Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i got a l.e.d brake light for the stock housing from dlp a long time ago and it is installed, but the lights kinda point up, not out the back. i've tried to put some cardboard wedged along the top back of them to make them face down more but it only helped a little if any. i've had a couple people tell me that it can be kinda hard to see. so my question is, has anyone else had this problem, and what should i do to make it more seen

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Several have voiced similar concerns but I havent read of any fixes , I have an 80 led board but havent heard if its hard to see (that doesnt mean it isnt) seems ok to me when I try and check it out with the brake pedal weighted down and a walk back . They make a 124 led board that might suit you better unless thats the one you have. good luck

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
If you read the reviews on all of those type lights, it is the number 1 complaint. It is the nature of an LED to be rather directional. Not sure there is a lot you can do to change the visibility of the light during daytime.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I've tryed them. Did not care for them. The problem is that the L.E.D. are directional unlike a regular buld so theres no reflaction that would fill the tail light housing.

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
You know after rethinking this Im going back to the stock bulb. good luck

·
Registered
2,553 Posts
Phil that did not take very long to go full circle. Sylvania makes an 1157 white that is supposed to out last, out shine, and out play any other bulbs on the market. That is according to Sylvania. I thought about the LED for the rear brake, but after reading the responses on here and product reviews, I scratched that off my list.

Happy New Year to ya.

·
Registered
870 Posts
LED

I too have had the LED board with a smoked lens and went back to the original red lens. I feel it is more important to be seen than look cool. I will be adding the RTB controller this winter for additional lighting in the back. If I feel that is enough, I may go back to "looking cool".8)

Steel

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Same here. I had one and went back to stock. I think on the R/S's it's not as bad, but on a C it's horrible. I have a buddy with a 1800R with the LEDs and you can see it fine.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok, i have a clear lense on mine, and want to go with just a red bulb in there. i went to a couple different auto parts store's and couldn't find them in red. does anyone know the stock bulb number and where i can find it in red?

·
Old Goat
26,217 Posts
Phil that did not take very long to go full circle. Sylvania makes an 1157 white that is supposed to out last, out shine, and out play any other bulbs on the market. That is according to Sylvania. I thought about the LED for the rear brake, but after reading the responses on here and product reviews, I scratched that off my list.

Happy New Year to ya.
Well Ive had it on the bike for over a year and every now and then the OP's question came up and I just assumed mine was ok, but I dont ride with anybody to give me a heads up and I dont ride at night so as I mentioned I thought about it and decided better safe than sorry . have a good one

·
Registered
37 Posts
ok, i have a clear lense on mine, and want to go with just a red bulb in there. i went to a couple different auto parts store's and couldn't find them in red. does anyone know the stock bulb number and where i can find it in red?

I saw them in Sears last week, they had clear, red, and amber.

Chuck

·
Registered
3,267 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
I 've had mine for a few years and was constantly being told it couldn't be seen. My fix was to add the Raptor sissy bar with optional L.E.D. light to act as a second running and brake light.:thumbup:

·
Registered
7,000 Posts
Look into the Tailblazer

I have a Tailblazer brake light.

Read this:

Product Description
BE SAFE! Compared to a typical automobile, motorcycle brake lights are simply too small to attract immediate attention. This is especially true for the cruisers because they are mounted so low to the ground. TailBlazer overcomes this by rapidly flashing the tail lights the instant you apply the brakes. The flash rate then slows down to a steady ON - this cycle lasts about four (4) seconds. This flash pattern is called a Deceleration Warning. The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) suggests that you pump your brakes at each stop. TailBlazer does it automatically, and by flashing both filaments for a maximum brightness. TailBlazer 20W-D SELF MODULATING HALOGEN bulb has a dual contact base. The Modulator is built directly into the base while the element is replaceable. What do they see? As soon as you tap your brakes, drivers behind you will see the brake light(s) modulate rapidly at first then slow down to a solid ON over a period of four (4) seconds.This sudden flashing invokes immediate attention. What will they think? TailBlazer uses a flash pattern which decays exponentially - a well-recognized deceleration warning. The attention to the initial flashing now changes to a clear recognition that you're beginning to slow down! Simply flashing brake lights or flashing them on & off will get the attention of drivers behind you, but it doesn't invoke anything else. Every split second of delay in their reaction reduces your safety margin. The internal circuitry is controlled by a microprocessor. The trigger voltage to begin the deceleration flash pattern when the brakes are applied is set at 12.1V min. Therefore you may need to have the engine running for brake flash to occur reliably. Deceleration flash pattern for the brakes will always be at full intensity. Simply hold the brakes and then turn the ignition on three times quickly. There are two selectable intensities "High" and "Low".

You can buy this from out sponsor here:

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=4627&str=13&ID=279704412

It's an expensive bulb, but the added safety factor is well worth it to me.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I tried a red bulb with clear lense that I got online and it looked real orange when it lit up. Didn't like it at all.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I tried the LED board as well but removed after about three days. It's just plain dangerous IMO. an 1157 type rear LED is about the best I can do at this point with the stock setup.. :cry: :cry:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts