Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 VTX 1300C and after only 2 weeks ownership I've been hit with the VTX leaky diaphragm / fuel valve issue. When running it slowly drip gas out from between where the two halves of the assembly meet (they're riveted together in four places -- i.e., a non-serviceable assembly). I FedEx'd a new assembly to the local shop but they can't get to it yet.

So my question is: Can I use JB Weld (or similar) to completely seal the outside joint where the two halves of the assembly fit together? If I only seal along the bottom joint area it'll just build up and leak higher up. So my thought is to seal all around where the two pieces join. I'm just not much of a mechanic (yet!) and don't know if that's a reasonably safe solution for a couple days. It may stop the leak, but I don't know enough to know if I could be causing myself even more problems.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

PS: I called Honda and explained about the VTX petcock recall, but since it stopped just shy of my model year they won't help me a bit. Sounds like the same design problem if you ask me.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Can't help you much...but I grew up in San Jose. Only about an hour away now. Maybe we can meet up for a ride one day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure the nut isn't just loose and dripping down the seam?
Hi Donnie,

Thanks for the reply. I hope I've diagnosed it correctly. I wiped the entire petcock assembly dry while it was running and I look very carefully to see where the leak was originating from. Nothing was leaking from up by the tank nor anywhere else on the petcock assembly... the drop was clearly forming from between the seams of part #5 in this diagram: http://tinyurl.com/m37uyre

That part was about 1/3 the cost of ordering an entirely new petcock assembly. I just hope I ordered the right part or it'll be sitting at my mechanic's longer than I want :mad:

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Hi Donnie,

Thanks for the reply. I hope I've diagnosed it correctly. I wiped the entire petcock assembly dry while it was running and I look very carefully to see where the leak was originating from. Nothing was leaking from up by the tank nor anywhere else on the petcock assembly... the drop was clearly forming from between the seams of part #5 in this diagram: http://tinyurl.com/m37uyre

That part was about 1/3 the cost of ordering an entirely new petcock assembly. I just hope I ordered the right part or it'll be sitting at my mechanic's longer than I want :mad:
OK - part #5 is screwed (not riveted) to the back of the petcock. You just may need to tighten it.
What you do it turn the gas off, remove the fuel line (Have a rag ready to catch the small amount of fuel that will come from the hose) and vacuum hose. Loosen the big nut at the top slightly, and turn the whole assembly 180 degrees so its facing you. tighten the 4 screws or replace the part. Very easy.

I wouldn't use JB weld on it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This is the PN# used during the recall.

While there is no "offical" rebuild kit.. this is essentially it.

16953-KEA-023

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is the PN# used during the recall.16953-KEA-023
That's what I was seeing online... that the original part was replaced with this one, right?

I still think it must be a wonky design and I wish Honda would just own up to it an repair it for free wherever/whenever it was used in any bike of any year.

UPDATE: The part came in early, and my mechanic squeezed me in today and got it done same-day. Yup, it was exactly the part that I suspected was the problem; bad diaphragm confirmed by the mechanic. The overnight shipping was more than the part, but more importantly I'm back on the road! :doorag:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't help you much...but I grew up in San Jose. Only about an hour away now. Maybe we can meet up for a ride one day.
Hey, mike4sho! If you're up this way do let me know. I'm working crazy hours these days and don't have time for a nice ride south; I'd love to hit Monterey and the coast on my VTX, but alas it'll be a while.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts