Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kurry deep dish rear turns Custom Dynamics light clusters UPDATE!

Get compalints about how dim my turns are on the bike, Smoke lenses and red bulbs in them.

Any one used this from kurry yet? http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7013&str=11

35$ a bulb anyone done it yet and it calls for a load EQ where
on the bike does this get put in on the right side cover im
thinking?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
opppppps, Forgot to add that you can get by without the load equalizer and just install their electronic flasher. That way you save all that wattage. It plugs right into your stock flasher location, under the right side cover. If you get one of the adjustable flashers you can get some trick blinker patterns. Change them to fit your mood. They get more attention then regular blinking, I think anyway.

Here's a link: http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

With their programmable flasher... well this is what they say:
"This flasher relay system will operate properly and consistently for blinker loads ranging from 0.1A to 5A, which basically covers any combination of any blinker products on the market! " Makes it all Plug n' Play on your '02 S!

I have an '03 S and the one I bought from them changes pattern by playin' with the blinker switch. Appears they don't have that one any longer. I had the programmable one before that but I stripped the part that adjusted the patterns as every time I rode the bike I would change the blinker pattern. Still worked thou.

Hope that helps,
Gary

·
Registered
13,182 Posts
+10 on the electronic flasher. I want the power savings as well as the bright light. With all due respect to Bare, load equalizers do the job but defeat the purpose. Electronic flasher more dependable and uses less power too. You will have to do the diode fix on the C model though. About $2 and an hour if you take your time.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
opppppps, Forgot to add that you can get by without the load equalizer and just install their electronic flasher. That way you save all that wattage. It plugs right into your stock flasher location, under the right side cover. If you get one of the adjustable flashers you can get some trick blinker patterns. Change them to fit your mood. They get more attention then regular blinking, I think anyway.

Here's a link: http://www.customdynamics.com/trick_flasher.htm

With their programmable flasher... well this is what they say:
"This flasher relay system will operate properly and consistently for blinker loads ranging from 0.1A to 5A, which basically covers any combination of any blinker products on the market! " Makes it all Plug n' Play on your '02 S!

I have an '03 S and the one I bought from them changes pattern by playin' with the blinker switch. Appears they don't have that one any longer. I had the programmable one before that but I stripped the part that adjusted the patterns as every time I rode the bike I would change the blinker pattern. Still worked thou.

Hope that helps,
Gary

great link THANKS!

On the right track now, found the flasher now for the bulb thingeys

Appreciated

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
great link THANKS! can you tell me what bulb you bought i see there are several different ones just more and more led's?

Appreciated
After checking what I got I see that there is a difference now as to what they are carrying. The genesis is newer and have a different part #. I just read another post that a person with the Genesis blinker had fitment problems. So you may want to do a search and see if he figured it out. I know the ones I got I had to "play" with to make them fit. Wasn't hard just used silicone to "seal" then in but not so much I couldn't remove them if needed.

Now they have some dual leds that can make it so you have running, turn and blinkers. Since I ended up putting in a controller that made the rear blinkers into running lights that I think I would have bought the ones that have the yellow ring for the blinkers instead of just blinking red.

Here's a gif of that one:

I believe you would also need the part/controller that actually makes them be able to do all those things which cost another $100 or so. I didn't read into far enough. I went back and read some more and maybe it doesn't need the other controller. Call them and make sure. Wish it was available when I did my changeover.

I see that have a "complete" kit to change the bike over that includes the load equalizer. I would give them a call and see if they would put a "kit" together that included the flasher.

The way the stock VTX is setup is with the 1157 bulbs in the front and the 1156 in the back. The more leds the more light!!!

Sorry for the delay I didn't get an email that a person responded... Just happen to click on it again.

Good luck,
Gary

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I know it's not the answer to your question but these are what I installed and they are BRIGHT and fill the blinker. I too have the smoked lens.

http://www.customdynamics.com/honda_turn_signal_led.htm

Here's a pic:

Have fun,
Gary
see just when i thought i had it i cornfused myself.... on that page there are a bunch of different ones. can you tell me what parts you bought? and you need one or two of the controler thing a majugs? i see they have a kit but then its got all kinds of diodes and load equalizers stabilizers... im ready to order... appreciate the help since you have already gone this route. ALSO what are you doing with your tail light?????

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
SO if i got this right I think I do,

I need the flasher for honda CHECK - EDFR
02-03 1800 S models
1157 ambers for the front CHECK - GEN180-R-1157-TH
1156 reds for the rear CHECK - GEN180-R-1156-TH

You have 1 flashers not one for front and one for back?

I think I have the part#'s right, My main goal is to be albe to have
others see my turns better in the bright sun. I dont care if they are
running lights or not at this point. and thats another 70$ ontop.

I really appreciate the advice and the link, I can make them fit no problem there. Love the deep dish lenses just they are quite bright enuf. TO bad they dont have from what I can find a good tail light bulb for us. or do they?

·
Registered
801 Posts
wow Just got the Kury deep dish , haven't had them on much, I Love the look but now I am worried about visibility, I Think its very Important to be well seen

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
SO if i got this right I think I do,

I need the flasher for honda CHECK - EDFR
02-03 1800 S models
1157 ambers for the front CHECK - GEN180-R-1157-TH
1156 reds for the rear CHECK - GEN180-R-1156-TH

You have 1 flashers not one for front and one for back?

I think I have the part#'s right, My main goal is to be albe to have
others see my turns better in the bright sun. I dont care if they are
running lights or not at this point. and thats another 70$ ontop.

I really appreciate the advice and the link, I can make them fit no problem there. Love the deep dish lenses just they are quite bright enuf. TO bad they dont have from what I can find a good tail light bulb for us. or do they?
Your like I am... When I want I want it now! I could tell you what I would buy but I would be adding things on as I would want to have the blinkers turned into the running, blinkers and brake lights which is not just adding the blinkers and flash controller. My way would cost more for sure but be the best setup available.

What you decided to buy is all I think you will need to do the basic job. You only need one flasher as it replaces the flasher on the bike. I don't remember if the flasher is a 2 or 3 prong flasher but since it says it replaces both of them I would guess that it's the one ya need. Besides on the web page it states that is the correct one for your '02 VTX.

Remember, if your gonna upgrade in the future with their products you may be throwing away ,monies as you have to replace parts to upgrade. So in the long run it's cheaper to pay for it all now. Saying that it appears, I would call them to verify,that upgrading the rear leds to the fancy $81 will give you running, blinkers and brakes. Here is what they say:
These clusters can be wired as: Red low intensity Running light, Red High Intensity Brake Light, and Amber High Intensity Turn Signals, this allows your rear turn signals to be converted from simple turn signals to Dynamic running, brake, and turns signals, all in one unit!!! Installation is very simple, just plug the base to the stock turn signal housing receptacle, run the orange running light wire and the red brake light wires through the stock turn signal steams back to the taillight, connect the orange wire to the stock running light and the red wire to the stock brake light wire with the supplied posi-tap connectors. (Don't use the posi-tap connectors) So for another $29.05 now and running 4 more wires you can upgrade your lights in the rear... Which changes it from Plug n Play. Call to verify Please!

I just called and checked and they are closed with hrs of Mon - Fri 9 to 5 and closed for lunch 12 - 1. Best thing is wait till Monday call them in the AM and get exactly what is needed. You will receive it the same time as any order placed before 4 Pm is sent out the same day. If you ordered this weekend it still would go out on Monday.

I have tried, I think, 5 different led type bulbs and flat board led configurations (I have a motorcycle trailer that I changed all the lights to leds) and none are as bright as the Custom Dynamics lights. I also have the Kuryakyn rear led brake light which is far superior to any other led brake light for the VTX I have seen.

Good luck,
Gary

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
wow Just got the Kury deep dish , haven't had them on much, I Love the look but now I am worried about visibility, I Think its very Important to be well seen

Did you get the smoked ones. I did and the next ride I was told the stock bulbs could not be seen well during the day. If not there should be no problems. Have someone ride behind ya during the day and check them out.

Good luck,
Gary

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks again gary, Ill call them on Monday and ask about the cadilacs your right might as well do it right do it once and be done with it.

what kurry brake light are you talling about the LED bulb?

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
thanks again gary, Ill call them on Monday and ask about the cadilacs your right might as well do it right do it once and be done with it.

what kurry brake light are you talling about the LED bulb?
oops, Meant they were Radianz tail lights. They have 128 leds to be seen. They made some that had combination brake and blinkers too, but I only got the all red brake ones.

Sorry about that,
Gary

·
Registered
431 Posts
I agree that the Kury deep dish bezels with the smoke lense leave much to be desired as far as daylight visibility is concerned. Changing to a SilverStar bulb helped somewhat but didn't make that much differance IMHO. I arrived at the conclusion that the Kury units lacked reflectors....so I separated the clear lens section from the metal concave thingy with the enlogated hole for the bulb to fit thru and cut some small pie shaped pieces from some plastic mirror that I had on hand (from one of those stick on convex mirrors that you buy at Wallmart for your car mirror...the concave side is also a mirror) and using two faced tape installed the mirrors on the concave metal thingy to act as reflectors for the bulb. I used three on the bottom and two on the top...you just have to trim the plastic mirror pieces in a pie shape to fit and clear when the two pieces were put back together. This would make a good C.R.A.P. mod but I have never submited it and I have no pictures of it because I am really a computer idiot :D:D:D. That being said...by adding some sort of reflector, the turn signals were GREATLY improved. I have also seen the red lens with a PIAA 27 watt bulb and it was bright. Bisley

·
Registered
306 Posts
this winter i installed the custom dynamics clusters all around. bought the no load flasher, had to do the diod fix to the dash 2 bucks and straight forward thanks to bareass website,i also went with the 128 1157 tail light .everything is using the clear lens covers altho i did buy the smoked lens incase i didnt like the clear . i have only rode once since this install hear in the northeast i can tell u the flash rate is perfect . because i have duel filment sockets i used 1157 all around. i beleve i made the best choice by using 48 led 1157s and 128 led tail light [make a note these clusters were not duell coulor clusters ] the reviews i read lead me to beleve i went the brightest clearest option with the least of flaws using leds. i am so far very happy .time with other riders will tell just how great my pick is.now i only need the lights in boults for my lis plate light. i hope all the cluster leds hold up a long time. time will tell

·
Registered
306 Posts
one thing that cought my eye on this bulb with the web site add was after 85 outside or on for a long time they will automaticly dim.this makes me wonder about the cluster bulbs i use and how mutch heat they will produse and on hot days will this afect life of the cluster bulbs .i am understanding that if any bulb does not state ultra bright stay away from that product.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Thanks bare I use your page whenever i need it for sure, got me thru many many things on the bike lol.

I found another option for the tail light bulb that I wanted you guys to look at. And give me some input.

BA15 5-Watt LED bulb
Super Bright 5-Watt High Power LED 12VDC replacement bulb
15mm 1156 Single or 1157 Dual Intensity Bayonet Base - Brightest LED Tail Light bulb on the market BRIGHTER THAN STOCK TAIL LAMP BULBS!
Super Wide 220 Degree Viewing Angle
Select Base type and LED Color
For vehicle brake tail light

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

$30.00 per bulb

DETAILED info and specs on this bulb...

http://www.superbrightleds.com/specs/115x-xLX3.htm
You would still need the electronic flasher.

I have never used the 3 watt and 5 watt and not sure how it actually would look as to brightness and view-ability.

I have also bought from this place too: http://autolumination.com/
Here is the page you may want to look at:
http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

I have bought quite a few leds from both of those places and have been satisfied with most of them. The ones I wasn't satisfied were the ones I bought and used in a different condition than what they were made for. In other words I was experimenting, so my own fault.

Here is the most important thing when I buy from
and experiment (highlighted the important parts in red):
RETURN POLICY
We have a 30 day return policy. Please email or call for return authorization (you do not require an RMA Number) if you need to return or exchange items. A copy of the invoice is required to return or exchange items. Please order small sample quantities of leds to test for suitability in your application before ordering large quantities. A 15% restocking fee will be charged for the return of orders totaling $100 or more. LEDS (not LED bulbs) cannot be returned if the package has been opened, LED Bulbs and other products can be.
You are responsible for return shipping and we will not refund your original shipping change.

For Autolumination, here is a link: http://www.autolumination.com/policy_return.htm

Here is some general info about leds that I put together for a 300 C forum I belong to. Here are parts of it that you may find interesting:
As to the brightness of the Led’s:
Led bulbs are generally not as bright as standard incandescent bulbs, but they have many advantages over filament bulbs (longer life, faster on/off times, lower power consumption, more vivid colors) but brightness is not one of them. Some of the replacement Leds with LARGER numbers of Leds will appear brighter than filament bulbs.

The light from an led is distributed differently so they can appear brighter in some applications and not as bright in others; it depends on the size and shape of the bulb housing and reflector.

An interesting tidbit is that the faster on/off time of a led (in nanoseconds) gives the drivers following you an extra 19 feet of stopping distance at 60mph.

Wide angle (approx. 100 degree beam) will light up more area but are dimmer than the narrow angle. The narrow angle (approx. 15 degree) will illuminate a smaller area but brighter than the wide angle. There are bulbs with some Leds aiming out the end of the bulb and some radially mounted Leds aiming out the sides of the bulb. These will provide a more complete and even light pattern on most vehicle lens.

BTW, there is a big difference in Leds. You want to compare the voltage, lumens/intensity, and wide or narrow viewing angles. If you buy from different sources you will want to know the wavelength, usually listed in nm, so the color matches.

Led’s generally use 20 mA per Led. BTW, the led’s that are in pods, like 4-6 led’s, are wired in series and draw the same 20 mA as 1 led would.

All that being said... the Custom Dynamic lights are probably still the BEST set up I know of. They work well! No questions about it!

Good luck,
Gary

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
im for sure going with the custom dynamics for my turns, still in search of a good one for the tail light, I already have the clear tail light cover and the reviews on the led bords for the retro arent that great. thats waht i was looking at that one 5watt led to try....

insert... TO BOLDY GO WHERE NO VTX TAIL LIGHT HAS GONE BEFORE!

lol... ill take one for the team :firstplace:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts