Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13,364 Posts
Brake switch activates the light bulb or led.
Get a good led.. Some are terrible. You want equal or brighter.
Some have a panel of leds on them. Some have high power leds.
TS have thermal flashers, current matters.
Electronic flashers can do zero to 6 or more bulbs.

Reactions: mickeyrx70

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
No problem replacing the incandescent with LED.
Absolutely agree with Hans on the brightness. That is for safety, no joke. It might look bright in the garage but not bright enough outside in sunlight. So get the right LED. I know I tried 3 before I found a bright-enough one. The others were just cheap Chinese knock-off LEDs that looked good indoors but were insufficient for the road.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brake switch activates the light bulb or led.
Get a good led.. Some are terrible. You want equal or brighter.
Some have a panel of leds on them. Some have high power leds.
TS have thermal flashers, current matters.
Electronic flashers can do zero to 6 or more bulbs.
No problem replacing the incandescent with LED.
Absolutely agree with Hans on the brightness. That is for safety, no joke. It might look bright in the garage but not bright enough outside in sunlight. So get the right LED. I know I tried 3 before I found a bright-enough one. The others were just cheap Chinese knock-off LEDs that looked good indoors but were insufficient for the road.
———
Thanks! The LEDs should arrive tomorrow from Amazon … according to reviews (many from bikers) they’re very bright. Don’t do any night riding anymore, just wanted a more visible daytime brake/taillight.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A prior owner installed aftermarket clear-lens rear turn signals with red LEDs. Didn’t care for the look or the hyper flash. I returned it to stock lens and bulbs years ago and haven’t thought about going back to LEDs until now. Might give it a go.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
———
Thanks! The LEDs should arrive tomorrow from Amazon … according to reviews (many from bikers) they’re very bright. Don’t do any night riding anymore, just wanted a more visible daytime brake/taillight.
You could have used a 2357 incandescent bulb, I've used one for a number of years now. Brighter than 1157 by maybe 10-15%, IDK. Maybe more.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
A prior owner installed aftermarket clear-lens rear turn signals with red LEDs. Didn’t care for the look or the hyper flash. I returned it to stock lens and bulbs years ago and haven’t thought about going back to LEDs until now. Might give it a go.
You needed to read more. There are 2 ways to eliminate the hyper flash with LED T/S. One is a simple replacement of the stock flasher with a zero load electronic flasher available at any auto parts store. The other is a 'kit' that involves wiring more resistance and a heat sink into the T/S circuit to slow the flashers down. It's not expensive either. I recently had a shorting-out issue with my Kury R-T-B unit. A mechanic friend rewired it so it was rideable, but in so doing, he eliminated the R-B function from the T/S. As I'd already changed the stock bulbs to LED, I then had the hyper flash rate. I had him wire the resistance kit in, and it's now flashing more like normal.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
Just installed the 1157 iBrightStar LED brake light. It works great & is MUCH brighter than the stock bulb. I’m satisfied. FYI, the incandescent 2357 bulb brake element is brighter than the 1157 … 40 lumens v 32 lumens, but has a shorter life. It‘s a good option too.
Yes, it's supposed to have a shorter life than a standard 1157, but as mentioned, I've had mine for 4 or 5 years now, although I don't put that many miles on her any more. She's a great garage queen though. Usually the bulbs are sold as a 2 pack, so you'd have a spare anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts