Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the first 3000 miles I had my 1800 Retro I got about 41 MPG. Then I added a "MASK" and K&N air filter and at the same time I did the exhaust mod. Neither helped or hurt the power that I could tell. It did sound better and I also lost 3 MPG (38 mpg). At just over 6000 miles I added V&H and a PCIII ( see PCIII for sale under sale board ). The guy that does the tuning had a kidney transplant and a temporary map was installed until tuner returned to work. Frankly, the map was horrible and my milage plummented to 32 MPG. Bike ran bad but had very good WOT power. I did not want to wait for the tuners recovery, so I removed the PCIII and thought I'd wait for his return to reconnect it. I also did Bare's desmog (removed everthing and used Pete's plates) at the same time. Now. I don't know exactly what did what but there was a dramatic power increase. I mean, no if's and's or but's. Again, it's dramatic! So I played a good bit with my new found power and when I gassed up I had gotten over 41 MPG. I checked the numbers twice. I couldn't believe it but it was true. Then I took a nice 92.01 mile ride thru a half dozen small towns (lots of stop and go) and out in to the country. I was very conservative on the throttle, no WOT, gingerly on the throttle. When I gassed up this time, I used 2.094 gallons (filled it to the very top). 43.94 MPG. I could keep the PCIII and have it tuned but how much better could it get if at all. Hence I have a PCIII for sale. Any body have a similar experience?

Gary

·
Super Moderator
63,885 Posts
Yep, if you don't have a custom map and get a custom map done for you(by a good tech) you would never believe the difference. Night&Day difference in the way the bike runs after letting a good tuner on a dyno have your bike for a while. 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chicago-Spike said:
Yep, if you don't have a custom map and get a custom map done for you(by a good tech) you would never believe the difference. Night&Day difference in the way the bike runs after letting a good tuner on a dyno have your bike for a while. 8)
Yes Spike, a custom map done right means everything. My "C" has one and it runs great. But my R runs so good right now (Ido need to check the plugs though) I don't want to "fix" it.

Gary

·
Super Moderator
63,885 Posts
I wasn't suggesting to put it back on, just saying that a good map would be better than a downloaded map. I always say, try it without a manager first for a few weeks. 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Chicago-Spike said:
I wasn't suggesting to put it back on, just saying that a good map would be better than a downloaded map. I always say, try it without a manager first for a few weeks. 8)
I know you weren't. And I knew to "try before you buy". Guess I am just an impulsive buyer.
Gary

·
Registered
201 Posts
milage

i would be a little worried with over 40 mph. the bike may be runing very lean and that could cause some very expensive problems. i do suggest you have the air/fuel ratio checked as soon as possoble.

bob

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: milage

humeston said:
i would be a little worried with over 40 mph. the bike may be runing very lean and that could cause some very expensive problems. i do suggest you have the air/fuel ratio checked as soon as possoble.

bob[/quote

]Thanks for the good advice, it's already in the works.
Gary

·
Registered
214 Posts
Re: milage

humeston said:
i would be a little worried with over 40 mph. the bike may be runing very lean and that could cause some very expensive problems.
I got up to 50mpg on the highway from mine when it was stock. Around town I can still easily get 40+.

Even when I flog the throttle for the entire tank, it gets around 35.

And judging by my plugs, lean is definitely not a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts