Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I understand why they have a 2 circuit amber bulb for the fronts so they will work as turn and running lights. So why don't they have a single circuit amber bulb for the rear? I think I would rather have amber turn signals in the back than red. Will the 2 circuit bulb work the same in the back? I think I will give it a try with the stock bulbs on my bike tonight when I get home.

Any one delt with this on their bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
stagecombat said:
Are you done? said:
Ok, I understand ..........
With that user name:

Are you sure you're not my ex-wife?
Actually it's what MY wife says every time I buy a new toy! My current 'cylinder count' is up to 36!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Couldn't you have ordered two sets of the ones with the amber lenses instead of one of each?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bugsy72 said:
Couldn't you have ordered two sets of the ones with the amber lenses instead of one of each?
The lenses are clear (smoke) and the bulbs have the color on them. they only offer an amber 2 circuit and a red 1 circuit so if the 2 circuit bulb doesn't work in the back you have to go to red turn signals in the back.

Looks like an opportunity to do some research on my own.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
31 Posts
Are you done? said:
bugsy72 said:
Couldn't you have ordered two sets of the ones with the amber lenses instead of one of each?
The lenses are clear (smoke) and the bulbs have the color on them. they only offer an amber 2 circuit and a red 1 circuit so if the 2 circuit bulb doesn't work in the back you have to go to red turn signals in the back.

Looks like an opportunity to do some research on my own.

Are you done, research is great and this might help a bit. Based on posts I'vd read on this board, I changed my HDL order from 2 "front" to 1 front and 1 rear bezel. The fronts are 1157's (2 circuit, like you said )and the rear is 1156 (1 circuit). I have read that if you put 1157 in the rear it can simulate running lights and still work as turn signals, though with some inconsistency or the dash light stays on, something like that. Maybe someone can jump in here and clarify.

I'm in CA and we can only have amber bulbs as rear turn signals unless they are set up as running lights as well, then they need to be red. I am thinking of getting a run/turn/brake controller which is why I got the "rear"/red bezels. I went to Pep Boys and got the silvertine or silvertone bulbs from Sylvania. They are kinda clear looking and shine amber, a nice clean look. Hope that helps a little.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BBC said:
Are you done? said:
bugsy72 said:
Couldn't you have ordered two sets of the ones with the amber lenses instead of one of each?
The lenses are clear (smoke) and the bulbs have the color on them. they only offer an amber 2 circuit and a red 1 circuit so if the 2 circuit bulb doesn't work in the back you have to go to red turn signals in the back.

Looks like an opportunity to do some research on my own.

Are you done, research is great and this might help a bit. Based on posts I'vd read on this board, I changed my HDL order from 2 "front" to 1 front and 1 rear bezel. The fronts are 1157's (2 circuit, like you said )and the rear is 1156 (1 circuit). I have read that if you put 1157 in the rear it can simulate running lights and still work as turn signals, though with some inconsistency or the dash light stays on, something like that. Maybe someone can jump in here and clarify.

I'm in CA and we can only have amber bulbs as rear turn signals unless they are set up as running lights as well, then they need to be red. I am thinking of getting a run/turn/brake controller which is why I got the "rear"/red bezels. I went to Pep Boys and got the silvertine or silvertone bulbs from Sylvania. They are kinda clear looking and shine amber, a nice clean look. Hope that helps a little.
Thanks! I will check around. I hope to add a programable turn signal canceller by Kisan soon that will also allow for rear running lights.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top