Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 06 1800 F is in need of some valve adjustment (I think.). I used the information all over this forum to attempt it myself, I’ve always done most of my own work, but my big hands and almost 60 year old dexterity wouldn’t let me into the tight spaces, especially for the exhaust valves.
I’ve read how the stealerships either won’t or can’t do it, so I’m looking for references for a reputable wrench in the Central Ohio area.
TIA!

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
It is a bit like building a ship in a bottle. Not as bad as some engines I've done but, takes some part removal and patience. I also have large hands. I fixed the feeler gauges to tongue depressors I bummed off my doctor. Not the first eng. I had to do that for. It takes me about 3 hours start to finish. And, that is working on "my bike" time. At the shop with a kid to do the simple shit two hours. I mention the time required so you have some insight to what ever price you get thrown for the job. The exhaust valves are the ones that do tend to move closer to the cam (eat up clearance) but, I've yet to find any in the 'danger zone'. How many miles on the engine? As far as where to have it done goes? As always find a busy indy shop that's been around for a while. Go in and say hello to the guy. Tell him what you want done. One last thing, I would never do the job (for a customer) without replacing the '0' rings. They often do not need replacing but professionals do not re-use seals, gaskets, '0' rings, etc..

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I’ve always done most of my own work, but my big hands and almost 60 year old dexterity wouldn’t let me into the tight spaces, especially for the exhaust valves.
Is there a teenager in your family that could act as smaller hands under your instructions to get into the tight spaces adjust the valves. A friend of mine working on his truck had a tight spot he could not fit his hands, he got his young daughter to help put the part in, sure enough it worked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is a bit like building a ship in a bottle. Not as bad as some engines I've done but, takes some part removal and patience. I also have large hands. I fixed the feeler gauges to tongue depressors I bummed off my doctor. Not the first eng. I had to do that for. It takes me about 3 hours start to finish. And, that is working on "my bike" time. At the shop with a kid to do the simple shit two hours. I mention the time required so you have some insight to what ever price you get thrown for the job. The exhaust valves are the ones that do tend to move closer to the cam (eat up clearance) but, I've yet to find any in the 'danger zone'. How many miles on the engine? As far as where to have it done goes? As always find a busy indy shop that's been around for a while. Go in and say hello to the guy. Tell him what you want done. One last thing, I would never do the job (for a customer) without replacing the '0' rings. They often do not need replacing but professionals do not re-use seals, gaskets, '0' rings, etc..
Thanks for the insight. Bought the bike with 8,000 miles on it a year ago, now 13,000 miles. It’s running fine, it’s just the “ticking” noise that’s bothering my “mechanic” ears. I’ve read that these are “noisy” engines, but went ahead and attempted the “measure and adjust” since it was recommended at 8,000 miles. I could get the feeler gauges in, seemed to be in tolerance, providing I actually had the crank in the correct spot, but as the ticking continues, hasn’t worsened, I was considering a second opinion.

·
Registered
14,238 Posts
The 1800 has a de-compression device on the exhaust camshaft lobe.
Sometimes they do get loud. Some have replaced the camshaft or cut off the de-compressor.
Someone on FB-VTXOA just removed their de-compression device.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
My 06 1800 F is in need of some valve adjustment (I think.). I used the information all over this forum to attempt it myself, I’ve always done most of my own work, but my big hands and almost 60 year old dexterity wouldn’t let me into the tight spaces, especially for the exhaust valves.
I’ve read how the stealerships either won’t or can’t do it, so I’m looking for references for a reputable wrench in the Central Ohio area.
TIA!
I'm not 'volunteering' anyone's services, but what is your location? There are a couple friends in the Ohio area that if they see this, may be willing to help. One is just east of Canton, and another is just north of Z'ville, but the Z'ville only rarely posts over on the VTX Cafe. Each has hosted tech sessions for various work in the past, but nothing was scheduled for this year. Life (and Covid) does get in the way sometimes. What is the miles on your bike and what makes you think they need further work? The motor is supposed to sound like a sewing machine. My bike never had them adjusted until 22K miles, and they were all in spec, but 1 was tight .001.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not 'volunteering' anyone's services, but what is your location? There are a couple friends in the Ohio area that if they see this, may be willing to help. One is just east of Canton, and another is just north of Z'ville, but the Z'ville only rarely posts over on the VTX Cafe. Each has hosted tech sessions for various work in the past, but nothing was scheduled for this year. Life (and Covid) does get in the way sometimes. What is the miles on your bike and what makes you think they need further work? The motor is supposed to sound like a sewing machine. My bike never had them adjusted until 22K miles, and they were all in spec, but 1 was tight .001.
Great info!

Currently 13K, bought it with 8K. Didn’t know anything about these bikes (former GoldWing rider) and after some research, guessed the PO sold it at 8K to avoid the service. I attempted the job, pretty sure I got the readings right, but if I was wrong, there was no way I was going to be able get in and do the wrench work. The bike runs great, like a “scalded dog,” I just wasn’t sure about the “ticking.” Your description of a sewing machine is spot on though, so I guess I won’t sweat it. If my Hemi sounded like that, I’d be really worried, LOL!

Zanesville is closer than Canton, just 45 miles east of me, I’d love to meet up with some fellow VTXers. Especially ones that have some more experience with these fun machines.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Great info!

Currently 13K, bought it with 8K. Didn’t know anything about these bikes (former GoldWing rider) and after some research, guessed the PO sold it at 8K to avoid the service. I attempted the job, pretty sure I got the readings right, but if I was wrong, there was no way I was going to be able get in and do the wrench work. The bike runs great, like a “scalded dog,” I just wasn’t sure about the “ticking.” Your description of a sewing machine is spot on though, so I guess I won’t sweat it. If my Hemi sounded like that, I’d be really worried, LOL!

Zanesville is closer than Canton, just 45 miles east of me, I’d love to meet up with some fellow VTXers. Especially ones that have some more experience with these fun machines.
So you're in the Columbus area? Where specifically, Reynoldsburg, Gahanna, Pickerington, Westerville, ?

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Canal Winchester
It's been several years, but we also had several annual tech sessions near Marysville, just off Rt. 42. The host's Dad actually worked at the Honda factory there, but the host had several things subsequently come up, and he no longer rides or hosts. Great times.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Canal Winchester
If by chance you were able to host a tech session, I'm sure you would get at least a few of the oHIo fellas to show up and help you out. There's at least 4 from Cambridge I know, and the fella from Z'ville, all close, and possibly a few others from a few hrs. away. It's maybe 5 hrs. for me.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
Great info!

Look at this thread: Checked the valve clearance this week for the third time after 120.000 km | Honda VTX Forum (vtxoa.com)

·
Registered
31 Posts
TIA!
It is a tight space to do the valves, but really not that hard. It is much better to have the bike on a jack. The front cylinder is pretty easy, pull the tank, pull the airbox, if you still have the pair valve system in place that needs to come off, drain a little coolant, loosen the top radiator hose, unbolt the top of the radiator, loosen the bottom bolts, pull the top hose loose and let the radiator hang forward a little to help access the front exhaust valve. If yopu need to you can unbolt the radiator completely, and leave the bottom hose connected. The intakes are pretty easy. For the rear exhaust valve, I pull the coolant hose that runs from the water pump to the thermostat, at the thermostat, and plug it. I then pull it down out of the way. I also pull the fuel line from the injector rail and move it out of the way. The rear exhaust valve is the toughest one to get to, so I move as much of the hoses as I can to make it easier. I use standard length feeler gauges in a set instead of individual gauges, and bend the ends to get between the valve and rocker. I like to tighten the pivot of the gauge set so they will stay at whatever position I want. The reason I like to use a feeler gauge in a set instead of individual gauges is I because I like having a big handle to hang on to as I am getting them into position, and I do not have to worry about dropping it in the rocker cover. I bought a set of valve adjustment wrenches on Amazon that basically are a 10mm socket with a handle and a knob with a 4 mm square socket inside the 10 mm. They work well, but are too tall for the rear exhaust valve. So I got a 4mm open wrench for the rear exhaust valve, though I have not tried it yet. It may work better all the way around, but I like having the knobs on the valve adjustment wrench because they are marked and it easy to see how much you have adjusted, and you can hold it while tightening the wrench. One big thing to remember is to be very careful not to let anything fall in the rocker cover. There is no way to get the rear one off without pulling the engine.
Amazon.com: BikeMaster Valve Clearance Adjustable Wrenches - - : Tools & Home Improvement
Acu-Min 51-1834 Open End Wrench, 4.0 millimeter, Steel Handle, Black Oxide Finish, 3 inches Overall Length: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It is a tight space to do the valves, but really not that hard. It is much better to have the bike on a jack. The front cylinder is pretty easy, pull the tank, pull the airbox, if you still have the pair valve system in place that needs to come off, drain a little coolant, loosen the top radiator hose, unbolt the top of the radiator, loosen the bottom bolts, pull the top hose loose and let the radiator hang forward a little to help access the front exhaust valve. If yopu need to you can unbolt the radiator completely, and leave the bottom hose connected. The intakes are pretty easy. For the rear exhaust valve, I pull the coolant hose that runs from the water pump to the thermostat, at the thermostat, and plug it. I then pull it down out of the way. I also pull the fuel line from the injector rail and move it out of the way. The rear exhaust valve is the toughest one to get to, so I move as much of the hoses as I can to make it easier. I use standard length feeler gauges in a set instead of individual gauges, and bend the ends to get between the valve and rocker. I like to tighten the pivot of the gauge set so they will stay at whatever position I want. The reason I like to use a feeler gauge in a set instead of individual gauges is I because I like having a big handle to hang on to as I am getting them into position, and I do not have to worry about dropping it in the rocker cover. I bought a set of valve adjustment wrenches on Amazon that basically are a 10mm socket with a handle and a knob with a 4 mm square socket inside the 10 mm. They work well, but are too tall for the rear exhaust valve. So I got a 4mm open wrench for the rear exhaust valve, though I have not tried it yet. It may work better all the way around, but I like having the knobs on the valve adjustment wrench because they are marked and it easy to see how much you have adjusted, and you can hold it while tightening the wrench. One big thing to remember is to be very careful not to let anything fall in the rocker cover. There is no way to get the rear one off without pulling the engine.

Thanks! I basically did all the prep work you said, jack/stand included, difficulty was less the issue than dexterity. I was pretty much able to get the measurements (seemed right) and was glad not to have to try getting wrenches in there. Knowing I’d probably drop one, I was prepared to use string on them just in case, as has been widely recommended.

As I’ve said, it runs great, but the “sewing machine” sound kept bothering me. The more info I get, the more I think I’m good.
Amazon.com: BikeMaster Valve Clearance Adjustable Wrenches - - : Tools & Home Improvement
Acu-Min 51-1834 Open End Wrench, 4.0 millimeter, Steel Handle, Black Oxide Finish, 3 inches Overall Length: Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement
It's been several years, but we also had several annual tech sessions near Marysville, just off Rt. 42. The host's Dad actually worked at the Honda factory there, but the host had several things subsequently come up, and he no longer rides or hosts. Great times.
Sounds cool. I still miss the real Honda Homecoming.
If by chance you were able to host a tech session, I'm sure you would get at least a few of the oHIo fellas to show up and help you out. There's at least 4 from Cambridge I know, and the fella from Z'ville, all close, and possibly a few others from a few hrs. away. It's maybe 5 hrs. for me.
Hmmm, I’m gonna need a bigger garage, LOL!

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Sounds cool. I still miss the real Honda Homecoming.

Hmmm, I’m gonna need a bigger garage, LOL!
SPyKer Kerwin had a suburban home, single garage, we did work in his concrete driveway in W. Columbus, O. Maybe 8-10 riders showed up, not all need work done. Just to lend a hand, knowledge, and the desire to help out VTX buddies who need it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SPyKer Kerwin had a suburban home, single garage, we did work in his concrete driveway in W. Columbus, O. Maybe 8-10 riders showed up, not all need work done. Just to lend a hand, knowledge, and the desire to help out VTX buddies who need it.
Nice, I’m up for it. I have a two car garage, concrete driveway in a cul-de-sac.

·
Registered
12,362 Posts
Nice, I’m up for it. I have a two car garage, concrete driveway in a cul-de-sac.
LOL See, Smitty chimed in! He's one o' da Cambridge boiz.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts