Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little reminder, did you checked your…

…Tire pressure today, this week – this YEAR???????

Precise tire pressure is important for your safety, lifetime of the tire and fuel consumption.

The exact pressure is on the sidewall of your tire. Some riders prefer more pressure on the C- Models because of “cupping”. I lead the cupping back to the weak fork springs.
Anyway I would not recommend going higher then the manufacturer state on the tire. With a too high pressure you will loose traction.

You should check your tire periodically for objects such as bolds, nails or other bad things.

Have a good and safe ride…

·
Registered
214 Posts
Okay Pete, are you now telling us C owners not to run the increased pressure at 40 lbs. ?? All the treads I have read refer to increasing pressure to 38-40. I bought my used C in Jan. with 4000 miles, and both front and rear tires shows lots of wear, with front tire needing replaced very soon. I will be replacing tires before inspection, knowing for sure the front tire will not pass. So do I need to use rated tire pressure of manufacturer or run the 38-40, like everyone says??
Thanks,

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fotodan said:
Okay Pete, are you now telling us C owners not to run the increased pressure at 40 lbs. ?? All the treads I have read refer to increasing pressure to 38-40. I bought my used C in Jan. with 4000 miles, and both front and rear tires shows lots of wear, with front tire needing replaced very soon. I will be replacing tires before inspection, knowing for sure the front tire will not pass. So do I need to use rated tire pressure of manufacturer or run the 38-40, like everyone says??
Thanks,
...not everyone...I never agreed to the increase of the pressure. I like to stop were I have to stop and don’t like to skid about a higher tire pressure. A “tippy” tire and rain, you have fun…Same scenario in the high speed curves, traction is for me more important then wear.
The stock tire cup in the front, I just changed to Metzeler. We have a linked brake system, this thing works just fine. Your tire wear goes down, especially in the front when you use this system! Almost 1000 pounds is a lot on the front tire at the stopping when only the front brake is applied. In not drastic brake situations, like rolling on a light – I don’t use my right hand, only the foot brake. Same in traffic – when let off throttle is not enough – foot pedal!
BTW: the VTX 1800 has the shortest braking distance of the heavyweight cruisers

·
Registered
518 Posts
I agree with Pete on this, from my own experience. When I tried what was suggested (raise the pressure to 40/41) my back tire would squirrel around whenever I really got on it. down to 38 and everything feels normal again. Pretty cheap to replace a tire compared to losing it at speed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Dunnies have 41# stamped right on them. As for the brakes you're right on again. Back when I got mine, I took the exp. rider course that Honda reimbursed. I had the biggest bike there of 12 others but beat out everyone on the panic stop.

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Dunlop (Honda Hoot '03) told me 38/41 for my VTX1800C (D251F/D251), not 36/36 that Honda specifies. Dunlop thinks that Honda states that for a softer ride.

Sidewall states "maximum" 41psi.

I do my best to run 38/41 in my Dunlop D251F/D251. Check when cold, not after you've been riding a while. The reading is always with a "cold" tire.

Whatever you decide to do, follow Pete's advice and buy a quality air guage once a year and check your tires before EVERY ride. (Not that I do, but I try to.)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Pete,

Thank you for the reminder! The Wife and I are going to do about 200 miles today, I will check the pressure as part of my pre-ride inspection.

respectfully,

David

·
Registered
161 Posts
David said:
Dunlop (Honda Hoot '03) told me 38/41 for my VTX1800C (D251F/D251), not 36/36 that Honda specifies. Dunlop thinks that Honda states that for a softer ride.

Sidewall states "maximum" 41psi.

I do my best to run 38/41 in my Dunlop D251F/D251. Check when cold, not after you've been riding a while. The reading is always with a "cold" tire.

Whatever you decide to do, follow Pete's advice and buy a quality air guage once a year and check your tires before EVERY ride. (Not that I do, but I try to.)
QUALITY AIR GAUGE is the key

·
Registered
101 Posts
That is a great idea, not overinflating your tires. I have the Metz 180 on the rear, and followed many peoples suggestions and aired up to 40-42 in the rear, and I applied the brakes and my A$$ end slid all over the place. Luckily I was looking ahead and planning an escape route. I was going 60mph and 20 yards ahead was 3 stopped cars and a stopped van. By the time I saw them I was just about sliding sideways. I released the rear brake, straightend out the tried teh front, and the front slid too. Then I had to find a way out. I am on a 2 lane road and to the right is a 3 -4 foot ravine and oncoming traffic to the left. I tried to stay on the road with only about 12to16 inches of road next to the cars and van, I decided to go that route but the vans mirror was sticking out too far. Then I decided to go off the road at about 50 mph now. All that happend in slow motion felt like 5 minutes. next thing I now I am on the intersecting street 60 yards away, both feet on the ground, with nothing hurt, just my adreniline pumping full throttle and waiting for my buddy to catch up. When I got home, I lowered my air pressure, and went back out. My tires stuck to the road so much better.

Sorry for the long story, but I believe in keeping the air pressure at what the manufactuer reccomends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts