Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, while getting my 1300S ready for a ride, I cleaned the K&N air filter for the first time. The problem I have is that in the instructions to oil the filter, it asks you to look for "white spots" that have not been oiled after the initial drying and apply oil to those spots. See, I'm color blind, lol. Therefore, its difficult to tell the difference between the oiled and unoiled gaps. How important is it that the whole filter area is covered or will it be okay if most of it is oiled?

·
Sith Lord
4,919 Posts
Got a friend you could ask to look at it?

I made sure there weren't any unoiled areas on mine when I did it. I don't know if a few small spot would be an issue but if you're color blind and miss a pleat or two it might let something by..dunno.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Don't over-oil it, the spray oil will eventually wick into all areas of the filter element.

Kindest regards,

-Will

·
Registered
38,630 Posts
After following the cleaning directions, the first time, I sprayed oil on the filter, let it dry,went back and touched up the white spots,let it dry, installed it. The next time I rode the scoot,every thing was fine for several miles, then the bike began to balk and run cr^**y. I pulled off the airbox cover and found red oil in the airbox and oil breather. Now I give the filter 2 quick sprays around the outside of the filter, wipe off the xcess, install it and ride. When I get home I check it and it's allways OK.

RB

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the great tips guys. Guess I'd rather clean it over again and start from scratch with a buddy helping with the damn color, lol, than mess up the bike.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.