Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last few days the bike has taken considerably longer to warm up.
The engine misses beats when it should be fine.

Today in an effort to learn my bike better I removed the air cleaner cover just to look inside. After taking out the air filter I found small yet substantial pools of gas and some minor foam.

I don't know enough about this type of thing to say it's OK or you got a prob, son.

I don't choke it excessively long. I read in the manual to cut the choke ASAP and I do.

Anyhow, Any helpers on this one?

BTW the air cleaner bottom is saturated with gas

Thanks

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
Everything you have found is normal.The oil is from the crankcase , it vents into the air box. The gas is from carb spit back nothing to worry about . If the bike isn't running as it should check the plugs. If you have to use the choke push it in as soon as the engine fires. In temps over 40 I don't use the choke at all. The carb has an accelerator pump twist the grip a couple times and fire it, work the throttle for a few seconds and it should idle on its own.

·
Registered
431 Posts
SicTexVTX said:
Might give the idle adjusment a tweak. Just a bump up.
WelshRob:

SicTexVTX gots good advice here! I fought that for weeks, it would take ,seems like 5 min or more before i could get the bike to idle without me on grip. Bumped the idle up 1/4 turn and it's off to work even in the 40's..
Dont know what your setup is, but mine was caused by drilling the pipes, it runs great now.

Drive safe:

X-treme-X

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
silvervtx04s said:
Everything you have found is normal.The oil is from the crankcase , it vents into the air box. The gas is from carb spit back nothing to worry about . If the bike isn't running as it should check the plugs. If you have to use the choke push it in as soon as the engine fires. In temps over 40 I don't use the choke at all. The carb has an accelerator pump twist the grip a couple times and fire it, work the throttle for a few seconds and it should idle on its own.
Thanks silvervtx04s,

I feel much better about what I found. No more choke.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so I may crank the idle is this where it is, Kinda

When I had the cover off and filter out I saw a thumbscrew about here

Unfortunatly I didn't get a snap but is that about where the idle adjust is?

Thanks Guys 8)

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
The idle knob is at the bottom center of the air box. Be sure to bend down and look because the air box drain is beside the idle knob.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts