Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,553 Posts
There are many preferences.
This is said to be one of the best.
Others use what they get.
I have an old craftsman.
Built a stand for bike to sit on. Jack only to lift.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,760 Posts
I would think this?

Jahziel Phillips-Ray
Exactly. Leave the front tethered and you can lift the rear with this. Mine actually came with one of those. The last panels come out of the lift so you can actually drop the wheel out from under the fender when you're ready to. If you need to remove the front tire, you tie down the rear of the bike, and release the front and the clamp. front wheel is totally accessible. These lifts come in a couple of different varieties. Mine is pneumatic as I have an air compressor. The other option is electric over hydraulic. You plug it in and the electric motor is a small hydraulic pump that lifts the bike. either way, it has saved me countless hours and endless grief by making everything readily accessible.

·
Registered
2002 VTX1800R Lowered 2" Rhinehardt Flush Cut, Brown County X with Flames Air Box Cover
1,553 Posts
Exactly. Leave the front tethered and you can lift the rear with this. Mine actually came with one of those. The last panels come out of the lift so you can actually drop the wheel out from under the fender when you're ready to. If you need to remove the front tire, you tie down the rear of the bike, and release the front and the clamp. front wheel is totally accessible. These lifts come in a couple of different varieties. Mine is pneumatic as I have an air compressor. The other option is electric over hydraulic. You plug it in and the electric motor is a small hydraulic pump that lifts the bike. either way, it has saved me countless hours and endless grief by making everything readily accessible.
What is the capacity of this lift? What would you consider a fair price for one? And it helps if you have a garage tall enough. If not, outside or under a good porch.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
The platform lifts raise about 2 1/5 ft. + -
Most garages would be high enough to use this type of a lift.

Another option is a side lift type motorcycle lift. A friend had one similar to this one in the link but was not from H.F. He used it a lot and it worked out great for just about any type of work on his bike. I don't know what brand his was but this is another option.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
The platform lifts raise about 2 1/5 ft. + -
Most garages would be high enough to use this type of a lift.

Another option is a side lift type motorcycle lift. A friend had one similar to this one in the link but was not from H.F. He used it a lot and it worked out great for just about any type of work on his bike. I don't know what brand his was but this is another option.

Slick

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I would think this?

I have one of those. Works very well even for the VTX. Surprisingly sturdy. And I have high standards. Was very pleasantly surprised that the bike didn't rock like a palm tree in a hurricane.

As far as an actual lift, they make a few different ones. The drive-on lifts tend to be pretty tall and bulky and take up too much space.
And with my garage space at a premium, I'd need a lift that stores as flat as possible so that I can park my ol' man Caddy over it. The width should be no problem. And I think the Caddy will clear at least 4". So once the weather cools down, I'll weld up a nice lift, pin it to the garage floor and probably use an electric motor for motion.
At my age, it is getting increasingly difficult to bend down to work on something. I am not young anymore.

·
Premium Member
10,760 Posts
do you drive up this ramp or push it up? safe to drive?
I have ridden onto the lift, but it is pretty narrow. If I have no help, then I start the bike, put it in gear and using the clutch, walk it up. Once it's in the chock, which I open just more than the front wheel width, I kill the motor, and tighten the front chock. Then I use tie downs to secure it. Then I can lift it.

·
Premium Member
10,760 Posts
What is the capacity of this lift? What would you consider a fair price for one? And it helps if you have a garage tall enough. If not, outside or under a good porch.
Mine has a capacity of 1000 or 1100lbs as I recall. It lifts my Harley without issue. Right now this model sells for about $2200CAD. I ordered it from Costco, so maybe check their website. I haven't an overly tall garage, and it's fine in there. You do not have to lift all if the way. There are different levels you can stop at, if needed.

During the summer, the cars stay outside. In the winter, I store the bike on the lift, all pushed over to the side of the garage. That way I can get a car in the garage so Laura doesn't have to scrape windshields in the winter.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
In the winter, I store the bike on the lift, all pushed over to the side of the garage. That way I can get a car in the garage so Laura doesn't have to scrape windshields in the winter.
My wife parks outside, but yet, never has to clean off snow or scrape her windshield... Lucky her...

Must be the magical husband elf...

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Mine has a capacity of 1000 or 1100lbs as I recall. It lifts my Harley without issue. Right now this model sells for about $2200CAD. I ordered it from Costco, so maybe check their website. I haven't an overly tall garage, and it's fine in there. You do not have to lift all if the way. There are different levels you can stop at, if needed.

During the summer, the cars stay outside. In the winter, I store the bike on the lift, all pushed over to the side of the garage. That way I can get a car in the garage so Laura doesn't have to scrape windshields in the winter.
Just looked, they don't carry that here.
I did find this one.
It seems usable.

Link to Bolton Lift

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Do these tables really have a huge advantage over the rolling stand I posted (redline stand)? To offset the price? I guess that can be raised high enough that you can stand when working? With my setup, I use a rolling shop chair.

The stand I posted goes high enough that I can remove a Runflat Darkside tire from under my R fender.

Sorry about the messy garage:

·
Premium Member
10,760 Posts
Do these tables really have a huge advantage over the rolling stand I posted (redline stand)? To offset the price? I guess that can be raised high enough that you can stand when working? With my setup, I use a rolling shop chair.

The stand I posted goes high enough that I can remove a Runflat Darkside tire from under my R fender.

It did for me, but as always YMMV. It really depends on why you need one and how much you do. Between my son and I the lift gets used a lot. Almost all of what we do could be done on your stand, yet it's nice having everything right in front of you. With the lift I get a workspace as well to put fasteners and tools to keep them right at hand. It may not be worth it for everyone, but I don't regret it for a second.

Reactions: Merry Prankster

·
Registered
1,553 Posts

No, I agree, I am looking into all options.
I do like yours, one could put bike on it, and roll it where you want.
Price wise, very nice.
Found this jack at costco.
It could prove useful.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts