1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Looks like a Bonny clone to me. It's a nice enough retro, but somehow not original enough for me. JMO.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Aahhh, to own a Rickman Honda back in the day. All bow before me. It was the height of cool and you had no need to prove yourself. The W800 is kinda cool,but for someone else to own, not me. Unfortunately the way the market is going now,it looks like the only largish bikes to be selling now,are the ones that appeal to the blokes over 50 (or 60) who are getting divorced and reliving their youth. A couple of mates I ride with have bought the Kawasaki 900s and they are a good looking unit. The only thing I could fault is the way the front mudguard attaches looks a bit tacky. Just looking at them though, makes me somehow remember the boner I could get as an 18 year old that is just a memory now. Retro bikes aye. Has anyone else noticed the motorcycle magazines now have a "remember when page" or two reprinting story's or write ups on bikes from times gone by. Are we really stuck in the past or has bike styling hit a brick wall?

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
My 1st impression was it's a retro Cafe' Racer wannabe that didn't go far enough. But then thats where the past few decades of crotch rockets evolved from. My 400SS 6 sp. Honda that I altered a Triumph Dunstall bullet fairing had better & faster styling lines, and was worth a 13 mph gain on top end. Many moons ago.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Aahhh, to own a Rickman Honda back in the day. All bow before me. It was the height of cool and you had no need to prove yourself. The W800 is kinda cool,but for someone else to own, not me. Unfortunately the way the market is going now,it looks like the only largish bikes to be selling now,are the ones that appeal to the blokes over 50 (or 60) who are getting divorced and reliving their youth. A couple of mates I ride with have bought the Kawasaki 900s and they are a good looking unit. The only thing I could fault is the way the front mudguard attaches looks a bit tacky. Just looking at them though, makes me somehow remember the boner I could get as an 18 year old that is just a memory now. Retro bikes aye. Has anyone else noticed the motorcycle magazines now have a "remember when page" or two reprinting story's or write ups on bikes from times gone by. Are we really stuck in the past or has bike styling hit a brick wall?
It's because youth ain't buying. All the buying power is with us oldies. The really sad thing is that people want to buy a bike that looks like the bike that gave them a boner when they were wee'uns. I would rather see good quality thoroughly modern motors that don't have all the elastictrickery. just good simple bikes without traction control or rider modes, I am ok with ABS but really don't need all that fly by wire ****e.

The W800 ain't a patch on the new bonnies. but once again I would like to see that Kawi with mono shock and upside down forks with some nice fairly light weight wheels (mags of course) a nice balance of modern and retro.

·
Registered
278 Posts
My first was the blue and turquoise Kawasaki 400 then I upgraded to 1980 650 special most complimented bike I ever owned. seat was torn bought it for $500 fixed seat polished till it shined met my wife on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
I'm diggin' that Kawi 400 2 smoker.

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New tech with old style

There is definately a market for old style looks with benefit of the latest technologies applied. I personally love retro styled bikes from the 50's and 60's, but wouldn't want to deal with how far behind current technologies they are. These new/old versions are the perfect solution. The new Indian motorcycles are a perfect example of old school looks coupled with modern tech.

I have no doubt that much of the new trend towards retro/vintage has to do with the huge population of older riders feeling nostalgic for their youth, but based on the current fashion trends of collage age guys there is also a 'what is old is cool' trend. Many of the guys at my work in their early 20's are dressing in jeans with the cuffs rolled up for example and retro cool clothing is a hot sale these days. The retro motorcyle has become a fashion statement of coolness, I'm guessing because there is no modern comparison to what was cool in the past.

Here is a related article:

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/motorcycle-trend-watch-retro-vintage-is-in

·
Registered
231 Posts
Ahh, the Yamaha 650 xs special. It was the supermodel of motorcycles at the time. A very pretty bike and very desirable.
Suzi-GS850 much better though!! :+)

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
There is definately a market for old style looks with benefit of the latest technologies applied. I personally love retro styled bikes from the 50's and 60's, but wouldn't want to deal with how far behind current technologies they are. These new/old versions are the perfect solution. The new Indian motorcycles are a perfect example of old school looks coupled with modern tech.

I have no doubt that much of the new trend towards retro/vintage has to do with the huge population of older riders feeling nostalgic for their youth, but based on the current fashion trends of collage age guys there is also a 'what is old is cool' trend. Many of the guys at my work in their early 20's are dressing in jeans with the cuffs rolled up for example and retro cool clothing is a hot sale these days. The retro motorcyle has become a fashion statement of coolness, I'm guessing because there is no modern comparison to what was cool in the past.

Here is a related article:

https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/motorcycle-trend-watch-retro-vintage-is-in

I agree, whatever is old is new again at some point. I personally can't wait for cruisers to come back.

·
Registered
555 Posts
we can never go back in time....

I was riding cafe' bikes in the 70's... I am not young anymore..

I also agree... a Bonny clone.

Rickman Honda CB750.. KZ900, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickman_Motorcycles
Kawasaki sees Triumph having some sales success with Cafe style bikes coming back on today's motorcycle scene. Kawasaki thinking these are some easy bikes to manufacture let's make some and see how they'll sell. Notice Kawasaki chose a 800cc twin engine close to Triumph.

·
Registered
8,958 Posts
the best part of cafe'.. sport bikes.

TRACK DAY'S... CBR1000F Hurricane., VF750F Interceptor.
for OLD,, Rickman framed / Honda CB750 with the 850 KIT, Honda Works camshaft with light weigh rocker arms, sodium filled titanium valves , transister triggered ignition. aka 1973-76

1 - 20 of 25 Posts