Honda VTX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to all.

A question for the collective...

There has been some babble on the newsgroups and locally in regards to the 1300 not being able to tour for any king of distance over 300-500 miles without issues. My 1300 seems very stable, with plenty of Kahonies and I have had rides that were 150+ oneway (with a rider) with zero degregation at all.
Any truth to this or the down side to a 1300 taking a long ride?

Regards,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,278 Posts
All I can tell you is that I rode my 1300 back from Tennessee to Michigan - over 650 miles with no ill effects at all. Good enough touring bike for me! And that was before installing my Ultimate seat. Where are these naysayers anyway? They just feel bad because they couldn't get a 1300 I guess.
lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Hmmm

I have over 3,650 miles on my 04 1300C since June, Some trips over 300 miles. Never an issue.

I do understand that the 1800 would tour better on highways due to in part of being heavier with more tourgue and passing authority. It does however cost the 1800 rider - they have to fill up every 100 miles or so.

Thus, I do not understand where the 1300 would fall short. I used to tour on my 1994 Ninja 600 E2 and sold it last year with 35,000 miles on it .. never had a problem. IMHO the 1300c is a superior touring machine compared to the Ninja.

So I guess if one goes from the 1800 to the 1300, one might feel some power and stability shortcomings inherent in the displacement and the weight difference. But I'd chance it that those are mere perceptions, and nothing substantive that would merit one to say that the 1300 is BAD for touring.

My 02.

-Milos
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,171 Posts
I have an 03 1800C. The most I have riden in a day was about 400 miles and yes I have to stop about every 100 miles to give her a drink. Gas milage is something I didn't even think about when purchasing. I thought hell, it's a motorcycle, how much gas can it use. Do I want to trade it off because it's a gasaholic....nooooooway! In truth at 100 miles I'm ready to get off and stretch. I'm hopeing that a new seat will help in that area. Everyone says that the stock seat is a killer. I was glad to hear it because I thought I was just getting old and warn out.

Bill
 
G

·
Father X said:
Happy New Year to all.

A question for the collective...

There has been some babble on the newsgroups and locally in regards to the 1300 not being able to tour for any king of distance over 300-500 miles without issues. My 1300 seems very stable, with plenty of Kahonies and I have had rides that were 150+ oneway (with a rider) with zero degregation at all.
Any truth to this or the down side to a 1300 taking a long ride?

Regards,
The 1300 is a long distance machine. I have over 8,000 miles on my 1300S with several 600 mile days and quite a few 300+ days. On the long rides, before I put the Ultimate seat on, I found myself skipping meals and just fueling every 160 miles or so. I obviously wasn't being overtired by the ride and the X sure eats up the miles. Coming north through Seattle one day I drove though over 300 miles of rain and the X never noticed. I also don't have a throttle lock, only one of those $8 palm rests. I found that with my previous bike I didn't use the lock that much and the throttle needed adjustment every time the slope of the road changed. The 1300 also doesn't seem to notice the difference with my wife on the back, plenty of power for long distance touring. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,558 Posts
BilDal said:
Father X said:
Happy New Year to all.

A question for the collective...

There has been some babble on the newsgroups and locally in regards to the 1300 not being able to tour for any king of distance over 300-500 miles without issues. My 1300 seems very stable, with plenty of Kahonies and I have had rides that were 150+ oneway (with a rider) with zero degregation at all.
Any truth to this or the down side to a 1300 taking a long ride?

Regards,
The 1300 is a long distance machine. I have over 8,000 miles on my 1300S with several 600 mile days and quite a few 300+ days. On the long rides, before I put the Ultimate seat on, I found myself skipping meals and just fueling every 160 miles or so. I obviously wasn't being overtired by the ride and the X sure eats up the miles. Coming north through Seattle one day I drove though over 300 miles of rain and the X never noticed. I also don't have a throttle lock, only one of those $8 palm rests. I found that with my previous bike I didn't use the lock that much and the throttle needed adjustment every time the slope of the road changed. The 1300 also doesn't seem to notice the difference with my wife on the back, plenty of power for long distance touring. :)
I think that just about sums it up!
End of story................Bigdog
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
521 Posts
Father X, I'd love to hear the reasons why these people your speaking of feel this way. Did they just throw this out, or did they give any reason why they thought this?

Inquiring minds want to know...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
583 Posts
I think you got it right sure sounds like babble to me .
Both are great bikes. Rode Cocoa Beach to Key West one day
rode back two days later Key West to Dayton Beach one day
only stopped for gas and lunch. Had hot sun and some pouring
rain. Never missed a beat. My 1300 does just fine by me
Mark
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,399 Posts
Part of this originates from the perception that the 1300 is the "little sibling" to the 1800. People lose sight that the 130 is a heavy criuser in it's own right.
People also forget that not long ago, Harleys were 1200cc, and about 40 hp, and considered the king of the highway.
We're well beyond that with the 1300.

The 1300 is plenty enough bike for the job.

It will tour just fine. The only limitation I see to touring with a 1300 is how long you can last in the seat. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,810 Posts
FatherX Dude I think what you heard is baloney. I'm in the same long distance camp. Recently a 5 hour exploring Road Trip down through San Jose and points south, across to I-5 via Pacheco Pass and return up to home holding it on 70 with brief visits to 100 (just showing off for the truckers). It can hold it's own on the road.
BLACK POWER


:tools1:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,313 Posts
13,000 miles on mine now--4,000 mile trip last summer in 10 days from SD to Nogales,Mexico & back,2 up & pulling a small trailer.600 miles the first day out(nothing new to look at).Gave it a pretty good test-100 degrees+ a lot of days & stinking cold up in the Rocky Mts.Absolutely no problems!No oil consumption-no nothing.Pulling a trailer,the power is "adequate".Compared to the 1500 Intruder that I traded in on this bike the 1300 has way better power,so the babble is BULL!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I dunno about long-long rides, my longest so far has been about 130 miles one way. Yesterday, we went touring on my 1300C. We rode and rode and rode. We got in some foothills in the South end of the county and LOVED IT! I weigh in at about 240lbs. and the wife at 130lbs. The bike performed exceptionally well in all the hills. She talked a time or two when climbing steep hills, but nothing a simple downshift wouldn't fix. I enjoy hearing her grunt thru the HK's. The only complaint was the the wife's 130 lbs is including her butt and she didn't enjoy the seat. She started squirming about after about 30-40 miles and I had to stop every 15 miles or so to give her butt a break.

Overall, I wouldn't be scared to ride my bike to timbuktu.


Lance
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
That 1300 will go anywhere you want to take her and will go further if your willing. We often ride 500-600 miles a day. Doesn't break a sweat. This bike just doesn't know the stress of a long distance ride. Have fun, Ride safe.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,091 Posts
bleve212 said:
She started squirming about after about 30-40 miles and I had to stop every 15 miles or so to give her butt a break.

Make your next mod a Mustang seat. We have been 380 miles with only 3 stops and didn't have a sore butt at the end of the day. Your wife will love the comfort.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
662 Posts
At 3600 miles, I've had absolutely no issues with my bike except the seat which I didn't like day one. With a Mustang Vintage Solo (17") and driver backrest in its place, the only thing I need is a bigger tank.

Never rode an 1800 - can't compare. Did put a couple hundred miles on a rented Road King in December. It rode a little softer than my X. But handling, braking, acceleration, fit and finish, were not superior to the X.

I plan to spend two months riding "The West" in the spring. All I've added to accomodate distance cruising is a throttle lock ... and a map.

Thanks.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks to all of you guys and gal's for the great feed back!

Just returned from a 250+ mile east coast - west coast (Florida) trip for a bacon cheesburger and the ride was great! zero problems.

Here he is just returned in the driveway and begging for more!
http://www.myacc.net/~billcleary/vtx12-2003.jpg

Don't know what was going yesterday (Sunday) but if it had a spark plug it was on the road. Went to theMarco Island (West Coast) and bikes everywhere.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Regards,[/url]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
Father X said:
Thanks to all of you guys and gal's for the great feed back!

Just returned from a 250+ mile east coast - west coast (Florida) trip for a bacon cheesburger and the ride was great! zero problems.

Here he is just returned in the driveway and begging for more!
http://www.myacc.net/~billcleary/vtx12-2003.jpg

Don't know what was going yesterday (Sunday) but if it had a spark plug it was on the road. Went to theMarco Island (West Coast) and bikes everywhere.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Regards,[/url]
FatherX - That is one fine looking ride you've got there. Where did those super-sized horns come from?? The blue and chrome looks fantastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
AblackVTXinMD said:
Father X said:
Thanks to all of you guys and gal's for the great feed back!

Just returned from a 250+ mile east coast - west coast (Florida) trip for a bacon cheesburger and the ride was great! zero problems.

Here he is just returned in the driveway and begging for more!
http://www.myacc.net/~billcleary/vtx12-2003.jpg

Don't know what was going yesterday (Sunday) but if it had a spark plug it was on the road. Went to theMarco Island (West Coast) and bikes everywhere.

Thanks again to all for the help.

Regards,[/url]
FatherX - That is one fine looking ride you've got there. Where did those super-sized horns come from?? The blue and chrome looks fantastic.
Thanks! If you want chrome or stainless where do ya go? ... boat store! I didn't want to mount a compressor so I chose the 12v trumpets. Paid about 130$ Having a ground issue but should have it worked out by the weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Distance rides

I picked up a new VTX 1300 Retro in CA last summer, rode it to Vegas for the 4th of July, then met my guy in Denver. We put a total of 3,100 miles for a wonderful vacation in CO, NM, KS,MO 10 days of riding. The VTX ran like a champ, I couldn't have asked for a better ride, although my first purchase of 04 is a new Corbin seat.

I also ride a 99 Magna, for that need-for-speed.

Terri P
Illinois
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
Top