Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Pro Series Hypercharger (Kuryakyn) on an '02 VTX 1800C. I am looking for a new air filter and can't read the old one for brand.
I would prefer a K&N number but any brand will do for a cross reference. I've gotten 2 numbers; the first is A05486 off the old filter and Kury gave me a part number (phone message) of 9493. Niether of these ring a bell at K&N's website. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
You clean and oil the K&N filter. They are good for 1,000,000(yes million) miles. Get to your auto parts store and get a K&N Filter Charger kit. That has the cleaner and oil

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have a brand new replacement filter for a Pro series intake if you need one. I paid around fifty bucks plus the shipping. If you need it, you can have it for forty $ shipped to the lower 48. I can get you the actual part number later tonight, but I ordered it for a pro series intake because the one I bought came to my house without the filter in the package. In the time required to get the company I bought it from to locate and ship me the filter, I ordered a new one from another place since we weren't sure that the original was going to be located. In the end, it was and now I have an extra...

·
Registered
984 Posts
gwold said:
I have a Pro Series Hypercharger (Kuryakyn) on an '02 VTX 1800C. I am looking for a new air filter and can't read the old one for brand.
I would prefer a K&N number but any brand will do for a cross reference. I've gotten 2 numbers; the first is A05486 off the old filter and Kury gave me a part number (phone message) of 9493. Niether of these ring a bell at K&N's website. Thanks for the help.

As Spike states, the filter is reusable. Do not use compressed air to clean the filter or you will ruin it. Use only K&N cleaner solvent and running water to rinse it clean. (I use luke warm tap water) Be sure to rinse from the inside the filter towards the outside. Then let it dry and re-oil it as the instructions state in the K&N charger kit.

The number on the old filter is A054B6 not A05486. The number A054C6 should be shown on the other side of the filter but might not be readable due to the housing sealing surface pressure against it. I believe these numbers are no longer acknowledged on the K&N website. If you feel you do need a new air filter, the replacement number is E-3506.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... rod=E-3506

Be extremely careful when reinstalling the filter as it is difficult to get it properly seated in place. I use a few dabs of Permatex tacky gasket maker on the filter seal surface to hold it in place while re-assembling. I've tried silicone gasket maker but it takes too long to set up enough to hold.

Hope this helps.
Jack

·
Registered
552 Posts
Apache said:
gwold said:

As Spike states, the filter is reusable. Do not use compressed air to clean the filter or you will ruin it. Use only K&N cleaner solvent and running water to rinse it clean. (I use luke warm tap water) Be sure to rinse from the inside the filter towards the outside. Then let it dry and re-oil it as the instructions state in the K&N charger kit.

The number on the old filter is A054B6 not A05486. The number A054C6 should be shown on the other side of the filter but might not be readable due to the housing sealing surface pressure against it. I believe these numbers are no longer acknowledged on the K&N website. If you feel you do need a new air filter, the replacement number is E-3506.

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... rod=E-3506

Be extremely careful when reinstalling the filter as it is difficult to get it properly seated in place. I use a few dabs of Permatex tacky gasket maker on the filter seal surface to hold it in place while re-assembling. I've tried silicone gasket maker but it takes too long to set up enough to hold.

Hope this helps.
Jack
On the website it states that this filter fits into the stock air box. So my question is that, do this filter work for the pro series hypercharger or is there a specific filter for the hypercharger that is different from the stock airbox?

·
Registered
984 Posts
[/quote] On the website it states that this filter fits into the stock air box. So my question is that, do this filter work for the pro series hypercharger or is there a specific filter for the hypercharger that is different from the stock airbox?[/quote]

The number I provided, E-3506 is from directly from K&N and fits the pro series hypercharge.I gave them the information on my K&N filter and they gave me the current number.

Jack

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought a new one because the dealer put the wrong one on it when I bought the bike and didn't realize until I pulled it to recharge

·
Registered
131 Posts
The filter came with the Hypercharger, dealer would have to be moron to put a different filtyer in it
Once had a Jiffy-Lube change the K&N on my wife's car. I went back to have a discussion with the manager. Not only refunded, but got the filter back. I was sure to let everyone I know not to patronize that location.

·
Super Moderator
64,333 Posts
Once had a Jiffy-Lube change the K&N on my wife's car. I went back to have a discussion with the manager. Not only refunded, but got the filter back. I was sure to let everyone I know not to patronize that location.
Yes, because you still had the OEM box on your car. No dealer will have a filter that fits the Hyprcharger sitting around, unless they had another K&N

·
Registered
131 Posts
No. Because they were either incompetent (replacing a K&N filter that just needed cleaning) or they are dishonest (trying to pawn off a paper filter when I didn't need one.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts