Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally found some time to finish the wiring, mounting, and cutting for my new running lights!
Neck covers were painted with my paint match I got from my fender. Cut out two slots in the left cover for the illuminated switches to fit just right.
All the wiring was done for the lights so the forward switch turns on the outer lights which are more cool white, and the back switch turns on the inner lights that are slightly warmer in color.
Here are the results:

switches_mounted.jpg switches_on.jpg litup_right_neck.jpg right_neck.jpg litup_02.jpg

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
That's a nice touch,,, to a very good looking machine!!

·
Registered
12,541 Posts
They look bright! Very bright! Any beam width info?
Can you ride on a 2 lane road w/o blinding oncoming traffic?
Why not a switch on the left grip where you can thumb them? Safety considerations.
>>I went out and checked the reach to the neck covers, not as bad as I imagined<<
I have a mosfet transistor triggered by the high beam to turn on my 8 - 3watt leds to maximum current.
I also have a manual switch for the Hi/Lo function.
A resistor in the Ground line gets shorted for the max bright.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Those look awesome! Congrats. "Let there be light!"

·
Super Moderator
6,963 Posts
If you're not seen they'll be driving while blind, or drunk. Good work :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Nice job well thought out. I like the location of the switches. I have the same Durango red. Where did you get the paint? Is it from a rattle can?

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Very nice. I didn't know those frame covers existed. Great spot for switches that aren't used often. I'd like to see a photo of the lights taken directly in front of the bike. What is the total wattage of the four driving lights?

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Sweet, and great job on the fender!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They look bright! Very bright! Any beam width info?
Can you ride on a 2 lane road w/o blinding oncoming traffic?
Why not a switch on the left grip where you can thumb them? Safety considerations.
>>I went out and checked the reach to the neck covers, not as bad as I imagined<<
I have a mosfet transistor triggered by the high beam to turn on my 8 - 3watt leds to maximum current.
I also have a manual switch for the Hi/Lo function.
A resistor in the Ground line gets shorted for the max bright.
I'll have to get some specs for you, but I'm just now getting over a bad cold I got a week ago - so haven't had it out. I'm sure it's not blinding other drivers because I've taken care to aim them slightly downward straight ahead. If I stand right in front of the slights (more like crouch so my HEAD is in front of the light) it is blindingly bright, but if you're off of center then it's not blinding. They have very tight focal points so they don't spread much, but that can easily be changed with a different lens. I'll get some real measurements, but I"m guessing at 30 feet, you're looking at maybe a 5' spread?
I'd go with a switch on the grip, but because of cost, it was much cheaper to mount them in the neck.
These are advertised as 30W each light, but I've measured current and voltage for each LED and the LED running power consumption is more like 4-5W on high, 2-3W on low.
Do you have some pics of your setup? I'd like to see it!

Nice job well thought out. I like the location of the switches. I have the same Durango red. Where did you get the paint? Is it from a rattle can?
The paint was actually a custom match... took them a dozen tries or so to get close enough. haha I WISH it was in a rattle can!

Very nice. I didn't know those frame covers existed. Great spot for switches that aren't used often. I'd like to see a photo of the lights taken directly in front of the bike. What is the total wattage of the four driving lights?
Thanks! It's actually the stock neck cover, just pulled off, painted, and clear coated. I'll get some more pictures soon, although a picture of straight in front of the lights will be just a big white picture. hahaha
Total 'advertised' wattage is 120W, but pure LED wattage is more like 18.6W under nominal manufacturer conditions (according to Cree's XML datasheet: 3.1V @ 1.5A x4 LEDs).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Some decent pictures of the newly added lights

I didn't write down any specs of spot width, distance, etc... but the pictures pretty much explain themselves.
Starting with the view standing a foot to the left of the gas tank as it's leaned on the kickstand, with just the regular light with a Sylvania.. brighter than the Xtravision, but not the Xtravision Ultra, whichever one that is.
Left side is regular light - Right side is with 4x LED crash bar lights turned on.
driver_lights.jpg
Now the 3/4 view of the same thing.
34_off.jpg 34_on.jpg
Views from the front. From where a person would be sitting in a car, the lights are not overly bright.
Left - Standing head on.
Center - Crouching lower to get in the direct cast of the regular light.
Right - About 10" off the ground to be in the direct beam of the LEDs.
head-on-lights.jpg

I've adjusted the lights to light up almost exactly where the stock headlight shines - it's just a lot brighter. :)
The outer lights light up the middle portion (cool white), and the inner lights shine on the outer spread (slightly warmer white).

And this pic just plain looks cool :)
20151121_175743.jpg

·
Registered
47 Posts
What brand / where did you get the lights? I am assuming they are light assemblies and not something you customized together? Thanks in advance, I drive to work every morning in the dark amongst a bunch of idiots and I'd love to have more light! Have the same style crash bar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What brand / where did you get the lights? I am assuming they are light assemblies and not something you customized together? Thanks in advance, I drive to work every morning in the dark amongst a bunch of idiots and I'd love to have more light! Have the same style crash bar.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
The brand is "Marsing" - just some Chinese ones, but they work great. Here's the link.

They have a few different styles, so look around. Originally, I was honestly going to just get these housings and build my own drivers and use my own LEDs that have been binned together. The problem I run into with dx dot com is that the products you get really are Chinese knockoff quality in some ways. These lights certainly do work, but for example, the housings have some minor scuffs or the threads on two of my four have a small dent in an area... doesn't affect performance or functionality, just things under the hood... oh, and they are advertised as waterproof, but I would not drive these in the rain until you make your own silicone seal on the threads or something. Just stuff you have to do to make it nice, but those things are low cost fixes.

One other thing, one of my lights came with a different size of bolts, so I just ran over to Home Depot and got some stainless steel hex crown bolts to match the other ones. The colors on mine are kind off and with the other blemishes, I wrote an email to dx.com and was able to get one of them for free, and $10 on two others, so in total, I spent $40 on these 4 lights. WELL worth my trouble and time going through the Chinese knockoff route to get these lights. They function great once you get them all set up!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts