Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been riding for about a year now and I find myself lane splitting more and more. I am always very cautious and deliberate when I do it.

How many of yall can honestly say that you've never done it?

I have heard it's legal in Cali so it can't be all THAT bad.

BTW, I'm talking about on the highway etc. not at lights or stop signs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,824 Posts
FRIORIVERAT said:
I have been riding for about a year now and I find myself lane splitting more and more. I am always very cautious and deliberate when I do it.

How many of yall can honestly say that you've never done it?
I can honestly say I have never done that. I have tripled the legal speed limit (in my state) and passed on a double yellow though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,446 Posts
Used to do that some 20 years ago when I did live in San Diego. I was young and stupid back then and did alot of things I certainly don't do today. Besides, traffic is definately different then it was even 20 years ago. I definately don't lane-split today. You can do what you want. But for me, I'd rather live to ride another day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
995 Posts
Not legal here in Oregon, but I've seen it done in Calif......it would scare the crap outta me personally.

No I've never done it....well on purpose anyway! Hahaha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
457 Posts
2FS4LV said:
FRIORIVERAT said:
I have been riding for about a year now and I find myself lane splitting more and more. I am always very cautious and deliberate when I do it.

How many of yall can honestly say that you've never done it?
I can honestly say I have never done that. I have tripled the legal speed limit (in my state) and passed on a double yellow though.
+1 Never even wanted to.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
I tried to, with my sidecar, but it just didn't work! :cry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only time I do it is when someone is going UNDER the speed limit in the fast lane.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
777 Posts
Nope, never crossed my mind. YouTube gets alot action/intertainment from ya'll.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,537 Posts
Special situations in stopped traffic only. Like torrential rain, haven't moved in an hour and theres an underpass up ahead kind of situations. Now I will admit to speeding making lane changes in gaps barely big enough to fit in between
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,358 Posts
2FS4LV said:
FRIORIVERAT said:
I have been riding for about a year now and I find myself lane splitting more and more. I am always very cautious and deliberate when I do it.

How many of yall can honestly say that you've never done it?
I can honestly say I have never done that. I have tripled the legal speed limit (in my state) and passed on a double yellow though.
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
Wow that's crazy... I've seen people do it when at a stop and I thought that was suicidal enough... all someone had to do was toss out their cigarette, or even open their door to empty a cup and I'd be in trouble. I can't even imagine someone doing this at freeway speeds. We already know you don't wear a helmet, but do you also wear flip-flops and shorts with no shirt when you ride? Sorry if that seems mean, but dude you kind of freak me out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
143 Posts
I live in congested Southern California, so i'm lane splitting any time i take the freeway pretty much. When i actually do it depends on the type of traffic. If it's speeding up and then stopping a few hundred yards ahead, i'll get into a lane during the fast parts and lane split in the slow parts. The ideal situation is when traffic is completely stopped. Even when they're going 5mph, some idiot is guaranteed to notice me coming and squeeze the line to try and keep me from getting by. I usually don't split lanes at all if traffic is moving at least 30mph.

Lane splitting on the freeway is great when there's a carpool lane and everyone is stopped. There's a lot of room when riding the double yellow between the carpool and number 1 lane. There's also less risk of people changing lanes. The only problem is that there's often debris there.

I will occasionally lane split on surface streets, but traffic has got to be pretty much a dead stop. This is much more dangerous on surface streets because of cross traffic. People leave open gaps to let others cars in or to let them cross the street. They can't see you coming, and you can't see them until you're real close.

I'll also creep up to lights if i can when i'm a good ways back. Like 8 or 9 cars back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
756 Posts
I've thought about it, but I've never done it. I guess I like being alive too much...

George
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,097 Posts
Be careful, in some states, like here in Jersey, there are no laws governing "lane-splitting". That is different than saying it is not against the law. In other words there are no laws that specifically prohibit it, however a LEO could view it as careless and hit you with that. Motorcycles are also not prohibited from running two abreast here, the MC cops do it all the time. I split, but mostly between the fast lane and the divider, I know the divider is'nt going anywhere or getting jealous. I will also "roll" to the front of the pile at redlights if there are no driveways or side roads between me and the light. Running through stopped traffic is dicey, be very, very careful, I would not reccomend it. Remember a cop can call just about any unorthodox move "careless" and then it's just you, him, and the Judge.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
BiGDoG96 said:
Wow that's crazy... I've seen people do it when at a stop and I thought that was suicidal enough... all someone had to do was toss out their cigarette, or even open their door to empty a cup and I'd be in trouble. I can't even imagine someone doing this at freeway speeds. We already know you don't wear a helmet, but do you also wear flip-flops and shorts with no shirt when you ride? Sorry if that seems mean, but dude you kind of freak me out.
I usually wear shorts, t-shirt, goggles and right now I'm wearing my new Air Jordan III retros, NOT flip flops. :lol:

BTW, I don't know of many people opening their doors on the freeway. And the way I figure it, people come into my lane when I'm not lane splitting so I treat a lane split just as if I was driving normally.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
FRIORIVERAT said:
I have been riding for about a year now and I find myself lane splitting more and more. I am always very cautious and deliberate when I do it.

How many of yall can honestly say that you've never done it?

I have heard it's legal in Cali so it can't be all THAT bad.

BTW, I'm talking about on the highway etc. not at lights or stop signs.
Nope, would not even attemped, lanes too close. Don't want the cops looking at me anymore then they have too. Anyway, it's illegal here in the state of Texas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,744 Posts
Moekazi said:
I live in congested Southern California, so i'm lane splitting any time i take the freeway pretty much. When i actually do it depends on the type of traffic. If it's speeding up and then stopping a few hundred yards ahead, i'll get into a lane during the fast parts and lane split in the slow parts. The ideal situation is when traffic is completely stopped. Even when they're going 5mph, some idiot is guaranteed to notice me coming and squeeze the line to try and keep me from getting by. I usually don't split lanes at all if traffic is moving at least 30mph.

Lane splitting on the freeway is great when there's a carpool lane and everyone is stopped. There's a lot of room when riding the double yellow between the carpool and number 1 lane. There's also less risk of people changing lanes. The only problem is that there's often debris there.

I will occasionally lane split on surface streets, but traffic has got to be pretty much a dead stop. This is much more dangerous on surface streets because of cross traffic. People leave open gaps to let others cars in or to let them cross the street. They can't see you coming, and you can't see them until you're real close.

I'll also creep up to lights if i can when i'm a good ways back. Like 8 or 9 cars back.
Great post. I gather most people believe it means to ride at normal sppeds between cars; absolutely not so. It is legal here in California only when it is done safely. That usually means cars are traveling 25MPH or less on the freeway -- normally 5-10MPH -- and you cautiously ride the farily wide "lane" between them. If the lanes are tight, or curved or heavily pitted or uneven, I won't do it no matter the circumstances. And yes, every 20 cars or so there's usually somebody who takes umbrage at having to sit in traffic, anticipates you riding past him and will encroach into your lane. If you lane split at slow to moderate speeds, and are seasoned enough to be able to control your bike or ride in a straight line, it's very safe.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
64,344 Posts
Not a chance in hell I would split lanes. Never have, never will even if it was legal. Cars don't see us in the lanes, let alone creeping up beside them between the cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
939 Posts
Never done it, In fact I've never broken any law while riding my "X" :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
67 Posts
I will never, legal or not based on the fact: Many years ago while sitting in traffic I saw a cycle splitting lanes on I95, he was hit in the face with the inside of a Dump truck door that was opened at the last second. The rider was Killed, and the Dump truck driver was in Handcuffs when I left, but who payed the ultimate price?
Way too much road rage out there for me...
 
1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top