Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the Long Way Round DVDs of Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman riding London to NY via Kazakstan, Mongolia, Russia etc. WOW :thumbup:. Of course it did seem like their clothes (beneath the protective stuff) mostly looked clean so I'm guessing the support team weren't always too many days away ;)!

Talk about getting revv'd up to do some touring on my X. Now if it would just stop snowing up here..... Hmmm - looks like I'll have to get the next DVD "Long Way Down" :popcorn: (there's a line if you ever saw one....) to keep the thought alive until April (spring).

·
Registered
38 Posts
Us too!! We just watch Long Way Round over the holidays and are on the 3rd disc of LGD...the hubby is drooling for a Ulysses or Beemer to fill a spot in the stable now. He's reading the LWR book also....it gives more details of the behind the scenes (of course) like Charley's temper tantrums. They do make you itch for a long ride!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
My children and I watched the Long way Down DVDs
over the holidays, we really enjoyed them

Not only did my children gain a whole lot of knowledge
about geography ,they also learned a new word :oops:

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I watched them both over the summer, before I got injured.

Oddest thing, seems they only got hit by another vehicle when they got to the US...

I think I could pull it off as well with enough money and a support crew riding in the next best thing to an armored vehicle! No matter, it would be fun to try.

For now, I'll just have to look towards IB rides... :D

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not only did my children gain a whole lot of knowledge
about geography ,they also learned a new word :oops:
Yup - I'm an Aussie living in the US (9 years now) and I mustn't be used to the regular use of F-bombs any longer (relatively common back home), as I kind of noticed the frequency of them, particularly as my 15 year old watched it ;) !! But it also seemed to make it more real, and the camera guy, who did it all with them, stated that he could film and use anything at any time.

Hey Free - the book looks terrific, and I'll definitely read it. I also today looked at all the extras in the DVD set, and it became clear that yes the teams were often far apart, and to quote the producer "the final result looks almost too easy because they're always smiling". Thanks for the book suggestion! :firstplace:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Great DVDs. I got the long way round (LWR) a few years back I watched it over Christmas with the wife, kids and father. Really is amazing stuff. KTM must have been really regretting their decision not to back them. BMW on the other hand must be laughing all the way to the bank. I wonder how much their sales increased because of LWR?

I also go the DVD set of the Long Way Down. Really is amazing, but I do like LWR better. Charles Booreman also released Race to Dakar which is amazing. Sort of a hyperactive LWR and compressed. It really is a race and it's amazing how many people get injured and how many just don't finish the race. The year Charlie Booreman did it was the year an Australian Rider was killed. The guy was very well known down in the motor cycling world down here.

Must admit, the two guys do love their bikes. :thumbup:

·
3,915 Posts
I read the book last year. Then my wife and kids got me the DVDs. I haven't watched them yet because I'm afraid they won't be as good as the Book. That ofetn happens.
But, as a result of this thread I resolve to watch them by the end the month... might help the winter riding blues!!

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Oddest thing, seems they only got hit by another vehicle when they got to the US...
:D
Those 2 accidents happened in Calgary.........
....during Stampede:beer2:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Just watched it this weekend. Then I got out the atlas and dreamed of summer rides to come.:thumbup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts