Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a Hunter Ed. Instructor for about twenty years and recently signed up and paid for a concealed carry course at the Bullet Stop in Wichita. I've hunted with handguns and have always supported the right for law abiding citizens to purcahse, carry and use handguns. I finally got motivated to take the course and after a quick call, my sister and bro-in-law living in Salina will be taking the training with me,

A buddy of mine just finished his CC course and according to his instructor, the Newton Police Chief, only about 15,000 Kansans have actully bothered to get the CC permit. I was just wondering if any of ya'll have the permit or will be taking the course.

I'll be happy to share my views of what actually goes on in the classroom and firing range when I complete the training on Jan. 3.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I have mine and carry 100% of the time. I have a lockable metal container in my car for when I must either go into my kids school or my wife's place of work which is in a building with a Federal Office in it so the entire building is off limits.

It was difficult finding a confortable carry holster while on the bike. I normally carry IWB, but this was not comfortable while riding. I finally went with a custom leather shoulder holster for my full size Colt 45 1991 that is not seen while my riding vest is on. I can also put my Taurus PT145 in my vest inside pocket or leather coat's zipper pocket if needed.

The class is easy. 8 hours of book work. Mostly about the law and how it affects where you can carry, where you can not carry, your rights and when you can legally draw and shoot. Believe it or not, you can be attacked, draw your weapon, and then be prosecuted if you shoot, if the person backs away or surrenders. These scenarios are told in the classroom.

The shooting test is EASY. I took my 12 & 15 yr old kids the next day and did the same test with my .357 using 38 special rounds. They both passed with flying colors.

You will start noticing stores/shops in your area that do not allow weapons. One that will surprise you is FedEx/Kinkos as well as Sports Authority. They sell gunds & ammo, but do not allow concealed carry.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have two pistols that will be used as carry guns---a Walther PPK/S .380 and a Springfield XD .45. I really like the .45 (lots of firepower) but the .380 will be easier to conceal. I was wondering how I should carry on the bike.

I thought about an ankle rig for the .380 but that may not be practicle for all situations.

Do you stack your mags with hollow points and hardballs?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just completed the Kansas Concealed Carry Handgun course and it was well with the time and investment. I'll head off to the Sheriff's office this coming Wednesdy to get the final paperwork started.

·
Registered
958 Posts
It took about 5 weeks to get my stuff back, then a week to get the hard copy from Topeka once I went to the DMV.

I carry only Federal 230 gr Hydra Shok JHP in the Gold & black box. Not sure about an ankle holster as my chaps would make it impossible to get to. My best advice is to go to Gander, Sportsmans and Bullet Stop, in your riding gear and experiment with the holsters. Bullet stop is more gun friendly to try your unloaded gun in the holster, as everyone in there most likely has a gun on them. Gander is friendly if you stop by the front counter and get your gun tagged first. Talk to the older gentleman who was a sheriff at one time. I can't think of his name. He is real nice. Likes to chat and BS.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I completed the Kansas CCH class last year and will be taking the Utah (non-resident) CCH class at Gander Mountain later this month. For Kansas residents, it picks up an additional eleven States that are not covered by the Kansas CCH. I figure it will be worth the extra expense, since my wife and I travel so much.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I completed the Kansas CCH class last year and will be taking the Utah (non-resident) CCH class at Gander Mountain later this month. For Kansas residents, it picks up an additional eleven States that are not covered by the Kansas CCH. I figure it will be worth the extra expense, since my wife and I travel so much.
I didn't know that could be done. How many hours will the course be and how is it different than the Kansas course?

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'd recommend against an ankle holster for the bike...tough to access depending on gear. picks up road grime if just under jeans (or pant leg could blow up & advertise for you)...plus it would get knocked around a bunch during start/stop.

shoulder holster, jacket/vest pocket depending on size of pistola, or mount a holster on the side of the tank :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think I've got to agree with you. I just finished taking the VTX out for a romp and got to thinking what might work the best. An ankle rig could be more of a pain than it is worth. I got this gift of getting caught in bad weather and a rainsuit would make access almost impossible.

I turned in my paperwork and money to the Sheriff's Dept this morning. A very nice female deputy named "Pinky" got me processed and set me up with a corrections officer for fingerprinting. Fingerprinting is a bit of a drag but it doesn't take long. Only a few hunderd people have the CCHL in our county so far and the Sheriff's Dept. has not been swamped. Any delay will be at the state level, not the county.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I didn't know that could be done. How many hours will the course be and how is it different than the Kansas course?
The non-resident Utah class I'm taking in Wichita is from 1-6 PM. It's four hours of class time only and the last hour is for
fingerprinting/paperwork/etc... My understanding is it covers Utah's laws/requirements. The total cost is about half of what the Kansas class/permit is. That's about all I know at this time. I was warned to take it as soon as possible due to the flood of out-of-state applicants (before the Utah law makers make any changes).

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Clarke, I think you are on to something. I have to be in Wichita tomorrow afternoon (Thursday) to pick up my brother arriving back to Kansas after an extended holiday in California (lucky dawg). I'll stop by Gander Mountain to check it out.

Thanks for the info.:D

·
Registered
133 Posts
BearTaylor: Better yet, email [email protected]. Ken is the one who sets up/teaches this class. If there's room in the class, you might be able to register in the same class I'm taking on 1/25/09.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You're good!!!!! I'll do that and thanks again.:D

Update: I enrolled in course to be held on Jan. 25. Some extra states wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
94 Posts
just got mine about 2 months ago i carry about 80% of the time mostly in my back waistband but that dont work to well on the bike so my wife as awsome as she is bought a nylon holster trimed it down a little and sewed it into the liner of my vest it looks great. my trusty sidekick is a hi-point 40 good cheap hand gun

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good for you and what a nice woman you married. :congrats: She must really care for you if she's willing to sew a cut down holster into your vest. I think you just gave me a solution for a simple way to carry while riding a bike.

I did get a chance to meet Clarke at the Utah carry class. He's a heck of a nice fellow.

Oh by the way, how long did it take to get your paperwork from the AG's office.?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts