Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this week a buddy hit a deer......he will recover and will probably continue to ride with shorts, sandals, and no helmet......but this begs the question..anyone use the whistle and does it work? I live in NE Ohio where there are tons of deer and it's a concern.......

G

·
I have not used the Kury whistle though I do live in deer country. On a farm surrounded by other farms that grow corn and lots of wooded areas.

When I first moved out here many years ago I had two encounters with deer on the roads while operating a car. Thank god I was not on a motorcycle.

After the second encounter with a deer I went and had Deer Whistles installed on all vehicle and now over 8 years later anytime I see a deer it's the a$$end as they are going AWAY from my direction.

Do they work? I have to believe they do.

Some will tell you " I see cars in the body shop with deer whistles that have hit deer ". There is a reason for this, either impact was at speed less than 30, or the whistle was dirty or air flow impaired.

Now for some advice ---

Mechanical whistles require a vehicle speed of 30 MPH to work.

All Deer Whistles require they be kept CLEAN. ( those insects you clean off your windshield/helmet shield can also clog a whistle )

Mount them ( mechanical ) in an area where air will flow through freely.

Kury being electronic is great because they will work at all speeds. I do advise to clean them regularly as a dirty whistle may do you no good.

·
Registered
576 Posts
State Farm insurance will give you one for free. I have them on all my cars and so I also put one on my bike. Do they work? I don't know, but the TX state troopers all have them on their cars. My sister-in-law in Oklahoma hit 3 deer at different times within a 2-year period (actually, you don't hit a deer, they jump into you). After the 3rd accident, I mounted a deer whistle on her car, and she's driven a little over 3 years without an accident. She's seen a few deer alongside the road, but they are always running the opposite direction. I figure as long as the thing doesn't attract deer, what can it hurt? My whistle's black and my bike's black, so it's not even noticeable. 8)

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Every time I ride through deer infested areas I always drink a pint of snake oil first. It seems to have the same effect as those whistles :)

no snakes were murdered in order to make this post

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
Bigdog 1 said:
Every time I ride through deer infested areas I always drink a pint of snake oil first. It seems to have the same effect as those whistles :)

+ 1

One of the big bike mags did a little research on the things a couple years back................................Very little difference with or without. Please don't get to feeling to secure running those things..........Even with most of the noise behind me I would say my Bigshots would scare off more deer than those whistles.Best to slow down & keep alert.............................. :D Rod

·
Registered
576 Posts
RODS X said:
[quote="Bigdog 1":d1xjnymu]Every time I ride through deer infested areas I always drink a pint of snake oil first. It seems to have the same effect as those whistles :)

+ 1

One of the big bike mags did a little research on the things a couple years back................................Very little difference with or without. Please don't get to feeling to secure running those things..........Even with most of the noise behind me I would say my Bigshots would scare off more deer than those whistles.Best to slow down & keep alert.............................. :D Rod[/quote:d1xjnymu]

Yep, that's probably the best advice.

·
Registered
804 Posts
we installed deer whistles on all 2000 of our over-the-road trucks only because they're cheap. there is no consensus on whether they work or not, but you might notice a lot of far north trucks have massive steel protection on their fronts - they are not investing that money because the whistles work.
deer seem to act differently in different parts of the country, northwest they seem to stand and graze right on the shoulder of the highway and ignore traffic, texas hill country they never travel alone, etc. anyone else notice specific characteristics?

·
Registered
272 Posts
the cops around here have brush guards on there cars. an stoped useing the whistles. they said if a deer had crossed the road an heard the whistle it would turn an run back where it came from (that means back across the road) right in frount of you.

G

·
RODS X said:
[quote="Bigdog 1":39shn7og]Every time I ride through deer infested areas I always drink a pint of snake oil first. It seems to have the same effect as those whistles :)

+ 1

One of the big bike mags did a little research on the things a couple years back................................Very little difference with or without. Please don't get to feeling to secure running those things..........Even with most of the noise behind me I would say my Bigshots would scare off more deer than those whistles.Best to slow down & keep alert.............................. :D Rod[/quote:39shn7og]

Rods X - I guess you do not have a reference to that research article - do you? :wink:

I know of a group of 7 riders ... all had very loud pipes.

Six of those riders rode their bikes home.

The 7th? Oh yeah he was cleaning off road rash and deer hair. OOPS!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

So much for the loud pipe theory! :D :wink:

It's funny, this debate has been carried out in several bike forums I participate in, there is plenty of anecdotal evidence against deer whistle. I have yet to see any substantial factual evidence against them.

Every time I read of a biker hitting a deer, there is one common theme. Not one of them had deer whistles. On the other hand I know several bikers that use them and never hit a deer.

Go figure! :roll:

·
Registered
289 Posts
I hit a deer a few years back on another bike. So after replacing that bike with the X, I bought the Kury electronic whistle (Hornet) and ran with it for a year. I see deer in the fields and crossing nearly every day on the way to work. I gotta say, I didn't notice any difference in there behavior with or without it.

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
garysauctions said:
RODS X said:
http://www.ibmwr.org/otech/deerw.html[/url]

http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/martin/twigs/deerwhistles.php

http://www.usroads.com/journals/rmj/9705/rm970503.htm

http://cru.cahe.wsu.edu/CEPublications/ ... b1677.html

http://www.ibmwr.org/prodreview/deerwsle.html

As far as my V&H Pipes I DID say most of the noise was behind me, I only made that statement to show how worthless they were. The article I was speaking of was in either Cycle World or Roadbike last year.....................................Rod :D

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/safet ... ohdeer.htm

G

·
Thanks,

Interesting articles .. the first was actually a readers letter to an editor.

The other mentioned 'tests were done' but made no mention of who did the testing or how. Neither of the 3 offered conclusive evidence, a lot of opinion and referencing of various 'tests'. Some mentioned testing on 'captive deer', well my neighbor has had captive deer from time to time and they don't seem to react the same in captivity as they do wild.

I wrote emails to one of those sources asking them to explain this phenomenon .....
" If deer whistles don't work .... why is it every motorcycle that strikes a deer does not have a functioning whistle. Yet on the other hand of all the motorcycles I know that have a deer whistle installed, none have struck a deer. "

Do they work? Do they not work?

I don't know, I do know that since we installed them on the vehicles here no deer have been struck. Prior to that though we had two incidents that ended in 3 dead deer. Yeah my old Ford Taurus took out 2 deer in one strike.

We have one section of road, about 1/4 mile long where we all know deer herd up on both sides - this section is very dangerous in that respect so for the most part people will blow their horns as they approach. The downside to this is over time the deer seem to have become used to hearing a horn and are not as affected by it as they used to be.

Another tactic we use is changing vehicle speed. A car goes by at a constant 40 mph the deer will stand and watch it. Let that car slow down or speed up and the deer will alert.

Here's how I look at it .... the cost of one is minimal .... if they work and prevent you from hitting a deer the savings is great. If they don't work, or you don't keep it clean and hit a deer, the cost of that whistle won't matter.

I will agree with that last article .... swerving to avoid a deer or any animal is STUPID.

When you live among as serious a deer population as I do, you use every trick you can find and make up new ones. We kill plenty of deer here every year through hunting, but I swear they multiply like rabbits.

I have a whistle on my bike when I ride at night - I also have a radio that plays loudly as well - I for one will use every tool available to avoid hitting a deer while riding - even if there is no proof it doesn't work! :D :D :D

NOTE: This debate rages on in many places and sort of remind me of the Darksiders and their Car Tire on a Motorcycle debate. Oh well so it goes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts