Honda VTX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to sell my Florida born, slightly tarnished and rusted x for an AZ vtx, lower miles without the rust or oxidation. I forgot what yr. to stay away from as the fuel pump is in the tank. (02 or 03?). There are some really nice looking ones, low mileage. Keeping price 5k and under. Any tips welcomed. This seller may take 5k...

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/phoenix-2003-honda-vtx-1800/7019460543.html

This one seller would take 4200..
https://mohave.craigslist.org/mcy/d/lake-havasu-city-2007-honda-vtx-1800/7015322961.html

Is the 07 any better than 03 model? I think not but don't know really.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
newer fuel system, newer computer, different turn signal electronics.

I would say... later 2004 or newer.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I believe '05 and up were improvements to the preceding years. That is what I read, on here, before buying my '05.

I'll see if I can find the post.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Decided to sell my Florida born, slightly tarnished and rusted x for an AZ vtx, lower miles without the rust or oxidation. I forgot what yr. to stay away from as the fuel pump is in the tank. (02 or 03?). There are some really nice looking ones, low mileage. Keeping price 5k and under. Any tips welcomed. This seller may take 5k...

https://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/mcy/d/phoenix-2003-honda-vtx-1800/7019460543.html

This one seller would take 4200..
https://mohave.craigslist.org/mcy/d/lake-havasu-city-2007-honda-vtx-1800/7015322961.html

Is the 07 any better than 03 model? I think not but don't know really.
What's wrong with the '02 or' 03 internal fuel pump? I have 2003 and a 2006 model. I had problem with the 2006's fuel system, but not with the 2003's. If there is rust or debris in the tank what sits on the bottom of the tank, in case of the new model, it will go down to the fuel pump housing and will plug the filter in it. It's a PIA to remove, disassemble, clean or replace it. In case of the older model, the pump and filter is sitting higher than the bottom of the tank, so a little debris or rust stays on the bottom and won't really cause problem ever. And if the pump (filter) has to be removed and cleaned, it's easier on the older system.
If an old rubber fuel line fails, on the older model only the running fuel pump may drain the tank. On the newer model it can happen when the bike just sitting in the garage or parking lot unattanded.
BTW, I had an other problem with the newer. There is a rubber O ring on the bottom of the tank at the fuel level sensor, that failed. Did not cause problem with lower fuel level in the tank, but when I filled up my tank at the gas station, half of the fuel drained on the engine and on to the asphalt, but (at least) when it stopped, I could ride home.
ECU is different, too, but won't notice it. I feel the older bike a little more powerful and responsive.
However, the later models' tank is bigger and better looking.

·
Registered
10,800 Posts
02-03 R/S are 1st Gen.. 04 and up R/S/N is 2nd gen
02-04 C is 1st Gen.. 05 and up C/F is 2 Gen

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
Some '02's had issues with the jugs scoring and burning oil. I had such a machine and still rode it like I stole it. I loved that bike. Still made good power.

With the internal fuel pump, only the fuel pressure regulator is a known problem. Easily solved in the short term, anyway.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
381 Posts
Very nice. Saves trying to clean all that Florida funk off the "T".

Congrats!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Very nice looking bike Maurice. Lots of great riding in AZ.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice looking bike Maurice. Lots of great riding in AZ.
It is and thank you. Thought I would need the mustang seat but figured a way around it. After about an hour plus when my ass started feeling it, I stood up and sat on the edge of the passenger seat. Perfect. Felt great, rode about 10 minutes like that, sat back on driver seat the rest of the 2.5 hr ride home.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
on the new ride buddy! I was surprised to see all the corrosion from the salty air in Florida.
Thanks. Seeing yours and Lee's bike is what motivated me. I thought, I would like my bike to look like that! There is a little discoloration on some metal under the headlight. Don't know if I can make it uniform. Might send some pics out soon and see what you or others think before I touch it other than with soap, water, fiber cloth. Very little though.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Lol, Well thats one way around it. I have an Ultimate seat on mine. Well worth it. Especially when he gives a discount when you send back your stock seat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts