Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this on their bike - how do you like it?

I am considering getting it, but my concern is that my legs would be too long for the fixed-position pegs; I have a 34" inseam....any thoughts?

Also, in buying an engine guard, I want to to have functional value - able to guard the engine if/when the bike ever is laid down....any unfortunate first hand experiences with this guard versus others?

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Ergo bars were the very first thing i bought for my 06 C model, have never regretted it. Don't worry about the legs being to long, i have a 32" inseam and with the pegs flipped out i have barely enough to put my feet at the end of the pegs, the best thing about these bars is the adjust ability you have with your legs, besides the pegs themselves. I usually ride with them out and use the inside part until my knees get ready for a change, then I will put my heels in the slots left by the pegs going out, or even lay my leg flat on the pegs, so many places to put your feet i ride 300 to 400 miles a day with no discomfort, I can't say the same thing for any other bike I have been on. Some folks think they are not strong enough if you lay the bike over, untrue, I dropped mine at about 5mph and they did there job fine, I have no experience with anything over that, but they are solid if installed correctly. Go for it, the best bars I've ever ridden with.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Ergo bars were the very first thing i bought for my 06 C model, have never regretted it. Don't worry about the legs being to long, i have a 32" inseam and with the pegs flipped out i have barely enough to put my feet at the end of the pegs, the best thing about these bars is the adjust ability you have with your legs, besides the pegs themselves. I usually ride with them out and use the inside part until my knees get ready for a change, then I will put my heels in the slots left by the pegs going out, or even lay my leg flat on the pegs, so many places to put your feet i ride 300 to 400 miles a day with no discomfort, I can't say the same thing for any other bike I have been on. Some folks think they are not strong enough if you lay the bike over, untrue, I dropped mine at about 5mph and they did there job fine, I have no experience with anything over that, but they are solid if installed correctly. Go for it, the best bars I've ever ridden with.
Never had any problems with scraping the bars in a tight turn? Looking at the photos on that thread listed above, it looks like that would be an issue....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am continually finding people talking about the danger in these engine guards scraping during a turn, especially on a left turn on a steeply crowned road. I had also read, though, that there had been some changes made in the design during 2008 to address this. So, I contacted customer service with the contact info provided in another thread on VTXOA. These are the emails that were exchanged:

ME WRITING TO ALI AT KURYAKYN: I was given your contact information by folks on a VTX owners association message board, who evidently had some contact with you about this issue in the past. I was considering purchasing the Ergo Engine Guards for my 2005 Honda VTX 1300R, however, I have read many reviews that really slam the design of the Ergo's due ot a scraping problem that exists during cornering. My question is this: have there been any modifications of the Ergo Engine Guards to specifically address and correct this problem, and if so, when were those changes made?

Thank you for your assistance!

ALI WRITING BACK TO ME: Item #4587 is the Ergo Engine Guard for the VTX1300's and we have no plans on changing the design. It has been discussed and it has been determined that no change is needed. We do have a fixes footrest version of the guard, it's our item #4582. Here is a link to this product:

http://www.kuryakyn.com/index.cfm/go/Home.ProductDetail/IMID/904

The above may be an option for your VTX1300.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can be of further assistance, thanks for inquiring about our products!

MY RESPONSE TO ALI: Thank you very much for your prompt response! It was very appreciated.

I'm not sure if there is a "power that be" that would be interested in hearing the thoughts of a consumer, but if there is such a person, I hope they might receive these three brief points with regard to the Ergo Engine Guards on the Honda VTX's and the scraping of the engine guards on turns:
1. I believe Kuryakyn to be a reputable brand, that makes a good product, however
2. I am surprised and extraordinarily disappointed by Kuryakyn's inaction on something that is seemingly a problem (at best) in the design, and lowers my opinion of Kuryakyn's product line as a whole, as well as degrades my opinion of Kuryakyn's trustworthiness.
3. This information has definitely pursuaded me to purchase an engine guard from a different company, and I will have a difficult time in "forgetting" Kuryakyn's lack of attention to detail and downright ignoring safety hazardard(s) when it comes time to purchase other aftermarket parts for my bike.

I have come to expect far better from Kuryakyn.

If anyone else is interested in contacting Ali about this, her email address is [email protected].

Needless to say, I still LOVE the design of those Ergo guards, but they just aren't worth the risk of dumping the bike on the road, and/or worse...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I have them on my 1800 retro and haven't had any problems either. My floorboards hit first telling me to slow down also but then again, I don't ride agressive through the twisties.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have them on my 1800 retro and haven't had any problems either. My floorboards hit first telling me to slow down also but then again, I don't ride agressive through the twisties.
Yeah, generally I am not an aggressive rider either. However, a left turn on a crowned road seems like it would be problematic regardless of the aggressiveness of the rider.

And, truthfully, my thought is that I just don't want to have to worry about my crash bars being the cause of a crash, instead of a tool that works in favor of my safety in the event one happens. My cautious side is telling me that there are enough dangers on the road already without me needing to tote another around with me permenantly affixed to my bike!

Also, in fairness and full disclosure, the accidents that I was reading about on VTXOA and other sites were all involving models other than the Retro's. I don't recall hearing of a Retro that wrecked after catching the Ergo Bars on the ground.

But like I said, my cautious side is winning me over on this one! (The Ergo's still look hot, though!)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have had no experience with the guards hitting the ground, my pegs have hit on both sides, but the only marks on the guards are from laying it over. Not sure where this rumor came from but i have never seen the actual person saying they are the ones that hit the bars, it has always been "heard of this" or "my friend said" All I can say is both pegs scrap before the bars.
Later

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not sure where this rumor came from but i have never seen the actual person saying they are the ones that hit the bars, it has always been "heard of this" or "my friend said"
Here is the original post from VTXOA (with photos) of the accident which was allegedly caused by the Ergo's: http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=122206. There were others that I found, also with photos, on other sites like VTX Cafe.

My presumption is that the original post comes from someone that is being honest in his account of the accident - logic would state that he would have nothing to personally gain by bashing Kuryakyn in some sort of fabricated story...

I have had no experience with the guards hitting the ground, ... All I can say is both pegs scrap before the bars.
I don't doubt that the pegs or floorboards scrape before the bars themselves. But, the fact that it is not a whole-heartedly uncommon occurance, as evidenced by the many discussions about this on differing websites throughout the course of the last 2.5 years, leads me to want to look toward something else, even if dragging the bars is not the "norm."

Now, there are *some* stories of the same thing happening to, say, Cobra Fatty bars (I was unable to find photos of these accidents), but those stories - at least as documented on VTX enthusiast message boards - are MUCH fewer and farther between, and is seemingly a true rareity.

I believe the folks here that say that they have had absolutely no problems with their Ergo bars. However, my only point was that - all else equal between Ergo bars and some other choice without the negative publicity - I've chosen to go with the latter, despite my liking of the Ergo's look and general concept.

(I would have held out for the Ergo's had Kuryakyn simply aknowledged that there may have been an unforeseen issue in a handful of cases, and so they are being modified. Even if they came out with something as simple as a kit to raise the bars up an inch or two...but the unwillingness to consider the mere possibility of a flaw worthy of correcting to ensure the safety of their products and the confidence of customers in the safety of their products, upsets me greatly.)

·
Registered
283 Posts
There are some pictures of mine at http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2180895#post2180895

Mine are on an 07 1300R. And I've drug the floorboards without any incident. Other than scratching the bottom of the floorboards.

Kuryakyn did re-engineer these mid-08. The ones I have are post-re-engineer.

I'm 5'9" and have only ised the flip-out footpegs just to see if they work. For all intense purposes, I'm too short to make realisitc use of them. Folded down works great for me.

AND, in my opinion, they look a lot better than all the others I researched prior to purchase.

Hope this helps,

Kevin
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts