Honda VTX Forum banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hard to say if YOU will be uncomfortable after 400 miles but a good chance not. I've done several 1000+ days on the X without any issue at all. Guess the most on the X in a short time was the SS2000 listed below, 2152 mi in 2 days or about 40 hrs. Done a couple 10K trips too, one to Alaska and a lower 43 state tour. My first 1200 mile single day was when it was new stock from southern florida to northern Pa. My back and neck were very painful, butt was numb and hurting at the same time. Second time I did it back and forth with an ultimate seat and moderate pullbacks Phat II. Still a little shoulder blade pain but not much. Then went to the Phat IIIX risers, I think 6.5" pullback, perfect! Since then with the bike setup I made that trip a few times back and forth to my daughter's always in a single day with no problem.

You have the seat so that is a big help, common to get pain in the upper back and neck from reaching too far forward. You can reduce this with risers that put the handles closer to you and I find it helps to tilt them down a little for a more neutral wrist position. It's possible there may be pullback risers on yours already. Not much aftermarket out there anymore so if risers are not an option a backrest will take the strain from holding yourself forward, but if the bars are in the right position you won't need a backrest, if a backrest isn't an option you can pile your gear on the backseat at the right postion to support your back and cinch it tight with straps, not bungee cords. The floorboards are excellent on the R,S,T but good to have other options for a temporary time to get you out of that same leg knee position, a rollbar with pegs gives you a couple extra feet options. A throttle lock is great for giving the right wrist a rest it also allows you to lean a little different on your backrest just holding with the left hand.

Often overlooked is loud pipes, loud pipes are VERY physically draining. There is a reason street touring and adventure touring bikes are quiet. If you have loud pipes put something in your ears.

I had my bike set up where I said miles are simply irrelevant, more a matter of staying awake for the long miles. My son is also a long distance rider and when he rode my X the first time he asked if I ever fell asleep riding it, said it was like riding a lounge chair on wheels, truth is I have dozed a couple times and it is a terrible experience. In a car your head falls forward, on a bike your body falls to the side and its a rude awakening when you catch yourself.

Pics below; arms in relaxed position almost at side, the other, on cruise control seat and feet in relax mode.

View attachment 196072 View attachment 196073
Fuel tank Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Wheel

Plant Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Looks to me like you are setup to ride anywhere in north america, 400 miles in a day is nothing. Just be sure you have a voltmeter or voltage led to be sure your stator is keeping up with the sound system or the farther you ride the more discharged the battery becomes, stop and shut off the bike and that could be the end.

Reactions: Blast

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I've ridden all over most of the US and a lot of Northeastern Canada on my 18C. Had the stock saddle cut down and recovered with real leather back in '07. Probably the best mod I ever did. As others have said; The first step in being able (and willing) to do long days riding is being comfortable. If you are just tolerating some aspect of your set-up on normal rides, it will haunt you when trying to go long distance. Also, enduro is right on the money about running some sort of charge indicator. An excellent addition regardless of added electrical equipment. Essential if you have added gear. The X does not have a lot of 'extra' watts available.

Reactions: rangers4u

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
LD riding is a personal thing. I have ran into Goldwing and Harley Ultra riders who consider 300 or 400 mile days a long hard day.
LD riding takes conditioning and practice Just as LD running.

At 59 and 26 years since riding a motorcycle I bought my VTX1300R. I began with a MSF course. I then rode at least 100 miles each time I rode and with no plan to be an LD rider. I rode with increases up to 750 miles in a day.

My X began with a windshield, Highway bars with pegs, and a Break-Away throttle lock. My first few LD rides were with the X set up this way. I slowly added to it as i found something to make it a better ride. I was getting buffeting above 65 or 70 so I added a “black lip” around it. I can’t remember the brand. I have mentioned it in other posts. This gave me many more mph without buffeting.

I finally had Mean City Cycles add a gel pack to my seat. Nothing magic but might have improved my almost comfortable seat. I added lowers and chaps for the Highway bars. Great improvement for wind protection. I added Motolights (LED) and RIVCO H-4 driving lights and Silver Star Ultra bulbs for night riding. Since, I have replaced the headlight with a VTX Daymaker, great.

Some time early on I added a 1.8 gallon auxiliary fuel tank so I could go 200 miles between fuel stops. Thank you Enduro, it has been great.

My first of many certified Iron Butt Association rides was after being back in the saddle only 6 months. It was a Saddle Sore 1000, 1150 miles in 23 hrs On my X equipped as I bought it. Through piss poor planning it took me about 23 hours and taught me many lessons to help in future touring and IBA rides.

My longest Saddle Sore 1000 has been 1250 miles in 18 hrs. I guess my certified ride with the most miles in the least time was 1960 miles in 35hrs 45 minutes. If I’d planned to ride that far I could have qualified for a Saddle Sore 2000 Gold, 2000 miles in 36 hours. I did not know I had done it until I was home. i already had a couple of SS200s (2000 miles in 48 hrs) so I was satisfied with one of the most, if not the most miles for a Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles in 36 hrs).

As you can see the VTX 1300 is plenty capable of many long distant rides and serious touring. Mine has taken me on many fun rides and camping adventures.

I did a trip from Dallas to Yellowknife via Hyder, AK, and Yukon Territory. I rode 9,000 miles in 13 days at age 66. This included two Saddle Sore 2000 mile rides.

My last LD ride on the X was the Spring Equinox Saddle Sore 1000 in March 2021. At that time it had 144,000 miles on it and I was 72. I have about 20 certified Iron Butt rides on the X. It has taken me to 49 states and all Canadian Provinces/territories except Newfoundland/Labrador and of course Nunavut, no roads to it.

I now split the duties between my VTX and my Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I still like my VTX 1300R.

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
LD riding is a personal thing. I have ran into Goldwing and Harley Ultra riders who consider 300 or 400 mile days a long hard day.
LD riding takes conditioning and practice Just as LD running.

At 59 and 26 years since riding a motorcycle I bought my VTX1300R. I began with a MSF course. I then rode at least 100 miles each time I rode and with no plan to be an LD rider. I rode with increases up to 750 miles in a day.

My X began with a windshield, Highway bars with pegs, and a Break-Away throttle lock. My first few LD rides were with the X set up this way. I slowly added to it as i found something to make it a better ride. I was getting buffeting above 65 or 70 so I added a “black lip” around it. I can’t remember the brand. I have mentioned it in other posts. This gave me many more mph without buffeting.

I finally had Mean City Cycles add a gel pack to my seat. Nothing magic but might have improved my almost comfortable seat. I added lowers and chaps for the Highway bars. Great improvement for wind protection. I added Motolights (LED) and RIVCO H-4 driving lights and Silver Star Ultra bulbs for night riding. Since, I have replaced the headlight with a VTX Daymaker, great.

Some time early on I added a 1.8 gallon auxiliary fuel tank so I could go 200 miles between fuel stops. Thank you Enduro, it has been great.

My first of many certified Iron Butt Association rides was after being back in the saddle only 6 months. It was a Saddle Sore 1000, 1150 miles in 23 hrs On my X equipped as I bought it. Through piss poor planning it took me about 23 hours and taught me many lessons to help in future touring and IBA rides.

My longest Saddle Sore 1000 has been 1250 miles in 18 hrs. I guess my certified ride with the most miles in the least time was 1960 miles in 35hrs 45 minutes. If I’d planned to ride that far I could have qualified for a Saddle Sore 2000 Gold, 2000 miles in 36 hours. I did not know I had done it until I was home. i already had a couple of SS200s (2000 miles in 48 hrs) so I was satisfied with one of the most, if not the most miles for a Bun Burner 1500 (1500 miles in 36 hrs).

As you can see the VTX 1300 is plenty capable of many long distant rides and serious touring. Mine has taken me on many fun rides and camping adventures.

I did a trip from Dallas to Yellowknife via Hyder, AK, and Yukon Territory. I rode 9,000 miles in 13 days at age 66. This included two Saddle Sore 2000 mile rides.

My last LD ride on the X was the Spring Equinox Saddle Sore 1000 in March 2021. At that time it had 144,000 miles on it and I was 72. I have about 20 certified Iron Butt rides on the X. It has taken me to 49 states and all Canadian Provinces/territories except Newfoundland/Labrador and of course Nunavut, no roads to it.

I now split the duties between my VTX and my Yamaha Royal Star Venture. I still like my VTX 1300R.
Would you mind telling us more about this "black lip" device?

Reactions: DrDolittle

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Would you mind telling us more about this "black lip" device?
Not at all. I’ll have to wait until I get home Monday to find the name of it. It may look ugly to some but I am more interested in function.

Time out!

After an exhaustive search of the internet I found the name, Saenz/TA Stealth Edging. I found the write up on motorcycle.com from August 11, 1999.

I’ll try to find the company’s web site.

Here it is: www.saeng.com. 1-800-868-7464. They sell direct. Not sure if still in business but it works great. I put it all around my Memphis Shades WS.

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Not at all. I’ll have to wait until I get home Monday to find the name of it. It may look ugly to some but I am more interested in function.

Time out!

After an exhaustive search of the internet I found the name, Saenz/TA Stealth Edging. I found the write up on motorcycle.com from August 11, 1999.

Here it is: www.saeng.com. 1-800-868-7464. They sell direct. Not sure if still in business but it works great. I put it all around my Memphis Shades WS.
I'm guessing much like the little stabilizers on a jet wing, it disturbs the immediate airflow along the edge of a w/s to make a difference? The black edging probably takes a bit of getting used to from having a clear 'view'. FWIW, I'm running a Clearview brand shield. Slightly thicker than the Hondaline it replaced.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
yes it take getting used to. I was already looking over the WS so it didn’t take long.
I have a Clear View on my Royal Star Venture. it is thicker and better than the Yamaha OEM. Don’t have lip on it.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Time out!

I'd like to hear your opinion of add-on windshield deflectors. (or wing-tips, as Saeng calls them) https://saeng.com/product/wing-tip/#reviews

41 - 49 of 49 Posts