Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to paint the engine but since I have tons of chrome I didn't want to polish the fins.....plus I'm lazy! Really I wanted the blacked out look but wanted Gloss black to match the paint. I went with a few coats of VHT satin black paint then topped it off with the VHT clear gloss for some depth and the gloss finish.

2 cans satin black and one can clear gloss - $3.98 each at the local speed shop!

Before Paint

Stripped her down and taped everything off!

Top fins ready to go....that is not stock grey between the fins...it is the reflection of the clear gloss over the black in the flash!

Un-taped and ready to re-assemble....looks wet in person...bad pic

Left side done...

Right side done....

running and curing the paint...

You guys like pics right? Actually it looks wet and glossy in person. It went on really smooth and the clear added the shine and depth to go with the paint on the tins.

I do want to say I had some help on this project. My fiance' was a little leary of me ripping the bike apart and painting the engine. She wasn't worried about my abilities but she couldn't envision it ending up like it did. She hung out on the lazy boy in the garage (yeah....in the garage!) reading while I tore it down and taped. She was inside when I shot the paint but saw it last night once finished and drying and got exited about it. This morning, once it was dry, she was in the garage when I started and was helping re-assemble excited to see the final outcome. I don't mean handing me tools....she was hanging exhaust and actually helping! Reminds me why I'm marrying her!

·
Registered
8,223 Posts
That's gonna hurt somebody ...

Very nice job!

Keep us posted as to the "wear" and effects of heat and miles...

Again...

Very nice!

opinions vary...

all blessings...

crew

:crew:

·
Registered
14,249 Posts
Very sweet. That looks so much better than grey. Where are you located? I'd love to see that in person.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in Clearlake....not too far. Thanks!
I'll post a better before and after once I can wash it and get a pic in the sun. Have to ride it now to bake the paint on and cure it :wink:

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
txvtx1300 said:
I'm in Clearlake....not too far. Thanks!
I'll post a better before and after once I can wash it and get a pic in the sun. Have to ride it now to bake the paint on and cure it :wink:
You haven't made it to any of our meets have you?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope....tried to go wed since it was close but got off work late. When are you meeting next....I noticed you site was down?

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
We meet every wed at different places. We've been meeting for about a year now. 8) We'll post the next place tonight or tomorrow.

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
Looks good man

·
Mad Hatter
21,317 Posts
"WOW" Great Job!!!!! How Long did it take U????

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took about 2 hours to strip down the bike (tank, seat, hypercharger, pipes, top fins, 2 engine covers, side covers spark plug covers, etc) and tape everything else off.
About an hour to put on all of the coats of black and clear.
Let it dry overnight.
About an hour to put it back together.
Plus several hours of riding to heat it up and cure the paint :wink: !
About 4 hours really minus drying time. Tape is what takes the longest but makes all of the difference.
Thanks for the compliment....I'm happy with the results!

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So where is the Houston gang meeting this week? If the weather holds and I can get out of work at a decent hour I'll try to make it it you'll have me.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Looks really great.... added to the look of the bike!

BTW, where did you get the paint?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I called the manufacturer PJH at 480-991-8420 and hit 0 till a human picked up. I asked for distributors in my area and they pointed me to a performance shop about five miles away. I didn't want to wait to order online and pay for shipping. I paid $3.98 per can and I see them from $6-$11 per can online then shipping costs and waiting. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the VHT coatings. Hey...they used it on the space shuttle so I guess it is good enough for the X!

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just finished painting my engine also, I used a low gloss black and polished the fins. It really makes the rest of the chrome stand out more, and it also makes the look of the bike flow more. I think.

·
Registered
758 Posts
xsponge said:
I just finished painting my engine also, I used a low gloss black and polished the fins. It really makes the rest of the chrome stand out more, and it also makes the look of the bike flow more. I think.

Xsponge,
What did you use to polish the fins? I started with different grades of files but it was etching really bad and I figured it would take forever to polish them. I went over them with a dremel and it cleaned them up considerably(don't forget to wear a good partical mask) but I still have to wetsand. I was going to go 180, 320, 600, 1000 then polish with rouge. Does this sound OK?

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I just finished painting my engine also, I used a low gloss black and polished the fins.
When you say low gloss do you mean satin? Looks good...Are you guys doing the fins yourself? Is there a reason behind that are do you not want to give up the $100 to get it done? Seems like alot of time I'd pay to keep!
I did't go with the fins b/c honda and harley both do that at the factory and I wanted something different. It is a good look though!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts