Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a recent thread on the forum, I purchased a new Mustang 2 piece seat for my 1300c from a vendor on ebay and saved 12% as well as recieving free shipping.

Is it just me or did anyone else have a hell of a time lining up the bolts on the drivers seat? I had a few choice words as I struggled to get the seat installed. 2 minutes to remove the stock seat and 30 minutes to install the new Mustang.

After finally getting the seat on, I took it for a quick ride. Seat feels great on the back, but I can see that the width of the seat between my legs is going to take some getting used to. Now I have to get some miles on it to break that baby in!

:shock:

As always, here are the pics...

Thanks for looking...

·
Registered
458 Posts
Looks good, When I installed mine, I couldnt get one of the bolts started. I had to remove the seat and run a tap thru the hole to clean out the paint and a burr. Its a good riding seat and well worth the money.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Bought one for a VTX1800F

Same problem mounting front seat. The rear seat slid into the front seat and bolted down to the rear fender at the same spot as the stock rear seat. When the Mustang rear seat was mounted the bolt hole for the rear fender was off by about 3/4 inch. The result was the rear Mustang seat sliding from side to side. I emailed the eBay seller and wanted a RMA number or return instructions. He told me to contact Mustang. I emailed him back and restated my desire for a RMA and refund. I see a charge back via my credit card. He advertised a 14 day return policy so I took him up on it but he is trying to back out. I have bought Mustang seats for a Valkyrie and at least one other bike a few years back but I am disappointed with the quality at this time. I have not had good luck with eBay purchases lately as the last three have been problematic. Maybe it is best to stick with the local dealers.

Anthony
07 VTX1800F2

·
Registered
956 Posts
Looks good on your bike - well worth the effort to get it mounted! :congrats:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had the same problem w/ my drivers seat....but it was well worth the cussing to me, and way more comfortable than the stocker and the wife really appriciated it....

·
Registered
806 Posts
Same problem with new seat, but was broke in soon enough and all is good now,, It helps to have someone sit on the seat the first couple of times to make the pan relax.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Had trouble getting in on the bike, and had trouble everytime I took the seat off to work on the bike until I did the seat pin mod.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Yes, lining up those bolts is a pain. I use 1/4" (not sure what they're called) push bolts - a push knob on one end and a ball on the other. No bolts for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Nice

Seat looks great! Got me thinking..$$ lol. Question....what size windshield do you have on the bike. Just ordered 19" thinking it may be too big. Yours looks good though....hoping it is the same.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yes, sometimes the Mustang's front seat bolts can get a little persnickety. It took mine a little while to seat (no pun intended) -- but I've them now for six years and they still thread perfectly and fasten down the seat!

I'm kind of surprised you didn't also get the driver's backrest at the same time. It's a total godsend for your back and even looks pretty good on the bike. In any event, Mustang, Ultra, whatever -- ENJOY!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lat4wk- I have the 19" quick release.

Blade - Couldn't justify the backrest for nearly $100 more. I am enjoying the support I get just from the passenger seat though...

·
Registered
181 Posts
BTW Gizmo...

Seat looks sweet. I'm sure it will make the long rides better. I'm pretty sick of the stocker myself.

~Jim

·
Registered
703 Posts
+1 :agree: on the seat pin mod. I have that exact same seat setup as you and I had trouble too. So, I decided since I already had the pins but never got around to it, I would just go ahead and do the seat pin mod. Fixed the whole problem in less than 5 min. Do this mod and you'll be good from here on out. No wrenches to remove the seat if you need to get in there quick or easily, just pull two pins and your in like flint!!!

·
Registered
2,664 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Great mod! Pretty sure I'll be doin' that one!

BTW... arebee is right... the die will screw up the paint on the side cover. Have I mentioned that in my Noobness I've mis-thought a few things regarding paint?

Ugh! I guess some lucky painter will be gettin' my biz at some point!

~Jim

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the warning on the key ring. However, after reading a couple other threads on key mods, I checked to make sure the dice were not able to reach the cover. Because of the figure 8 ring design, the dice isn't able to touch any part of the bike.

·
Registered
129 Posts
+1 seat pin mod

+1 on the seat pin mod:thumbup: The seat width does take some getting used to,however not havivg any numb butt after riding makes it worth it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts