Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just returned from a 2128 mile round trip that lasted 1 week. I left Grants NM alone last Friday about 4 am heading for Corpus Christi Tx. The first day I made it to Sonora Tx, about 720 miles and ran into a bad rain storm right before dark so spent the night there. Saturday morning, I left Sonora about 6am and got to my destination In Corpus about 11am. After visiting with my son, friends and other family for a few days, and helping my son get a new Kawasaki KLR 650, the wife, who had flown down a week earlier, and I headed out together for home about noon Wednesday. There was scattered rain storms all around us but we managed to dodge all of them. Then at Ozona Tx, bad weather and high winds shut us down for the night. We headed out the next morning, Thursday, about 7:30 am and made it to Just south of Abluquerque and hit another really bad storm with high winds. We were less than 2 hours from home but being it was late in the evening and almost dark, we spent the night, then came home this morning. The weather aside it was a GREAT ride both ways. I din't have one single tiny issue with the VTX, it made the trip without so much as a yawn.

A coupe of observations I can make now. Riding solo, I need to give my ass a 5 minute break about every 75 miles so I usually just turn that into a short gas stop and I usually need water or gatorade anyway. Riding 2-up, with a load on the back and the saddle bags full, we like to stop about every 60 miles just for a couple of minutes, and try to turn those into gas stops as well. The west Texas heat, temps this time as high as 112 degrees, tend to make those stops a little more frequent and last a little longer,

I also put a new Crampbuster throttle assist on for the trip. I also have a Vista Cruise throttle lock and I found that I used the Crampbuster about 99% of the time and only used the Vista Cruise about twice the entire trip. The Crampbuster works well, but I found toward the end of the trip that it was starting to slip a little and needed to be adjusted every couple of stops.

I checked my mpg every time I filled up and saw mileage anywhere from 42 mpg close to home, to as low as 27 mpg while travelling at high speeds across Interstate 10 between El Paso and San Antonio. It's pretty easy to see the speedometer sitting between 90 and 100 for long stretches of highway while following other vehicles at a long safe distance doing the same thing, and the posted speed limit on the stretch of Interstate is 80 mph. Saw very few other motorcycles anywhere along the way except in Bandera Tx - they were everywhere.

I made this exact same trip in 2013, alone both ways, before I had MCC mod my seat. Riding comfort isn't perfect yet but it is greatly improved over the last trip, and It's good to be home.

·
Registered
6,003 Posts
Try this for the Crampbuster: With it off, wrap some tape, any kind, several loops around the end of the grip. Then put the rubber band back on. It will be stretched just a little bit more, and grip the plastic just a little bit more. Or double up on the wide rubber band if you can get another one. I find this works a little better for me and my Showchrome style grips.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Thanks for sharing the trip with us. I use a crampbuster also and it slips to but it does help. I am going to try the tape trick and see if that helps.:smile2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts