Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Kury front and Rear LED turn signals. I have an 03 C model so I have put load equlizers on both the front and the rear and also done Bare's diode fix. Here is the deal. The backs work great. The fronts are still getting bleed over. Basically if the left is suppose to flash the right flashes alittle too. It is worse when the engine is running than when just off the battery. I have replaced the front load equilizer and replaced the diodes and it has not fixed the problem. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
firefighter841 said:
I have Kury front and Rear LED turn signals. I have an 03 C model so I have put load equlizers on both the front and the rear and also done Bare's diode fix. Here is the deal. The backs work great. The fronts are still getting bleed over. Basically if the left is suppose to flash the right flashes alittle too. It is worse when the engine is running than when just off the battery. I have replaced the front load equilizer and replaced the diodes and it has not fixed the problem. Any suggestion?
Hopefully Bare will chime in here because I don't know what his diode fix is. Did he specify a certain kind of diode? Like Schottky? Some diodes clamp better than others.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Unplug the cable connector going to the dash panel ( the brown one if I remember correctly). If the turn signals work correctly with it unplugged then the problem is with the diode/dash wiring.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
I am not familiar with the Kuryakyn product.

I wonder if the Kuryakyn LED units in front are meant to work
like a dual filament (1157) bulb?
In other words, is there a dim function (marker light)
as well as a bright function (turn signal)?

You are asking a smart question when you ask could this be a ground
problem.

When you activate a turn signal, you are providing
a ground to the turn signal blinker relay thru the bulbs (or LEDs)
and the selector switch. The blinker relay gets it's power from
Fuse C thru the white/green wire.

The marker lights get their power from Fuse B thru the Black/Brown wire
and the selector switch.
The Black/Brown wire also provides power to the taillight, the instrument lights, and the vehicle speed sensor.

You may be getting some feedback into the turn signal on the wrong side
because of corrosion on a ground or a bad connection elsewhere.

If you don't already have one, you are going to want to pick up
a volt/ohm meter at your local auto shop or Radio Shack.
Alternately, you can use a test light to help find the problem.

Although the chassis of motorcycles are grounded, the forks sometimes
don't get a good ground because of the way they are connected to the
chassis via the tripleclamps and bearings. That is why the
stock turnsignals are grounded to the green wire in the wiring harness
instead of the chassis.
But often, lightbars have their spotlights grounded thru the forks to the chassis.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
I've been super busy and not on here much the last week, just getting to reply...

I would try what has been recommended, unhook on thing at a time and see where the bleed through is coming from. Sometimes, depending on the types of LED's you run this still happens even when you have all the right parts. It can't be a feedback through ground problem though, LED's only light from power in one direction.

Trace it out one part at a time and see if you get rid of the problem. I have seen a handful of load EQ's cause this same problem as well. :wink:

·
Registered
278 Posts
Does the "problem" side move over if you swap the source leads? This might help at least to isolate the problem. Since you stated it was working (not sure how long) a ground issue seems likely.

I know lots of people run load equalizers with no problem, but I've not personally been a fan of them. There seem to be lots of posts from users that are frustrated and/or have worked fine but now don't.

This is especially true when the environment is hostile, including such factors as high vibration and/or a corrosive atmosphere. (Motorcycle? Vibrate? :)

I opted for, in my humble opinion, for the much easier route of installing the solid state blinker (Bare's site). No cutting, soldering (ok a little on the plug), just plug it in the stock blinker location. It has the added advantage of reducing the current draw too.

Good luck...

Russ

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
When the lights run as normal running lights they work fine. Does not matter which direction, left or right, when you activate the turn signal the other flashes intermitant of the one that is suppose to be flasshing. The one that is suppose to be flashing, flahes properly. I have changed out the load equilizer for a new one. No change at all. The only thing odd is that when I activate a turn signal when the bike is on battery only (engine not running) the intermitant flash is so weak you have to hold your hand over the light to notice it. But crank the bike and the itermitant flash is brighter. These are the Kury Bullet LED's that are desinged to be front turn signals. So they are desinged to work as running and turn signal lights.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Try disconnecting the running lights and see if there is a problem. It may be the source of the power bleed.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think you misunderstood. They are amber running lights and also the turn signals. They are one in the same. Basically I just replaced the stock incadescent front turn signals and repalced them with Kury LED turn signals.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Actually, they use a pair of diodes and a resistor to achieve the dual element bulb effect with LED's. If you had a bad diode on the circuit board, it could cause the symptoms you mentioned. Disconnecting the running light circuit would confirm that.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But both sides do it. It does not matter if you activate the left or right turn signal the opposite side will intermitantly flash. And it flashes brighter with the engine running than when just on battery power.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
firefighter841 said:
But both sides do it. It does not matter if you activate the left or right turn signal the opposite side will intermitantly flash. And it flashes brighter with the engine running than when just on battery power.
With the bike off you're getting about 12ish volts or so, with the bike running you're getting about 14ish volts - the alternator ups the voltage to help with charging and such. This is why the problem differs between the 2 situations.

As for the rest... I have seen and dealt with this on a SMALL handful of other bikes running Kury blinkers in the front as well. I have never been able to fix the problem or find the solution with the help of the other guys writing me with the problem. The closest I ever came to solving it the guy wrecked the bike before we could solve it. We've called Kury direct, they've replaced the lights, still have the same problem.

I understand what you're saying now more than before, your problem isn't "bleeding" from one side to the other, it's that the opposite side blinks (lightly) OPPOSITE the other side. To clear up that vagueness... When you turn on the right blinker and it goes ON you're fine, but when it flashes OFF the left side blinker lights dimly correct? And vice-versa?
That's exactly what I've seen in the past...

Here is a solution I never tried back in the past when facing this because at the time I was always under the impression that it was a problem with the Kury lights themselves. As was mentioned, if there is a small part not functioning on the Kury light then this will happen - BUT I don't think that's your problem... Get into the turn signal switch on the left clamshell and clean the switch thoroughly. I suspect that may be part of the culprit here...

Please report back your findings and let us know, as I said I've dealt with this maybe a half-dozen times with no resolution - it bothers me and I'd like to figure it out. :wink:

G

·
0 Posts
feedback on feedback proublem

i dont know how your lights are mounted but i know on my 2004 vtx c the area of the front fork that the stk, lights front lights mount too is not ! grounded there must be plastic between triple trees and tubes .i had to tie into the ground circuit and make a ground for my bullets that i installed. make sure that you havent gotton the ground wire and the run wires crossed.. also good luck :roll:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts