Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With temperatures in the mid 90s and New York City traffic being bumper-to-bumper, any idea how long the bike can stand still in that heat in that traffic with the fan going without damage?
And for the survey part:
In that situation, would you just say “forget this” and ride on the shoulder? Or lane split?

·
Registered
517 Posts
With temperatures in the mid 90s and New York City traffic being bumper-to-bumper, any idea how long the bike can stand still in that heat in that traffic with the fan going without damage?
And for the survey part:
In that situation, would you just say “forget this” and ride on the shoulder? Or lane split?
It should be fine all day. The problem is, when the fan is running, on my bike isn't really charging the battery as well as it could. I have a kuryakyn voltmeter that has a green dot when running (14.8 V at idle, and 14.3 at 2k+ RPM), when the fan is on, I lose the last green dot and am in the yellow (I haven't checked the voltage when the fan is running).

I have a batwing fairing with a 350W amp running and a double DIN GPS head unit, so this might contribute to this.

·
Old Goat
24,077 Posts
Shouldn’t be a problem..but I would keep the idle up a touch in heavy stop and go.....I too have the Kury meter and I lose a green dot at idle in stop and go...never been in the red....bike does not charge at idle (900 rpm’s)....good luck

·
Registered
517 Posts
Shouldn’t be a problem..but I would keep the idle up a touch in heavy stop and go.....I too have the Kury meter and I lose a green dot at idle in stop and go...never been in the red....bike does not charge at idle (900 rpm’s)....good luck
I edited my post.

At idle I have 1 full green with a second green flickering 14.8V.

At higher RPMs I have one solid green dot 14.3V (no second green dot flickering).

At idle in stop and go traffic and the fan kicks on, I lose all green dots and it sits at the top yellow (didn't test the Volts in this situation) without ever hitting red.

·
Registered
25,836 Posts
And for the survey part:

Bike should be fine- but how about YOU?
I drink a lot of water anyway due to a medical issue.
I also drink a Sports drink (Power-Ade) to stay hydrated.

Here in Manchester Ct, it got up to 94* with dew points in the upper 70s today.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Well I would be the odd man out lane splitting and probably annoying one or two folk (stop go traffic makes lots of people look for something to be annoyed about) Sometimes I have turned my bike off if it looks like I am stuck for a few minutes. Its me I am worried about when the temps get really high.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
13 years in south-central Texas often riding over 100 degrees, occasionally in heavy traffic and never an overheating problem. But like Spike said, it important to maintain the coolant (and brake) fluids. My bike is a 2003 so I change both the coolant and brake fluid in January of odd years. No thinking required.

BTW we just had the cold front blow through here and we are down to 94 today, a breath of fresh air.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts