Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out and bought a 1300 S tonite.
Really , I've been looking for a while and thought an 1800 was for me until I rode it. Albeit they're great bikes, the 1300 was just a better "fit".
I got an '04 left over. (at a good price )
Now for some help, I want to get a wind shield (MS I think) and am not sure of the heigth ? I'm about 6'1" and 210 lbs. I'll have my wife on a lot.
I'll be using the stock seat for now. Any suggestions on a windshield?

Are HJC helmets a reasonable choice ?

I'm looking for a back rest for mom also ?

Sorry about the "50" questions thing for now but I sold my last bike in 1978 . So, I've been out of touch for awhile....

Thanks for the comments/help.
Mossy Beard

·
Seat Dr
5,159 Posts
Mossy Beard said:
I went out and bought a 1300 S tonite.
Really , I've been looking for a while and thought an 1800 was for me until I rode it. Albeit they're great bikes, the 1300 was just a better "fit".
I got an '04 left over. (at a good price )
Now for some help, I want to get a wind shield (MS I think) and am not sure of the heigth ? I'm about 6'1" and 210 lbs. I'll have my wife on a lot.
I'll be using the stock seat for now. Any suggestions on a windshield?

Are HJC helmets a reasonable choice ?

I'm looking for a back rest for mom also ?

Sorry about the "50" questions thing for now but I sold my last bike in 1978 . So, I've been out of touch for awhile....

Thanks for the comments/help.
Mossy Beard
First off, welcome to our mad house and congrats on the new ride. Good choice in the Retro. :wink:

You'll probably want a Memphis Fats 21", I personally use a 19" fats and I am 5'11. My wife liked our Hondaline tall backrest, if you shop around and look on Ebay you can find them for around $250 complete there is also a place that sells replica Hondalines but I have no experiance with them, maybe someone else can help you there. HJC's are good helmets also.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Great choice! I just bought a 2004 1300S leftover and absolutely love it. Thought the 1800 was for me but the 1300 was the cats a$$. Installed a Memphis 19" Fats and Restyling Sissy bar for the wife http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/mer ... 001GLVTX13 from PhatPerformanceparts.com and love it! BTW...HJC CL-33 is nice on the longer ride...that's choice though.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Congrats Mossy! You didn't say what color though. :?: Don't worry about the questions, ask away. There's tons of help/suggestions from great folks on this board.

·
Registered
3,543 Posts

Affirming Retro as the best choice, and of course, Black is fastest! 8)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Congrats on the new purchase! Hopefully the new VTX brings new meanings to riding a bike for ya. Check out the Pallidan Backrest. They snap on and off in about 5 seconds. I prefer to cruise w/o and just snap on w/ rear seat for the rare times I take a passenger.

Good luck!

·
Registered
5,856 Posts
Welcome to the board, and good luck with picking out what you need. About the windshield, if you get one too tall it can always be cut down, I just did mine and it was easy, turned out great.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the suggestions !
I think I'm going with the Memphis Fats 21 " .
By the way the bike is black. I was "raised " on black machines since 1969(with a "few" year lay off).
Thanks again.
Mossy Beard

·
Registered
160 Posts
Mossy,
Since yours is Black you have to go for the black gradient Memphis Fats 21". This was the first thing I got and asked for the all clear type and he said I should try this one first and I held it up smiled and went in to pay for it. It looks great. You can see a few shots of it at BBR Photo Gallery at http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/show ... thecat=998

Enjoy the new ride.

Hawk

·
Registered
3,543 Posts
Here's what a 21" Memphis with black gradient looks like on a retro:

·
Registered
8,588 Posts
Mossey if you can go to a bike dealer and try on helmets. I've found different brands fit differently! HJC happens to be the best fit for my head, I've got a 3/4 and a full face that are HJC's But their flip up didn't fit me right. And all the other brands I tried on just didn't fit as well...so it really be best to try helmets on. Then if you really want to order online you've got the brand, style name and size by having tried em on!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts