Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search and could not find anything. I have kury led turn sigs on all four corners. When the key is on but the bike is not running, the turn sigs work fine. When the engine is started, if the left turn sig is activated the front right sig will flash just a little. I have installed the load eq's and the diode. I have went back over all my wiring and could not find anything wrong. When I put a test light on the right turn sig wire the blinking will stop and the running light will come back on. The only thing I can think of is there is a small voltage leak somewhere that won't light up the incandesent test light but is enough to activate the turn sig. What I can't figure out is why it will only act up if the bike is running? Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
There has been a sudden "rash" of these kinds of posts lately, actually doubling the # of these problems I've seen in my time here.
I would trace everything out to make sure the problem isn't elsewhere, wrongly installed diodes, load EQ's, etc and double check the wiring - if all else fails the solution that I just found when talking with another member was to swap the turn signal wire with the running light wire on that side.

So on the right side you'd swap the light blue wire with the light blue w/ white stripe wire.
Let me know if it works.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bare,

I'm the one that emailed you and have been takling to you about it. I'm the one that found the wier switch deal. :lol: Thanks for the help though. :D

·
Registered
332 Posts
I tried switching light blue with light blue with white stripe. That made the voltage regulator get hot, very hot qucik. The signals did blink right but were blinking very fast.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's no cure all, but the universal flasher mod will make things a LOT easier. The multiple configurations of LEDs, incandescents, diodes, and load equalizers can be a bear (or if you like the pun, Bare) to troubleshoot. No math involved with the universal flasher.

·
Registered
332 Posts
What us the universal flasher mod and does it work with front and rear led turn signals. Also, what is involved in chaging out all the load equilixers and diode fix to put the universal flaher in?

·
Registered
841 Posts
firefighter841 said:
What us the universal flasher mod and does it work with front and rear led turn signals. Also, what is involved in chaging out all the load equilixers and diode fix to put the universal flaher in?
Check out Bare's write-up. He was instrumental in Custom Dynamics offering us what amounts to a plug-n-play mod.
http://bareasschoppers.com/uflasher/
You'll still need the diode fix, but you can totally forget any load equalizers. Take 'em out and declutter your wiring harness. You can also set the flash rate easily - there's a pot on the unit.

This will work with all your turn signals and is NOT load dependent - i.e. you can mix and match your LEDs and incandescents as long as you don't exceed your bikes wattage.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have ordered the unit as described by bare. When it arrives I will take the load equilizers out and reattach the wires the way they came. I will then install the universal flasher and hope that will fix the problem.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Firefighter,

After you switch your light blue wire with the light blue wire with the stripe, all you have to do is switch your load EQ to the other wire, and that should fix your problem. If you get the other relay you will probally still have to switch the blue wires to solve your problem, you just won't have the load EQ.

Let me know how it goes.

·
Registered
120 Posts
im having same problem , sort of

I just installed kuryakyn LED mini bullets to replace front turn signals. Before i hooked up the new lights i had to cut factory wires to see which was turn, ground, and running light. So with the front blinker completely dettached the flasher worked twice as fast and didn't get any slower once i hooked up the new LED's. I haven't installed the diode for the turn signal indicator and was wondering if this is a cure fro the problem or is there something any of you had to do?

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Re: im having same problem , sort of

ndmeathead said:
I just installed kuryakyn LED mini bullets to replace front turn signals. Before i hooked up the new lights i had to cut factory wires to see which was turn, ground, and running light. So with the front blinker completely dettached the flasher worked twice as fast and didn't get any slower once i hooked up the new LED's. I haven't installed the diode for the turn signal indicator and was wondering if this is a cure fro the problem or is there something any of you had to do?
On a C model you'll need the diode and a load EQ to fix the fast flash. The load EQ for the flash and the diode to prevent "cross-flashing". You can get all you need on my site.

http://www.bareasschoppers.com

·
Registered
134 Posts
3D said:
It's no cure all, but the universal flasher mod will make things a LOT easier. The multiple configurations of LEDs, incandescents, diodes, and load equalizers can be a bear (or if you like the pun, Bare) to troubleshoot. No math involved with the universal flasher.
I do not have the above mentioned problems, yet, but I have been thinking of switching to this universal flasher just so I could remove my 4 load equalizers. HOWEVER, I'm also using a Blinker Buddy in my seat. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm thinking that the universal flasher is very limited on how much power it can handle. If so, whould a Blinker Buddy overload it. I do not know how many amps a Blinker Buddy, or all my LEDs, (Smoke Ringz, Muth mirrors, Kury radiator LED radiator trim), draw. My math is even worse than my spelling.

Help, anyone?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Universal flasher.

I received my Custom Dynamics universal flasher unit yesterday and plugged it in and everything seemed to work fine, sort of! The Radiantz tail light appears to be o.k., however there is a bit of bleed over between the Iron Cross run/turn signals. Also the dash light is dark when the right signal is operating. Turn left and it flashes just fine!

Owning a motorcycle is not a matter of life or death.....It is far more important than that!

C

·
0 Posts
I did a search and could not find anything. I have kury led turn sigs on all four corners. When the key is on but the bike is not running, the turn sigs work fine. When the engine is started, if the left turn sig is activated the front right sig will flash just a little. I have installed the load eq's and the diode. I have went back over all my wiring and could not find anything wrong. When I put a test light on the right turn sig wire the blinking will stop and the running light will come back on. The only thing I can think of is there is a small voltage leak somewhere that won't light up the incandesent test light but is enough to activate the turn sig. What I can't figure out is why it will only act up if the bike is running? Anyone have any ideas?
Sounds like the bike cannot supply enough current to the blinking LED fast enough, thefore it dims the opposite side as it draws more current.
If you removed the load equalizer, I would guess the problem would
resolve or improve. The test light acts like a capacitor, it stores charge and when the LEDS/LE need power current is drawn from the test light. As Bare suggested, the universal flasher should improve or resolve the problem. In reality it is not the LEDs that are drawing the current on the blink, it is the load equalizer. An alternate solution would be to mount a small capacitor from the LED + to ground.

C

·
0 Posts
I do not have the above mentioned problems, yet, but I have been thinking of switching to this universal flasher just so I could remove my 4 load equalizers. HOWEVER, I'm also using a Blinker Buddy in my seat. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong, but I'm thinking that the universal flasher is very limited on how much power it can handle. If so, whould a Blinker Buddy overload it. I do not know how many amps a Blinker Buddy, or all my LEDs, (Smoke Ringz, Muth mirrors, Kury radiator LED radiator trim), draw. My math is even worse than my spelling.
4 load equalizer, even at 2amps each is way too much... you should at most need 2 - 2 amp load equalizers on the bike to maintain the proper flash rate. Does the Blinker Buddy have a current specification on it?
I can't image it being too much. Your Smoke Ringz are drawing about
350mA, Muth Mirrors, about 350mA, Kury Radiator trim about 100mA so you are at approximately 800ma. If the Blinker Buddy is 1Amp or less you will be fine.

C

·
0 Posts
I received my Custom Dynamics universal flasher unit yesterday and plugged it in and everything seemed to work fine, sort of! The Radiantz tail light appears to be o.k., however there is a bit of bleed over between the Iron Cross run/turn signals. Also the dash light is dark when the right signal is operating. Turn left and it flashes just fine!
Do you have the diode fix installed? If so, check to make sure the diodes are in the correct direction, sounds like the one on the right side is backwards.

·
Registered
134 Posts
customdynamics said:
4 load equalizer, even at 2amps each is way too much... you should at most need 2 - 2 amp load equalizers on the bike to maintain the proper flash rate. Does the Blinker Buddy have a current specification on it?
I can't image it being too much. Your Smoke Ringz are drawing about
350mA, Muth Mirrors, about 350mA, Kury Radiator trim about 100mA so you are at approximately 800ma. If the Blinker Buddy is 1Amp or less you will be fine.

Thank you. I have no doubt that you are absolutely correct. Even about the two verses four load equalizers. When I installed the Smoke Ringz, I first tried it with only two load equalizers. Signals flashed just fine. But, the instructions said to install all four of them, so, install I did. Now, looks like I will be able to get rid on them all together. I will get a universial flasher on order.

Thanks Again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts