Honda VTX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I've had a leaking left fork on my 02 1800s for a few weeks or so now and haven't had time to get it fixed. I was going to go see my brother tomorrow who lives 160 miles away. I thought I would be a good first long ride for me on the vtx, but wanted to get your opinion on whether there was any right in riding it so far with a leaking fork. If I had to guess I'd say it's lost a shy ounce of oil just from sitting this week.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Pardon my asking.....but, as God, aren't you able to do whatever you want?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pardon my asking.....but, as God, aren't you able to do whatever you want?
Yes I can do whatever I want. However, wisdom shows that real men seldom do what they want. They do what must be done.

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I was speaking of a divine being, not real men. Or are you a false god? (small g) edit: Not looking to stir sh## up with you or anyone else, but since you egotistically chose that screen name, you absolutely are going to catch sh## from some of us.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Hi everyone. I've had a leaking left fork on my 02 1800s for a few weeks or so now and haven't had time to get it fixed. I was going to go see my brother tomorrow who lives 160 miles away. I thought I would be a good first long ride for me on the vtx, but wanted to get your opinion on whether there was any right in riding it so far with a leaking fork. If I had to guess I'd say it's lost a shy ounce of oil just from sitting this week.
Fork oil on your front brake rotor is dangerous (and doesn't look good on your pants and boots).

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I don't think this is a problem if it is a small leak but beware of the devil on the road….:evil:

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
Just nod your head and make it so.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My left one started leaking and I added 1 oz of this. I use this under the hood to spray on plastic parts and hoses (I put it in a spray bottle) and it really preserves things. I've had it seal up axle seal leaks and all kinds of stuff. It stopped the leak almost immediately on my left fork tube.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223598659256

Hopefully this link I posted will work. Anyway, you can find it on eBay.
Use a shop manual to describe how to remove the top cap end get an ounce in there. After putting an ounce in and securing the top cap I just pushed up and down about 15 to 20 times on the front shocks, then took it for a ride and problem solved. 😎

Attachments

·
Registered
6,004 Posts
I thought gwad was dawg backwards. WhatdoIknow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fork oil, leaking onto brake rotors and pads, not a great idea. Fix the seal, get a Seal Mate tool and try to wipe the seal clean of debris.
that's what I was noticing, I just put the pads on too so it would be a shame if they got contaminated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was speaking of a divine being, not real men. Or are you a false god? (small g) edit: Not looking to stir sh## up with you or anyone else, but since you egotistically chose that screen name, you absolutely are going to catch sh## from some of us.
haha yes I knew this name was trouble when I made my account. And I don't suit your standard model of the judeo-christian God but I think that goes without saying; then again flat Earth theorists are still a thing so maybe the obvious still needs to be said. But I am a god of sorts. We all are if you think about it. Though, on the Technical forum id like to keep the posts relevant to the topic. As these posts are here not only to benefit the OP(me) but also for all current and future Vtx riders that may have a similar question.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
My left one started leaking and I added 1 oz of this. I use this under the hood to spray on plastic parts and hoses (I put it in a spray bottle) and it really preserves things. I've had it seal up axle seal leaks and all kinds of stuff. It stopped the leak almost immediately on my left fork tube.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/223598659256

Use a shop manual to describe how to remove the top cap end get an ounce in there. After putting an ounce in and securing the top cap I just pushed up and down about 15 to 20 times on the front shocks, then took it for a ride and problem solved. 😎
That seems like something that might work, but seeing as how I needed my bike the next day it won't work in my case. I've had luck with other forms of "oil stabilizers" in the past. I appreciate your response, few people have the wherewithal to write a coherent response, let alone post links to boot! Thanks

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
its stuff like this..... why I do not reply to questions any more.

retired Honda dealer motorcycle mechanic.

Ride Safe, Ride Often.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That seems like something that might work, but seeing as how I needed my bike the next day it won't work in my case. I've had luck with other forms of "oil stabilizers" in the past. I appreciate your response, few people have the wherewithal to write a coherent response, let alone post links to boot! Thanks
👍🍻

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.