Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys - I'm brand new so I'm not sure this is exactly the right forum but here's my story. I'm turning 30, I haven't had a bike in about 5 years, my wife and I just had twin boys 5 months ago and she decided it was time for me to get another bike because our business did really well last year. I found a really nice used 03 vtx1800c at a local dealer and I just finished the paperwork. :)

Now I'm thinking about a few light mods to start and first thing I want to do is get rid of the plate bracket and relocate it to the side. I've been browsing the forums here and I've seen some references to the radiantz LED light replacement. I've also seen some people say it has integrated signals. I looked on google but I can only find the boards that are just for stopping. Does anyone know where I can find an LED 3-in-1 replacement for the back so I can remove the directions and plate? Also, I was just going to fab something up but are there any good plate relocation kits available?

Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
63,884 Posts
First, go find out what the laws are in your state. From what I hear Connecticut has a yearly inspection so if you move the plate and turn signals you better make that legal for your state. From what I just read, you can not move or remove your OEM turn signals.

·
Banned
6,649 Posts
So that's why they call it Corrupticut

·
Registered
7,897 Posts
Before you do that....

Make sure your '03 is up to snuff all the way around- maintenance of everything. Tires more than 4 or 5 years old are getting hard and dry rotting. All fluids go bad as much from sitting as overuse: Clutch and brake fluid, final drive oil and moly-lube the splines, non-silicate coolant, fork oil. '03 needs checked for bad ground points (clean), and the fuel pressure regulators have a lot of issues from sitting long. Less than $40 for a new FPR. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. Lots of great knowledgable folks here to answer all your questions and help you spend money you may not have.:thumbup:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. Lots of great knowledgable folks here to answer all your questions and help you spend money you may not have.:thumbup:
Fran -- I happen to notice you did not share any info about VTX1800's optional :bowdown: Warp Speed upgrade.............:lol:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I'm new to the forums too and I just had twin girl 5 months ago lol I feel your pain!! That is why my lady let me buy one 2 days ago. I know you can find the led 3in1 on ebay cuz I was looking to get rid of that bracket as well. But sense it is ebay the quality might now be great

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I definitely have a lot to think about with this. I'm not too sure about our local laws for inspection but around here, if you don't inspect your bike, they really don't bother you about it. They care much more about passenger vehicles than anything else.

I found one on Amazon I might take a shot with and see what it's all about. It's not a dire necessity but definitely something I'm considering because I like the look. The bike I bought has V&H long shots, an intake, a power commander and it's lowered. It's got brand new tires and the dealership just went through it and changed all the fluids for me. It also has the drag bars on the front which I think I like.

The other thing I was thinking about getting was bags. I see there are brackets all over the place for $70-$100 so they don't rub on the tires. They seem easy enough to make and I have a friend with a shop. Any reason I you know of I should buy them instead of making a set of my own?

Thanks again for all the feedback :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
those radiant tailight with all those LED lights weather they have integrated signals or not, are great at night and if at the perfect angle and I mean perfect they can be seen during the day too. but that perfect angle just does not happen to people following you weather in a cage or on a bike. for safety reasons I would not use it. I know this because I had it with a clear lense.I still have the clear lense but put the original reflector back in with a super bright LED.vast improvement still not as I wanted so ended up getting motolights that went behind the licens frame 2 billets w/run/turn/brake and bright as all get out.good luck with your choice and welcome to the board

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hello b3Tac0d3 and welcome to the board from Branford ct. as you can see from my sig pic this is what I did with my 02 retro

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I was originally going to go this route, but then I just pictured getting rear ended by some asswipe who'd claim it was my fault because they couldn't see my turn signals.

I ended up going with smaller slim signals that had really bright LEDs in them. I also went with a sidemount plate that had it's own brake light in it, then wired up a RTB system so the whole back end lights up nice and bright.

So from a distance, they look small, but are plenty bright as they operate as running lights as well as turn signals.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts