Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a national cycle light bar put on it stay's on all the time with low beam's on when i turn on high beams they go out is this normal since i didnt do them my self a local shop did i dont know if this is normal hook up thanks in advance :?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Honda light bar also...does the same thing. Do a search. I believe you can re-wire it to make them stay on regardless of the low/high beam switch.

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
Just cut the blue wire and tape it off the lights will stay on all the time then unless you turn them off. I did mine, I want to be seen :shock:

·
Registered
104 Posts
What's the reason behind this feature? Why wouldn't we want the light bar on with the high beam?

BadX, are there no dangers of shoring out by cutting the blue wire? How long ago did you cut yours?

·
Registered
431 Posts
There is prolly a law somewhere that says ya cant have hibeam and running lights on the same time, My GMC truck is the same way turn brights on the fog/running lights go off! There are detailed threads on how to change the VTX so they will both stay on.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Illegal

The official, legal definition of these lightbars is "Passing Lamps." They are regulated by law in many states. They are supposed to be aimed at or below the main headlight and are only supposed to operate with the low beams because in every state that I know of, you are supposed to pass using low beams--probably to avoid high-beams-in-the-mirror-blindness of the driver you are passing.

If this makes no sense to you, you show great intelligence. Probably, the legal rationale was to generate more ticket revenue.

Personally, I find riding only with high beam dangerous. It' not like a car with 2 lights. One high beam doesn't illuminate the roadsides closer-in, like where that dog or deer might be. When on high, I like the passing lights to fill in so I can see what's over there waiting to run out in front of me.

So cut the blue wire, but put a set of insulated terminals on so you can reconnect in case you need to put it back to original to pass a vehicle inspection.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have the Honda light bar on mine too. It stays on when on low beam and goes out on high beam. I thought something was wrong till I saw where this is normal with others. I run it all the time on low beam in day time so I can be more visible to traffic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts