Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed the front shock on the right side, sitting on the bike, had leaked fluid on the tire rim and brakes. When I bounced up and down on the bike the top plunger come out coated with fluid. Help with how does this need to be repaired or does the shock need replacing. 43,000 miles on the bike. 2007 1300c. Not a mechanic but will have to take it to a shop. Just want to know where I stand. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help. Richard

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
The front shocks are called forks. You don't replace them you rebuild them. Seals and bushings are changed and fluid is replaced. Just did mine @36,000 miles. If you know how to use wrenches you can DIY. If not better take it to a shop. Front brakes are involved. Makes it ride like a new bike.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I noticed the front shock on the right side, sitting on the bike, had leaked fluid on the tire rim and brakes. When I bounced up and down on the bike the top plunger come out coated with fluid. Help with how does this need to be repaired or does the shock need replacing. 43,000 miles on the bike. 2007 1300c. Not a mechanic but will have to take it to a shop. Just want to know where I stand. Thanks in advance for any suggestions or help. Richard
Get them done for next to nothing but parts cost at a tech session. HawkVTX has hosted one the last couple years in late spring in Scottsboro Ala. The bike'll get you that far. PM him. He's a good guy.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have the same issue. Leaking is not a lot, just a couple of drops. What I do get is an annoying NOISE from the left fork. It's a clicking noise metal on metal. I'm almost certain my previous mechanic didn't install the forks back correctly. So I'm going to have the forks torn part and go piece by piece to put everything correctly.

Could be the rubber dust seal.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
I have the same issue. Leaking is not a lot, just a couple of drops. What I do get is an annoying NOISE from the left fork. It's a clicking noise metal on metal. I'm almost certain my previous mechanic didn't install the forks back correctly. So I'm going to have the forks torn part and go piece by piece to put everything correctly.

Could be the rubber dust seal.
13 or 18? The 18s forks are bit more complex than the 13s, not bad, just a bit different (inverted and asymmetrical). In either case, if you are hearing a clicking noise over all the other noise of running down the road, I doubt it's the dust seal. Even if you are just hearing the clicking pushing it around the garage, don't see how it be the dust seal. I would look into it before going to far on the bike.

·
Registered
372 Posts
13 or 18? The 18s forks are bit more complex than the 13s, not bad, just a bit different (inverted and asymmetrical). In either case, if you are hearing a clicking noise over all the other noise of running down the road, I doubt it's the dust seal. Even if you are just hearing the clicking pushing it around the garage, don't see how it be the dust seal. I would look into it before going to far on the bike.
Bike is VTX 1300 Spokes.

I'm sure it's the left fork leg and it's something in there not tight enough/loose/damaged. Whether it's the dust seal or the washers in there. My Clyme manual states lots of pieces go inside there and 100% sure the forks weren't re-installed correctly by previous mechanic.

I've used a rubber hammer to hit everything on the front. The left fork leg at the bottom of the fork cover clunks badly and vibrates when hit with rubber hammer, while the right fork doesn't do that and is solid. When pushing front of bike up and down, a click noise is heard. This same clicking noise only occurs when going over potholes and bumps. I also get a very annoying metallic noise coming from the front at high RPMs which I'm almost positive is whatever is loose on the left fork (I've check many other possible sources of noises too).

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Bike is VTX 1300 Spokes.

I'm sure it's the left fork leg and it's something in there not tight enough/loose/damaged. Whether it's the dust seal or the washers in there. My Clyme manual states lots of pieces go inside there and 100% sure the forks weren't re-installed correctly by previous mechanic.

I've used a rubber hammer to hit everything on the front. The left fork leg at the bottom of the fork cover clunks badly and vibrates when hit with rubber hammer, while the right fork doesn't do that and is solid. When pushing front of bike up and down, a click noise is heard. This same clicking noise only occurs when going over potholes and bumps. I also get a very annoying metallic noise coming from the front at high RPMs which I'm almost positive is whatever is loose on the left fork (I've check many other possible sources of noises too).
There is a nylon bushing at the base of the fork cover that stops what you are referring to. It is about 1" up inside the cover. it may be gone. Not much holds it in place. Mine came loose and slid down. That's when I found out the PO had tried to glue it in place.

·
Registered
372 Posts
There is a nylon bushing at the base of the fork cover that stops what you are referring to. It is about 1" up inside the cover. it may be gone. Not much holds it in place. Mine came loose and slid down. That's when I found out the PO had tried to glue it in place.
Thanks. Were you also getting vibrating noises or clicking noises coming from the front because of the nylon bushing being loose in the fork cover?

Also how did you fix it? Did you simply put the bushing back in place and it was all fine then?

As said, I get an annoying vibrating noise on the front and I've fixed the headlight rattle (speedo has leather tank bib). I'm almost certain is one of the many internal pieces on the left fork being loose and rattling with high RPMs.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had my front fork seals replaced about 18 months ago. I could have done it myself but knew it would take me all weekend to do so. I have a local shop that does great work so I took it there to get it done. They did it in one afternoon and ran me about $500.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts