Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In 3 weeks I will be rolling through Fargo, ND, Billings, MT, Spokane, WA & Blaine, WA. So I'm reaching out to see if anyone in those areas can give me a better idea of the usual weather/riding conditions in those areas during a typical early July. I have a couple of weather apps, but wanted to see what the local riders would suggest in regards to weather, clothing, etc. as I pack up for the trip.

Thanks,
DEz

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Will be hot eastern Washington then when you get to the western side it can be cool high temp today in everett was 66.
Summer almost never hits till after the 4th of July.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will be hot eastern Washington then when you get to the western side it can be cool high temp today in everett was 66.
Summer almost never hits till after the 4th of July.
I'll be rolling through Washington somewhere around 8-10 depending on the weather conditions along the way. So let's hope it stays warm.

Last time I was that far north, actually further, I was in Canada and ended up buying a winter riding jacket in July... I'm trying to avoid repeating that this trip. :wink2:

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Are you heading down the west coast to Mexico for that corner.
If so interstate 5 will be real hot over 100 then 101 on the coast can be low 50s and fog

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you heading down the west coast to Mexico for that corner.
If so interstate 5 will be real hot over 100 then 101 on the coast can be low 50s and fog
I was thinking about taking the coastal highway. Better site-seeing, but a lot depends on how long it takes me to get from Madawaska, ME to Blaine, WA.

Any suggestions on the route south to San Ysidro?

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
101 through Oregon and California at least to Frisco is good.
Leaving Blaine try to time it for night ride through Washington or you will be stuck in heavy traffic.
You don't want to be on I-5 from 5am till 10pm it is a big parking lot 7 days a week.

There was a land slide below Frisco that will have 101 closed in that section for around a year.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
101 through Oregon and California at least to Frisco is good.
Leaving Blaine try to time it for night ride through Washington or you will be stuck in heavy traffic.
You don't want to be on I-5 from 5am till 10pm it is a big parking lot 7 days a week.

There was a land slide below Frisco that will have 101 closed in that section for around a year.
So leave Blaine at night and make it as far south as possible through Washington state?? Then 101 from Oregon to Frisco. Where does 101 open back up? Or should I stick to I-5? I hate to spend that much time on the highway and miss the ocean view...

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Big Sur highway 1 is where the big slide happened.
As you head down in California you can ask how to get around it and not run interstate.

You can google slides on 101 and 1

·
Old Goat
24,760 Posts
I envy the chit out of ya.......be safe and enjoy...good luck

·
Registered
902 Posts
So leave Blaine at night and make it as far south as possible through Washington state?? Then 101 from Oregon to Frisco. Where does 101 open back up? Or should I stick to I-5? I hate to spend that much time on the highway and miss the ocean view...
Having travelled thru this area, and not being in a hurry, heading south to S.F., I would travel from Burlington Wa. to Deception pass on Hwy 20.

Don't miss Cannon Beach and Lincoln City on the Oregon coast and the sand dunes.

Visit San Simeon north of S.F. along the way.

I could get into more detail, but there's a lot to see.

Stay off I-5 if you can.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
IMHO if you are going to sight see along the way from Wa. to San ysidro, throw the time clock away. Alot to see, tons of traffic, no way you can really make time unless you ride from dusk to dawn. It depends on what you havent seen and want to see....imho. Me i would bail on 1 north of frisco towards Sacramento. LA is **** no matter the road. After San Diego you got nothing for a thousand miles...lol
Weather in the west can only be summed up this way. Be ready for all weather that exists on the planet except, typhoons. Rain, Hail, snow, cold, hot and no telling what will happen on day 2. You change altitude you change weather. jmo I have found my frogg toggs to be great in cold weather, gloves are another ordeal, as well as boots. I will probably add slip over rain boots this year to help. added slip over gloves last year. Rain gear packs away so easy, small space usage and so helpful.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Having travelled thru this area, and not being in a hurry, heading south to S.F., I would travel from Burlington Wa. to Deception pass on Hwy 20.

Don't miss Cannon Beach and Lincoln City on the Oregon coast and the sand dunes.

Visit San Simeon north of S.F. along the way.

I could get into more detail, but there's a lot to see.

Stay off I-5 if you can.
IMHO if you are going to sight see along the way from Wa. to San ysidro, throw the time clock away. Alot to see, tons of traffic, no way you can really make time unless you ride from dusk to dawn. It depends on what you havent seen and want to see....imho. Me i would bail on 1 north of frisco towards Sacramento. LA is **** no matter the road. After San Diego you got nothing for a thousand miles...lol
Weather in the west can only be summed up this way. Be ready for all weather that exists on the planet except, typhoons. Rain, Hail, snow, cold, hot and no telling what will happen on day 2. You change altitude you change weather. jmo I have found my frogg toggs to be great in cold weather, gloves are another ordeal, as well as boots. I will probably add slip over rain boots this year to help. added slip over gloves last year. Rain gear packs away so easy, small space usage and so helpful.
Well I'm running against the clock since I'm doing the 4 Corners but I'd like to see some sights along the way

Big Sur highway 1 is where the big slide happened.
As you head down in California you can ask how to get around it and not run interstate.

You can google slides on 101 and 1
Thanks for the info...I may have to figure out the best way to go once I get there... It may be more important to figure out the best time of day/night to travel though

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Never enough time to see even 1% of the west coast.
Stop long enough to dip the toes in the pacific ocean.

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
I always like the forest of Redwoods, Golden Gate, Coastline is always nice. A plan A and B might be in order, dependent on time and traffic. Just makes me want to RIDE.
As of tomorrow you will be a single digit midget. The anticipation of open road, not turning back after a few hundred miles, gas and go, the first hundred miles trying to remember what the hell you forgot....oh the excitement.......The X singing its song as the miles roll by........

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
I'm nervous for you after hearing about the coming heat wave in the southwest. Maybe it will be done by your arrival, but the radio mentioned "coming weeks" and "120 degrees in Phoenix" in the same sentence.

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm nervous for you after hearing about the coming heat wave in the southwest. Maybe it will be done by your arrival, but the radio mentioned "coming weeks" and "120 degrees in Phoenix" in the same sentence.
Not a problem for me. The last time I rode across NM & AZ it was about 115. The temperature and engine heat cooked the skin on my butt the seat was hot. It took a few says to adjust to afterwards. Now I ride with a sheepskin seat cover and a beaded seat cover. Lesson learned :banghead:

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Not a problem for me. The last time I rode across NM & AZ it was about 115. The temperature and engine heat cooked the skin on my butt the seat was hot. It took a few says to adjust to afterwards. Now I ride with a sheepskin seat cover and a beaded seat cover. Lesson learned :banghead:

Sheepskin is like a thermos. It helps keep your butt warm in the winter and cool in the summer.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am 70 miles south of Fargo.July is usualy hot(80-95) and humid.Heat can build up some pretty good thunderstorms late afternoon ,early evening.Around sunset you will have bugs.Have a safe trip!!

·
Registered
5,664 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am 70 miles south of Fargo.July is usualy hot(80-95) and humid.Heat can build up some pretty good thunderstorms late afternoon ,early evening.Around sunset you will have bugs.Have a safe trip!!
Thanks alot! I'll holler at you a couple days out from Fargo....just in case you want to put in some miles :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts