Honda VTX Forum banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
I did a 940mile trip with the 1300 and the bike can go and go at 80-90 mph, I wore out but the bike wanted more. Don't let anybody tell you that the 1300 is inferior to anything, people will tell you a bunch of :chicken: if you let them. Get a good saddle, a gas card, and ride till you hit the end of the road, because the X will keep going.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Is a beautiful thing

Gone from Augusta, GA to Miami several times. Not one single problem other than the bite marks on my ears due to the excesive grin. :D

Specially the last trip whit my spanking new Memphis Shades Big Shot and Mustang seat. The previous seat I was looking for a rst every 90 miles or so. With the mustang only after hitting reserve.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Re: Is a beautiful thing

MickeyC said:
Gone from Augusta, GA to Miami several times. Not one single problem other than the bite marks on my ears due to the excesive grin. :D

Specially the last trip whit my spanking new Memphis Shades Big Shot and Mustang seat. The previous seat I was looking for a rst every 90 miles or so. With the mustang only after hitting reserve.
To you and Retrocycle... nice trips! I hope do be doing the opposite, MIA to GA. I've had the Mustang seat for about a month and I must be lucky because it feels like it's molded to my butt and my wifes... can't get off the bike now!

·
Registered
43 Posts
We Love Our 1300 Retro

After we bought her in July, our Black 1300 Retro now has 8,000 miles, most of which is two up and packed for fun. Billie and I have gone form Phoenix to Las Vegas twice, Laughlin Navada twice and to Winslow Arizona once this is in addition to many hours of riding around the state of Arizona just to feel the wind and be together. 90% of those 8,000 miles were two up and we felt no loss of power or other ill effects. When I wanted to pass, I passed, hill or no hill. Harley only has a 1450 as I recall. :p :p :p

G

·
VTX 1300 for long range cruising

I have ridden 180 miles between stops. I wouldn't hesitate a minute in riding this machine anywhere. Am planing to do Sturges and Daytona. For me the stock seats aren't terrible but I am going to upgrade to something with a backrest to help with the long distance comfort.
:D

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have rode on the back of a Valkyrie from Michigan to Florida and back twice (yuck my husbands driving skills I do not like). He then bought me a Honda VLX 600 (so I could learn how to drive), which I drove the same ride and decided that I needed much more power and comfort. We then got a Suzuki Intruder 1400, which had the power, but not much comfort. Finally then I bought my 1300 VTX Retro. The 1st trip we made, my behind was numb and very sore 1/2 way to Florida, but the power and handeling was great. The next year we made the trip, I had my new Mustang seat on it and wow !!! An awesome ride, comfortable, plenty of power, and just a great ride. Oh except for when we crossed the Florida state line and it began to rain (the big huge sign as you enter into Florida says "welcome to the sunshine state" yeah right. By the time we got off the bikes, there was a flash flood, and we stepped off into at least 8 inches of water. I coudl barely see my wheel/tire. Still we love making this ride every 1st 2 weeks of July for the General Motors Change over time off.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Long Distance Ride

To all...this fall rode 1,200 miles Memphis-South Bend, IN (Notre Dame game) with no problems. Drove like a dream @ 75-80 mph (speedo speed). I don't know where these rumors start but I wouldn't hesitate to take these bikes out on a cross-country - 1300 Retro.

Ride safe,

Memphis-X

·
Registered
569 Posts
touring..

I've heard of old 883/900/1000 Sporsters making the round trip to Calif from N. Texas with no problems, (other than the rider having a bad case of shakes, numbness, and bleeding kidneys!).

If an antiquated, rigid-mount H-D can make it, why even give touring on a 1300 a second thought?

BTW, my brother-in-law did the ride on a (new then) CB450 in '71 with nary a problem. (He did say he'd not take that trip again, tho!!) I rode a Kaw 500 triple two-stroke back then, but had enough sense to decline the invite to join him! (Couldn't afford all the plugs it would've foulde on a trip like that!)

·
Registered
4 Posts
All I can tell you is that I rode my 1300 back from Tennessee to Michigan - over 650 miles with no ill effects at all. Good enough touring bike for me! And that was before installing my Ultimate seat. Where are these naysayers anyway? They just feel bad because they couldn't get a 1300 I guess.
lol!
This is an old post.. but I just got a VTX 1300S. I want to ride it from Ohio to Folkston Ga. I am moving there in 2022 March or first week of April. I just wanted to know if it would be uncomfortable after about 400 miles. I got it back in April of 2021. I have riding it almost everyday when weather permits. I have added faring, saddlebags, highway bars and foot pegs. It looks like a Harley. But this bike is awesome. Has lots of power. Only has 16876 miles. And runs like a Cheetah. I just had new tires and brakes installed and it looks brand new.

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
94 Posts
When I got the 1800 I had been touring on a Shadow Sabre for years. Either the 1300 or the 1800 are Cadillacs compared to the Sabre 1100. Happy riding. This thread is quite old isn't it?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
This is an old post.. but I just got a VTX 1300S. I want to ride it from Ohio to Folkston Ga. I am moving there in 2022 March or first week of April. I just wanted to know if it would be uncomfortable after about 400 miles. I got it back in April of 2021. I have riding it almost everyday when weather permits. I have added faring, saddlebags, highway bars and foot pegs. It looks like a Harley. But this bike is awesome. Has lots of power. Only has 16876 miles. And runs like a Cheetah. I just had new tires and brakes installed and it looks brand new.
If you haven't changed the seat, that is what will hold you back. I don't know your height, but I got an Ultimate Big Boy seat (LOVE IT...), but once I did that, I also had to add handle bar risers ( if they are pull back, they must be 4.5" so it doesn't make contact with your speedo housing), and a taller windshield on my batwing (so that the top is above the bottom of my nose but below my eyes). I also will point out that having their backrest is also a must have (when I am riding locally, I sometimes just toss the backrest into my saddlebag). I'm 6'2" the big boy seat makes my legs more comfortable, the factory seat made me feel like I was squatting.

I can ride my bike all day now. The only thing holding me back is the miles per tank. I have to fuel up around 120-130 miles. If I could get 200-230 miles per tank, I would say my 1300 is an all around perfect bike.

I may some day see if I can get a spare damaged tank, then bring it to a fab shop and see if they can make the tank bigger. I know it will be big money, but my bike is all around perfect to me. I would have a 1800 if it had a single pin crank.

Risers:
Amazon.com: Krator Custom Chrome Motorcycle 1" Handlebar 4.5" Risers Compatible with Honda VTX 1300 C R S RETRO : Automotive

·
Registered
13,368 Posts
I have read that Folkston is a good "Rail Fan" location.
Longest single continuous one day ride for me was 823 miles.
I have gone as far as 162 miles on interstate, it was on Reserve(3.849 gal refill).
I have a Mustang seat.
Blue jean leg inseam or the seat cord makes its presence known after 500 miles.
"Leroys73" is an iron Butt rider. You can check what he has done.
What year is your 1300S? First year 2003 had an electric fuel pump(FP).
Many FP have expired, converting to gravity flow is the thing to do.

Reactions: leroys73

·
Registered
4 Posts
If you haven't changed the seat, that is what will hold you back. I don't know your height, but I got an Ultimate Big Boy seat (LOVE IT...), but once I did that, I also had to add handle bar risers ( if they are pull back, they must be 4.5" so it doesn't make contact with your speedo housing), and a taller windshield on my batwing (so that the top is above the bottom of my nose but below my eyes). I also will point out that having their backrest is also a must have (when I am riding locally, I sometimes just toss the backrest into my saddlebag). I'm 6'2" the big boy seat makes my legs more comfortable, the factory seat made me feel like I was squatting.

I can ride my bike all day now. The only thing holding me back is the miles per tank. I have to fuel up around 120-130 miles. If I could get 200-230 miles per tank, I would say my 1300 is an all around perfect bike.

I may some day see if I can get a spare damaged tank, then bring it to a fab shop and see if they can make the tank bigger. I know it will be big money, but my bike is all around perfect to me. I would have a 1800 if it had a single pin crank.

Risers:
Amazon.com: Krator Custom Chrome Motorcycle 1" Handlebar 4.5" Risers Compatible with Honda VTX 1300 C R S RETRO : Automotive

Ok the seat is a mustang seat its real nice I don't feel any bumps at all when I ride. Dunno what kind of seat came on it new. But there is a really one on there now. And as far ad gas miles I get right around 150 per tank before I have to go to reserve. But I think it's the gas you may use. When I got it the shop said to put octane 87 in it. Other riders said put high test. I put 87 Octane in it and my miles per gallon got better.

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Ok the seat is a mustang seat its real nice I don't feel any bumps at all when I ride. Dunno what kind of seat came on it new. But there is a really one on there now. And as far ad gas miles I get right around 150 per tank before I have to go to reserve. But I think it's the gas you may use. When I got it the shop said to put octane 87 in it. Other riders said put high test. I put 87 Octane in it and my miles per gallon got better.
These engines were designed and built to run just fine on 87 octane, thousands of posts about this. If you must, or prefer, running the 90 or 93 octane WITH NO ETHANOL in it, won't hurt you, but it's way more expensive, like .30, .40, .50, or more per gallon. I do use this un-ethanol exclusively for my lawn and garden equipment, along with Seafoam mixed in, to keep those tiny carbs and fuel lines from getting destroyed from 10% ethanol fuel. "Other riders" must have been HD guys, thats what they have to run.

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
... I just wanted to know if it would be uncomfortable after about 400 miles...
Hard to say if YOU will be uncomfortable after 400 miles but a good chance not. I've done several 1000+ days on the X without any issue at all. Guess the most on the X in a short time was the SS2000 listed below, 2152 mi in 2 days or about 40 hrs. Done a couple 10K trips too, one to Alaska and a lower 43 state tour. My first 1200 mile single day was when it was new stock from southern florida to northern Pa. My back and neck were very painful, butt was numb and hurting at the same time. Second time I did it back and forth with an ultimate seat and moderate pullbacks Phat II. Still a little shoulder blade pain but not much. Then went to the Phat IIIX risers, I think 6.5" pullback, perfect! Since then with the bike setup I made that trip a few times back and forth to my daughter's always in a single day with no problem.

You have the seat so that is a big help, common to get pain in the upper back and neck from reaching too far forward. You can reduce this with risers that put the handles closer to you and I find it helps to tilt them down a little for a more neutral wrist position. It's possible there may be pullback risers on yours already. Not much aftermarket out there anymore so if risers are not an option a backrest will take the strain from holding yourself forward, but if the bars are in the right position you won't need a backrest, if a backrest isn't an option you can pile your gear on the backseat at the right postion to support your back and cinch it tight with straps, not bungee cords. The floorboards are excellent on the R,S,T but good to have other options for a temporary time to get you out of that same leg knee position, a rollbar with pegs gives you a couple extra feet options. A throttle lock is great for giving the right wrist a rest it also allows you to lean a little different on your backrest just holding with the left hand.

Often overlooked is loud pipes, loud pipes are VERY physically draining. There is a reason street touring and adventure touring bikes are quiet. If you have loud pipes put something in your ears.

I had my bike set up where I said miles are simply irrelevant, more a matter of staying awake for the long miles. My son is also a long distance rider and when he rode my X the first time he asked if I ever fell asleep riding it, said it was like riding a lounge chair on wheels, truth is I have dozed a couple times and it is a terrible experience. In a car your head falls forward, on a bike your body falls to the side and its a rude awakening when you catch yourself.

Pics below; arms in relaxed position almost at side, the other, on cruise control seat and feet in relax mode.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle
Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive lighting White Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
It all depends on your height. I know if I had the Ultimate low boy (the lowering seat), I would be VERY uncomfortable. I am not sure about the mustang (never owned one), but I needed more leg room for a better knee angle. This makes the Big Boy seat perfect for me.

For the miles per tank. By bike has always used more fuel (87 octane) than others. But I also am calculating my miles per tank to a GPS verified number. I am convinced that most people who quote their miles per tank (and mpg) are using the inaccurate VTX speedo/mileometer, which is off by as much as 10%. I have a speedo corrector, and have accounted for the difference in speedo vs. mileometer inaccuracies. With my speedo dead on with GPS, my mileometer is now -4%.

I have a Batwing, so that will add to my lower mpg/mpt (miles per tank). I also have one of the highest HP/torque ratings on a 1300. My bike has been dyno tuned (68.3HP and 82.4 torque).

If I could get 220 miles per tank, I would think my VTX would be the perfect long distance rider. I have GPS, tunes, Hard bags, and a very comfortable seating position. With my throttle lock, and my engine guard mounted foot pegs, I can shift positions when needed.

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
94 Posts
It all depends on your height. I know if I had the Ultimate low boy (the lowering seat), I would be VERY uncomfortable. I am not sure about the mustang (never owned one), but I needed more leg room for a better knee angle. This makes the Big Boy seat perfect for me.

For the miles per tank. By bike has always used more fuel (87 octane) than others. But I also am calculating my miles per tank to a GPS verified number. I am convinced that most people who quote their miles per tank (and mpg) are using the inaccurate VTX speedo/mileometer, which is off by as much as 10%. I have a speedo corrector, and have accounted for the difference in speedo vs. mileometer inaccuracies. With my speedo dead on with GPS, my mileometer is now -4%.

I have a Batwing, so that will add to my lower mpg/mpt (miles per tank). I also have one of the highest HP/torque ratings on a 1300. My bike has been dyno tuned (68.3HP and 82.4 torque).

If I could get 220 miles per tank, I would think my VTX would be the perfect long distance rider. I have GPS, tunes, Hard bags, and a very comfortable seating position. With my throttle lock, and my engine guard mounted foot pegs, I can shift positions when needed.
I have the Mustang seat on the 1800R and it is comfortable for me. I am only 5'-2" and have learned through the years all the tricks to lower a machine to a comfort level out of sheer necessity LOL. One of those tricks is trimming the front 4 rubber bumpers down to the rivets. It lowers the front of the seat by 3/8" to 1/2" and there is an added bonus to that. It also puts the back of the seat more firm against your rear which kinda hugs you into the seat better. You would think that the front of the seat would get loose lowering it like that. but the cushion part keeps it seated at the tank. You could flex the front metal tab to hold it tighter if you wanted to, but I haven't had any issues.
I know my mileage doesn't matter due to it being an 1800, but your statement concerning GPS gives me a reason to verify mine. We all learn everyday. :) It also got me to thinking that these bikes depending on model have different size tires. Maybe that has something to do with each one being slightly different. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2003 VTX1800R
94 Posts
Here are a couple of pics of the Mustang seat bumpers. If anyone needs every possible option for lowering, this is a quick and dirty one that costs at worst a cut finger. LOL
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Trunk
Automotive tire Bumper Tire Rim Automotive exterior

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Registered
2008, 1800C
73 Posts
Happy New Year to all.

A question for the collective...

There has been some babble on the newsgroups and locally in regards to the 1300 not being able to tour for any king of distance over 300-500 miles without issues.
dang .. just realised old thread 🤣
I’ve only had my 1800c for a few months yet had endless 750’s & 1100’s. If someone were to tell me that a Honda 1300cc cruiser was not good for a day in the saddle then I’d question their thinking.

·
Registered
4 Posts
dang .. just realised old thread 🤣
I’ve only had my 1800c for a few months yet had endless 750’s & 1100’s. If someone were to tell me that a Honda 1300cc cruiser was not good for a day in the saddle then I’d question their thinking.
Yes its an old post. But I just got a 04 vtx1300s. And wanted to ride it to Florida we are moving there March 2022 or April.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts