Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey has anyone installed thos led strip like turn signals on the rear of their bike? and how do you like them? -- where did you install them? lets see it!

thanks !
hunt

·
Registered
160 Posts
I recently put them on my bike. Be prepared to do some surgery on your rear fender to install them. They look great, I went with the smoke lenses, which turned out to be not very bright during the day.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently put them on my bike. Be prepared to do some surgery on your rear fender to install them. They look great, I went with the smoke lenses, which turned out to be not very bright during the day.
wow miike, i could hardley tell where they were!-- so would you go with clear if you were doing it again? where did you get your strip?-- ohh the bike is sweet!

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
If you live in a corner of the world that requires inspections, be prepared to fail, as those aren't legal.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just dunno how "law abiding" you are.

They are hot. . though not being able to be seen by day would be a huge drawback for me. I dont' need to give R-tards more of a reason to try and hit me. LOL.

Good luck with the project!

·
Registered
160 Posts
If you live in a corner of the world that requires inspections, be prepared to fail, as those aren't legal.

Not trying to talk you out of it, just dunno how "law abiding" you are.

They are hot. . though not being able to be seen by day would be a huge drawback for me. I dont' need to give R-tards more of a reason to try and hit me. LOL.

Good luck with the project!
Fortunately for me I live in backwards A$$ Alabama, they don't do inspections here. You can see them during the day, just not a good as I would like.

·
Seasoned Member
8,334 Posts
Fortunately for me I live in backwards A$$ Alabama, they don't do inspections here. You can see them during the day, just not a good as I would like.
:thumbup:

I had some stuff from clear alternatives and signal dynamics, it was so horrible I swapped back to stock stuff. Anyone I rode with said they couldn't see me slowing down or turning during the day. nojoke

·
Registered
160 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
You will also need to replace your turn signal relay, for 2 reasons, they will blink too fast and not be as bright

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Smitt <<< uses left arm. Smitt

·
Registered
230 Posts
MBW VTX 1300 C rear led turn signals

I bought and installed the same MBW LED rear fender turn signal arrays that MikeG1 has this winter.....I think they are super bright, easy to see in the daylight....BUT.....

I live in Idaho, which is sort of "Alabama of the Northwest"...this state doesn't require a helmet (if over 18), doesn't require turn signals, only one mirror and motorcycle do not require any safety checks, even when you license them.......

BUT back to these cool turn signals....when I bought my 2007 VTX 1300 C last year...which is white also....the previous owner has taken a dremel tool to the complete rear fender mount for the stock turn singal and license plate assembly.....everything was gone, which in this state is ok, since your arms are the only required signals needed anyways....

I did use the my arms last summer, but I'm old and lazy and retired...so I wanted to find a way to install some signals without drilling holes in the rear fender for normal signals....then I saw these puppies...WELL...

The hard work was done...cutting all the stock hardware and mounts from the underside of the rear fender without screwing up the paint, etc...so I sprung for these MBW strip LED units...manufactured specifically for the VTX 1300 C fender...a perfect fit I might add...

I ordered the clear with amber LEDs, because I've had the smoke lens stuff..and they are not very bright....if someone wants the amber LEDs to be seen, why in the world would you put sunglasses over the bulbs?? Looks cool, I guess..

mine have 60 LEDs on each side of the fender, about 1mm apart and they are bright and easy to see...they wrap around each side of the fender line to be seen from the side and the rear....

go to MBW.com website or the radiantz.com website and check em out..if you need more information about them ...email me....Steve

·
Registered
823 Posts
Tail - Stop LEDS

I put 24 LEDs 12 in each turn signal. They are Tail - Stop & Turn like they should have been all along.
Purchased a kit for $20 - Let me know if you want info.

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I put 24 LEDs 12 in each turn signal. They are Tail - Stop & Turn like they should have been all along.

thanks guys for your help on this. Pa does not require turn signals either. They must feel your arm is sufficient. My rear plate and signals holder has also been removed and it really cleans up the look of the bike. I installed some cheap filament micro turn signals which i got from ebay but they arent bright enuf for me so started looking for new ones. thats when i saw this strip design. My bike is black and those smoke ones would look good on the fender,, but i think i might just go the clear route for fear I'll be right back to them not being bright enuf.. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
665 Posts
i have them on my 1800 c. i purchased them from autozone. they ar the 24 inch ones for 19.99. I have them as running lights and all of them are tied into my turn signal. i have a set of amber on my fairing, side of the tank and alone the rear fender. i have red ones on the hump of the rear fender and around the edge of my saddle bags. i live in west virginia and have not had a problem with it passing inspeciton. my first reason for installing them was for visibility, due to i leave at o dark 30 and return home right at sunset. i have had 5 messages sent to me in the pass two weeks asking how they are installed. i will be attending more leds just to light up the engine area.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/Depth-Checker/utf-8Bcm9hZGNsb3NlMS5qcGc-1.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/Depth-Checker/utf-8Bcm9hZCBjbG9zZSAyLmpwZw-1.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/Depth-Checker/utf-8BcnVubmluZyBsaWdodC5qcGc.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is that 24" all one strip? Id think that would be too large for the rear fender, but it sure sounds like you're lighting it up!

·
Registered
38 Posts
i have them on my 1800 c. i purchased them from autozone. they ar the 24 inch ones for 19.99. I have them as running lights and all of them are tied into my turn signal. i have a set of amber on my fairing, side of the tank and alone the rear fender. i have red ones on the hump of the rear fender and around the edge of my saddle bags. i live in west virginia and have not had a problem with it passing inspeciton. my first reason for installing them was for visibility, due to i leave at o dark 30 and return home right at sunset. i have had 5 messages sent to me in the pass two weeks asking how they are installed. i will be attending more leds just to light up the engine area.

http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/Depth-Checker/utf-8Bcm9hZGNsb3NlMS5qcGc-1.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/Depth-Checker/utf-8Bcm9hZCBjbG9zZSAyLmpwZw-1.jpg
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x124/Depth-Checker/utf-8BcnVubmluZyBsaWdodC5qcGc.jpg

Thats a good look. Whats the setup...slice into the existing wires, etc. I'm thinking about running them straight to the battery with an inline fuse with a switch.

·
Registered
118 Posts
light

hello could you give me the info on adding the led to taillight and brake? thanks

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
hey has anyone installed thos led strip like turn signals on the rear of their bike? and how do you like them? -- where did you install them? lets see it!

thanks !
hunt

I picked up the sidewinder flexible LEDs from cuctom dynamics. Fiberglassed them from underneath. When painting the fender i put just one coat of paint on the LED's. jsut enough for them to blend into the fender, but enough so you can see them lit up when the brakes are applied. Good luck with your decision make sure you post some pictures if you do go this route

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts