.

Things may have changed, but that's the last I heard a while back.

Thats correct

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
Yup, the Silverstars lasted me almost two years so yes, they do burn out faster than normal. of course, the ones that came on my lightbar burned out the first day so there is that as well.

In the end though, I still feel the lightbar puts out far more light than one HID headlamp would. Anything is an improvement over the yellow, halogen stocker set-up. I put a Silverstar in that as well and that has lasted almost three years so far. That one is on all the time while I only really run the lightbar at night.

I believe I may get the HID kit someday just because. But, I want a 1300 final first for better performance and fuel mileage. Limited cash ya know...

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yup, the Silver-stars lasted me almost two years so yes, they do burn out faster than normal. of course, the ones that came on my light-bar burned out the first day so there is that as well.

In the end though, I still feel the light-bar puts out far more light than one HID headlamp would. Anything is an improvement over the yellow, halogen stocker set-up. I put a Silver-star in that as well and that has lasted almost three years so far. That one is on all the time while I only really run the light-bar at night.

I believe I may get the HID kit someday just because. But, I want a 1300 final first for better performance and fuel mileage. Limited cash ya know...

The problem with light-bars, is they are still a " Halogen " light. That being said, yes, its a big improvement over the stock single light, but still does not give you the distance out further enough to see something in the road.

With a light-bar, and headlight, by the time you see something, its to late, and you ran it over.

With the HID light, it's lights up the road 2-3x further down the road, giving you more time to get out of the way.

My last VTX I had a light-bar, and this time I went HID, and 85/55 watt Piaa's for the light-bar. Between all that, I should have ample time running down the highway @ 75mph at night, to get outta the way if needed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice kit :thumbup: , I installed the PIAA anti-vibration H4 60/55w=110/100w extreme white bulb in my 1300S this past July & its better then stock but I still want a HID headlight , I want the road to be lit up , does the hi-lo switch still work using this kit ?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Nice kit :thumbup: , I installed the PIAA anti-vibration H4 60/55w=110/100w extreme white bulb in my 1300S this past July & its better then stock but I still want a HID headlight , I want the road to be lit up , does the hi-lo switch still work using this kit ?

10/4, both high/low are HID

The high beams HID are not as bright, it throws the light all over

I had the same Piaa in my last X, I know exactley what you mean, alot better then stock, but nothing beats an HID :agree:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts