Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a used Honda lightbar on my '03 VTX1800 Retro today and, after buying some new nuts, bolts, lockwashers and spacers, got it on and securely. 8) The wiring went as well as could be expected given that none of the color coding matched up and I had no instructions. :?

My questions have to do with using the lightbar with the low and high beam. Not being the handy type, I was only able to wire it one way or the other so I opted for low beam so the lightbar would be on all of the time. While I seldom use my high beam, I would like to have the lightbar lights on any time the headlight is on either low or high. I don't want to hard wire it and use a switch. I'd like to have it switched with the key like the low beam is.

Additionally, I'm hoping that I've blown a fuse to my speedometer/odometer as I noticed it wasn't working when I got done. If it's not a fuse, any thoughts?

·
Registered
9,181 Posts
Check your fuses, as for having the bar on fulltime just swap one wire... The wire you use to "trigger" the relay right now is either the white or blue wire from the headlight. Swap instead to the blue wire w/ a white stripe. This is the wire that gives power to the headlight switch and will work on either high or low beams. :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Don't know about other states but in PA you can only have them come on with the low beam for state inspection.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
VTX1960 said:
Don't know about other states but in PA you can only have them come on with the low beam for state inspection.
Good point. Fortunately, Indiana is not a state requiring state inspections. :)

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bareass172 said:
The wire you use to "trigger" the relay right now is either the white or blue wire from the headlight. Swap instead to the blue wire w/ a white stripe. This is the wire that gives power to the headlight switch and will work on either high or low beams. :wink:
Bare (or anyone else who knows),

Will I find that wire inside the headlamp as well? If not, where might it be found?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
While I seldom use my high beam, I would like to have the lightbar lights on any time the headlight is on either low or high. quote]
Gary, you may want to consider riding with high beams during the day so you are more visible. Just a thought. :shock:

·
Registered
1,463 Posts

Will I find that wire inside the headlamp as well? If not, where might it be found?
Gary this wire was inside the Headlight on my 03 R

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Farzad said:
Gary, you may want to consider riding with high beams during the day so you are more visible. Just a thought. :shock:
And a very good thought, too. Thank you. 8)

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:

Yup, it's in the headlight. If memory serves, it is one of the wires in the red connector

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bareass172 said:
The wire you use to "trigger" the relay right now is either the white or blue wire from the headlight. Swap instead to the blue wire w/ a white stripe. This is the wire that gives power to the headlight switch and will work on either high or low beams. :wink:
I found three different blue wires with white stripes and none of them would do what I wanted so I just went looking for a wire of the same gauge or heavier into which I could tap. I found an open plug with three wires running to it, one of which was either black or very dark brown with a tan/gold/light brown stripe which was switched with the key. I tapped into it and now have my lightbar on with either high or low beams so I'm happy. :D

I have no idea for what this plug with the three wires was to have been used and could find no corresponding plug in the headlamp so I can only assume it was something the previous owner had and subsequently removed. Heck, it may have been for a lightbar I never saw. :)

In any event, unless someone posts and tells me why I shouldn't be using this for my lightbar, I think I'm going to call this project 'Done' and move on to something else. :D Thanks to everyone for all of the help. 8)

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Gary, the wire I'm talking about is in a black 6 prong connector with only 5 wire in it. If your looking from the front of the bike it's on the left side in the very back.
Sorry I'm so late with this information.

·
Registered
937 Posts
Mike OK said:
Gary, the wire I'm talking about is in a black 6 prong connector with only 5 wire in it. If your looking from the front of the bike it's on the left side in the very back.
Sorry I'm so late with this information.
tried tapping into that wire(blue/white stripe) no go.
waiting for some email support from big bike to get my install ironed out

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
slim shady, you have a PM.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't see any reason not to use the source I've tapped into already as it appears to be used for nothing else at this point. Does anyone have any idea for what that three wire plug might be or might have been used?

·
Registered
937 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I can't see any reason not to use the source I've tapped into already as it appears to be used for nothing else at this point. Does anyone have any idea for what that three wire plug might be or might have been used?
you tapped into the key switch?
if so how did you ground?

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
I'm pretty sure that for the HondaLine lightbar. Honda made it easy to install and wire one.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
slim shady said:
[quote="Gary in Indiana":dnkh0eb8]I can't see any reason not to use the source I've tapped into already as it appears to be used for nothing else at this point. Does anyone have any idea for what that three wire plug might be or might have been used?
you tapped into the key switch?
if so how did you ground?[/quote:dnkh0eb8]

I don't think that's what I did. I believe (and someone suggested above) that what I tapped into was actually there for the lightbar if only I'd gotten it new with the plug instead of used with bare wires. I guess for less than half the money of a new one I can live withouth the plug. :)

It took a little longer this way and I had to go back to correct the issue about which I begain this thread but that was no big deal, really. In any event, the lightbar works with the high and low beam, now, so I'm happy. :D

·
Registered
2,920 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
As was said, that 3p plug is for the honda lightbar when you install it using the wiring harness. The only risk you take by using that wire is it's a low voltage wire, 3amp fused. I'm surprised you haven't blown the fuse yet. On the honda harness all of that powers through a relay.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts